• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I've jealously held on to that pdf just for those tables. I won't use them, exactly, but they provide inspiration (and thus advantage on my NPC's attacks, right?).
What playtest are those tables in?

Molto grazie a Nikosandros.
bow.gif

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Dammit! Now I want an Oprah!

"You get an Oprah, and you get an Oprah, and you get an Oprah..."

I agree with those warning about going ballistic about one guy – a man busy with his own life preparing lesson plans instead of scouring a DMG – not noticing every detail that may be hidden. Remember that much of the nuance of the PHB rules were missed on folks' first go around. I think that we'll find a lot of the "I don't see..." issues turn out to be actually present in slightly different forms than folks are asking* or in ways that are missed at this point without a clear read through.

*I don't know whether, with mainly American folks yelling at a customer Rome about specifics, whether idiomatic language issues might come into play. I have enough dialect issues sometimes communicating with folks across the river from me, much less the ocean, when it comes to the weird constructed technical languages that we nerd invent for ourselves!

(In the meanwhile, everyone gets one Oprah to pass the time!)

Tormyr

Hero
A magic shield is a broken item combination. Magic armor is already common in the game, we were stuck with it. Adding a magic shield to it is a busted combination, it shouldn't have existed.

On top of that you are now changing the tradeoff from SAB to THF being 2 AC to being 5AC which should be setting off bounded accuracy alarm bells by itself.

You keep saying bounded accuracy is broken by different things. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

Sure, there is a trade off between sword and board and two weapon fighting, but that is nothing new. For the purposes of discussion, if one were to give the SAB a magical shield, one might as well give the THF another magical weapon. The specializations increase the differentiation between the two.

Magic armor isn't common in this game. It is Rare. At the point where large magical AC bonuses are kicking in, the bad guys either have high to hit bonuses (high CR) or there are so many of them that some hits are going to get through anyway (low CR).

The bounded accuracy still works because the heavily armored fighter (+3 plate, +2 shield) is still within range of a majority (anything with a +6 to hit or a magic user) of the creatures in the MM without needing a crit.

Pensquiggle

First Post
Hi & thanks for this.

If you get a chance ~ are there Ability Score Modifiers for Age for Characters? In 2nd edition you lost Strength, Con & Dex at Middle, Old & Venerable Age and gained Intelligence & Wisdom. Is this included (& briefly, what are they)?

Thanks again.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You keep saying bounded accuracy is broken by different things. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't even play the game. One thing I have found to be as reliable as rain in Oregon, is that actual play of 5e isn't like theorycrafting. Just too many other factors that typically come up that make all these alleged concerns not a problem at all.

Remove ads