D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Aww, c'mon. If the store isn't aware of the commonly known street date of one of the biggest RPG releases of the year, it's not being very careful with these things. Even small dogs in Southern China know the DMG's street date.... and if they didn't it's under 3 seconds search away!
Street dates are not numbers on WotC online catalog. Street dates are requirements that the company impose through official channels on the store. There was no street date on this product and the mistake wasn't on the store part. Quite frankly, since you are not aware of the details, lying the blame on the store is wholly out of place.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Street dates are not numbers on WotC online catalog. Street dates are requirements that the company impose through official channels on the store. There was no street date on this product and the mistake wasn't on the store part. Quite frankly, since you are not aware of the details, lying the blame on the store is wholly out of place.

"Lying the blame"? I don't blame anyone. I don't feel there is a need to burden anyone with guilt over this. Things happen; and this is a trivial thing indeed. Nobody should feel bad about this. But I stand by my point that they weren't being "very careful".

Information is information. The store not being aware of this piece of information is odd, given that people who don't run stores are aware of it. Equally odd is them not saying "hang on, everybody knows this isn't due for release until next week - I'd better be very careful and check!"

That said, I understand the owner is your friend, and likely in an awkward position right now because of this thread, so I've no intention of belaboring the point. I'll drop it. :)

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't think that the owner actually is in an awkward position, but I'll drop the issue as well. As you say, it's a minor thing and we can all concentrate on how WotC betrayed us by not including X and Y in the DMG. :)

Last edited:

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
It's not the store owner who is an awkward position, but someone who asked them to please cover for their mistake. Anyway, I'll drop the issue as well. As you say, it's a minor thing and we can all concentrate on how WotC betrayed us by not including X and Y in the DMG. :)
Well, since they've asked you to say no more and you agreed, I'm afraid I won't be buying the DMG based on principle.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
"Lying the blame"? I don't blame anyone. I don't feel there is a need to burden anyone with guilt over this. Things happen; and this is a trivial thing indeed. Nobody should feel bad about this. But I stand by my point that they weren't being "very careful".
Re-reading my the post that you replied to, I have to admit that I kind of over-reacted. I'm sorry, it's a bit of a stressful period for me (and the DMG has nothing to do with it :))

casterblaster

First Post
I wont be buying the book because people on this thread wont buy the book because of "certain rules or modules" are left out. If I bought the book then that would only fuel WOTC to upset these people in future releases and they wont buy those books either, in fact Im not going to buy any book of any kind period! Im going to burn all books from now on in fear of content that I expected or speculated to be in said books not being in said books!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Honestly, dissuading 'leaking' of information makes sense when (A) the early purchaser has admitted that he hasn't had a chance to read entirely through the book and is looking through it as he can to answer questions, and so (B) people are leaping to conclusions and causing 30-page rants that are being advertised across the internet over "what isn't in the book" over what one guy busy with lesson plans mentioned he didn't see with a quick glance. Nikosandros was doing everyone a solid, and the haters decided as usual that proving that their math was strongest was more important than being polite human beings. Rather than allow such childlike tantrums to color the release of a product (when most of said tantrums are likely based off wrong information anyway, since overlooking a paragraph in a quick scan can change all sorts of things), WotC and the store politely asked him to not answer more questions. Luckily, Nikosandros is an actual adult.

Now go back to arguing about armor, since nothing the "fan" community does anymore can surprise any of us...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Honestly, dissuading 'leaking' of information makes sense when (A) the early purchaser has admitted that he hasn't had a chance to read entirely through the book and is looking through it as he can to answer questions, and so (B) people are leaping to conclusions and causing 30-page rants that are being advertised across the internet over "what isn't in the book" over what one guy busy with lesson plans mentioned he didn't see with a quick glance. Nikosandros was doing everyone a solid, and the haters decided as usual that proving that their math was strongest was more important than being polite human beings. Rather than allow such childlike tantrums to color the release of a product (when most of said tantrums are likely based off wrong information anyway, since overlooking a paragraph in a quick scan can change all sorts of things), WotC and the store politely asked him to not answer more questions. Luckily, Nikosandros is an actual adult.

Now go back to arguing about armor, since nothing the "fan" community does anymore can surprise any of us...

Fans discussing games is not a problem. Fans not discussing games is a problem. The day fans stop obsessing about minute details of their products is the day WotC knows its really in trouble.

Plenty of companies would kill to have fans desperate to dissect their latest product before release. That is a privilege, not a burden. I hope WotC knows that.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I just love how history repeats itself with these threads...

1) New major book is coming out
2) Lucky gamer finds a shop where they sell the book earlier, thread starts. Lucky gamer on the other hand always declares to be uncannily too busy to follow up
3) Questions flood, answers follow for a day or two, thread becomes most popular thread of the week; in the first thread pages, half of the people already declare the whole edition is broken because of something that grants +3 instead of +2
4) Lucky gamer disappears, thread is taken over by people who don't have the book but still want to post answers on his behalf
5) Micro-fights start here and there over minutia, but always leading to the conclusion that the edition is broken
6) Questions start shifting towards the type "please I absolutely need to know if the Horn of Earbursting deals 1d8 or 1d8+1 damage before I buy the book, my decision on playing new edition entirely depends on this!"
7) [MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION] writes this useless post
8) Another lucky gamer gets the book, and being a little less busy (but also too generous) accepts to answers questions of the Horn of Earbusting type
9) Moderator steps in and warns "please at least don't post scans..."
10) Everybody starts to get the book. Thread dies, or rather questions stop but thread lives on for a while about the Horn of Earbusting being the proof that the edition is broken

I don't think it's useless. I think it's a work of art. :lol:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I just love how history repeats itself with these threads...

1) New major book is coming out
2) Lucky gamer finds a shop where they sell the book earlier, thread starts. Lucky gamer on the other hand always declares to be uncannily too busy to follow up
3) Questions flood, answers follow for a day or two, thread becomes most popular thread of the week; in the first thread pages, half of the people already declare the whole edition is broken because of something that grants +3 instead of +2
4) Lucky gamer disappears, thread is taken over by people who don't have the book but still want to post answers on his behalf

I know that you are mostly joking, but there is nothing uncanny about my being busy. It is truly a very demanding time at school and this is compounded by a moderate health problem that has me working with reduced efficiency.

Also, I haven't disappeared. As I extensively explained, I've been kindly asked to stop providing spoilers.

Remove ads