D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Osgood

Adventurer
It's very curious that (presumably) WotC would request no more questions get answered. This sort of thing generates interest. I wonder if they thought the speculations and heated side discussions would have some negative impact on perceptions of the final product... if so, I guess they don't spend much time on the internet (which would explain a lot about their tech tools track record).

It's very curious that (presumably) WotC would request no more questions get answered. This sort of thing generates interest. I wonder if they thought the speculations and heated side discussions would have some negative impact on perceptions of the final product... if so, I guess they don't spend much time on the internet (which would explain a lot about their tech tools track record).

Yea, it seems weird to me as well, I've never seen anything like it. He bought and owns the book... why would there be any reason not to want someone to talk about a product they bought???

Iosue

Legend
This kind of thread kinda steals the thunder of the previews they're giving out. I can understand the inclination to ask that Niksandros not spoil anything until the early release date.

Fralex

Explorer
As has been mentioned elsewhere, this was not WotC's doing. The bookstore requested that he not share more content, and he decided to do what they requested.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

I disagree. I think the people who are posting in this thread already have interest (and intend to buy the book)... they just want fast information either because they want to begin using (or preparing to use) the rules in their games now, or just because getting "spoilers" can be a lot of fun.

It's the people who are receiving information they don't like that are the ones "losing interest" in the product... even though the information they are receiving is possibly partial, incomplete, or out of context of a larger ruleset. Now granted... these people probably are still going to buy the DMG regardless, but still... the amount of mud that gets thrown because WotC "screwed up again!" gets tiresome and might not even be warranted. So nipping that in the bud is in WotC's interest.

If people are going to rail against the game and WotC as a company... at least rail against after you've seen the actual rules in the context for which they appear.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
As has been mentioned elsewhere, this was not WotC's doing. The bookstore requested that he not share more content, and he decided to do what they requested.
Yes, the owner of the store contacted me, but it was WotC who asked him to relay the request to me.

In any event, I'll reiterate that I had no issues with the request and I complied forthwith.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yea, it seems weird to me as well, I've never seen anything like it. He bought and owns the book... why would there be any reason not to want someone to talk about a product they bought???
Because the book shouldn't have been sold that early in the first place Of course, they had no legal ground, but I understood their line of thinking and I found the request reasonable.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Let me also add that it wasn't the store who broke the street date. My store is very careful with this things. They got their shipment of the DMG with no street date whatsoever and put it on sale.

Nefzyflin

Explorer
Let me also add that it wasn't the store who broke the street date. My store is very careful with this things. They got their shipment of the DMG with no street date whatsoever and put it on sale.

And it's not like we have to wait a year for it. I'll have mine Nov 28th.

Eight days is just going to feel like a year.

I plan on buying two copies... Ya know... So I can read it twice. :)

Nef

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Aww, c'mon. If the store isn't aware of the commonly known street date of one of the biggest RPG releases of the year, it's not "being very careful with these things". Even small dogs in Southern China know the DMG's street date.... and if they didn't it's under 3 seconds search away! Sounds like a bit of a slip-up. Not the end of the world, though - these things happen! Somewhere in Canada was selling the other books early, IIRC.

Last edited:

Remove ads