I Want More Nentir Vale!

erleni

First Post
I'd like to see more "sandboxes" from the core world. I'd like to see a warmer setting, a coastal region, a desert... There are lots of cool things that simply have no place in the Nentir Vale (snake-infested jungles, back alley fights with pirates, etc). The geography is very limited, currently.

I would like to see something with the same feeling of the Red Steel box. I loved it.

Scribble

First Post
Sounds like you're asking for a Nentir Vale, oh what's the word, right, a Nentir Vale ... gazetteer.

Sounds good to me.

Yeah- I wouldn't mind that book... I also wouldn't mind it if they just released a monthly Dungeon column though. :)

Building on that: the Nentir Vale is a self-contained region, and is quite a lot of fun; so let's have lots of other self-contained regions in the same vein, with no specified geographic relation to one another, so they can be mixed-and-matched at the DM's whim.

I wouldn't mind this either, as long as it was easy for me to mix and match them as I saw fit, and doing so didn't make things too jumbly...

I would like to see something with the same feeling of the Red Steel box. I loved it.

I think it would be cool if they resurrected the old Princess Ark column... Only this time the Ark was exploring the NEW Known world. :)

Every month they'd add little expansions to the world... No big books filled with an overabundance of info... Just magazine articles expanding upon a new place each month.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I could see Nentir Vale being good for a couple of things. First, beginning gamers. If I was a DM and wanted something simple, that would be a good setting to start with. Also, I could see it being used as a place to drop into any setting.

At the same time, I think they could have taken an area in an existing vanilla setting, and developed it for the same purpose. Now, maybe you might want to stay away from the Realms with all its lore, but you could have developed an area within Greyhawk, perhaps in Western Oerik, or in Mystara.

There are several ways of going about things, and the way they went is about as good as any other.

• Keep on the Borderlands. Great nostalgia location.

When I think of Keep on the Borderlands, I don't think of Nentir Vale. It may have been ported there, but most folks will associate it with Greyhawk (or possibly Mystara, as there were some ties there, IIRC).

Scribble

First Post
I could see Nentir Vale being good for a couple of things. First, beginning gamers. If I was a DM and wanted something simple, that would be a good setting to start with. Also, I could see it being used as a place to drop into any setting.

Begining gamers sure- but I think even though I like settings with a lot of "specialty" flavor... I always come back to good ol fashioned vanilla. :p

A place where you can plop pretty much anything.

At the same time, I think they could have taken an area in an existing vanilla setting, and developed it for the same purpose. Now, maybe you might want to stay away from the Realms with all its lore, but you could have developed an area within Greyhawk, perhaps in Western Oerik, or in Mystara.

What I like about it I think is it feels... More frontier like?

Sure it's easy enough to ignore the history, and back story of settings as old as the ones above... But there's just something I like about a fresh new place like this.

It feels like I'm part of the experience I guess?

That's kind of why I'd like the world expanded on... But not like REALLY expanded on... More like articles that can be popped in if I wanted, and nothing huge campaign changing... Like no Gods and stuff. :p

Articles like describing Elven clans, or a Dwarven Stronghold... Or about different organizations I could pop into the world.

Maybe go from section to section, describe a few key things leaving a lot of room to grow, then move on to another locale on the world...

When I think of Keep on the Borderlands, I don't think of Nentir Vale. It may have been ported there, but most folks will associate it with Greyhawk (or possibly Mystara, as there were some ties there, IIRC).

I kind of feel like KoTB is kind of nowhere... I never associated it with any particular setting.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I also am a fan of the Vale, which is why in some ways I was saddened when several products that were released were theoretically near the Vale... but were actually off the map. The King of the Trollhaunt Warrens module I think takes place southwest of the Witchlight Fens... the Vor Rukoth ruined city I think is east of Harkenwold over the Dawnforge Mountains. I would have much rather had these locations be within the Vale itself, helping to flesh out certain places just like the KotS, Thunderspire, and Hammerfast products did.

I also really want to know any of the Barony of Harkenwold details from the DMs Kit (without actually having to buy the DMs Kit) because my players completed an adventure based upon the Roll vs Role article 'The Longest Night' from Dragon 370 where the party comes to the aid of Harkenwold to defeat the red dragon Cazakk and then is rewarded by becoming heirs to the barony throne. That's why I was hoping for the Nentir Vale Gazeteer product too... because there's a lot of fluff stuff that was written about the Vale in the early 4E Dragon and Dungeon magazines that could be compiled.

So this may be a silly question, but does the novel Seal of Karga Kul take place in the Nentir Vale, or same world? If so, they have added a few tidbits, including a new city Avankil and some desert areas, all part of what's called the Dragondown coast. Or is this part of some other setting?

The Dragondown Coast is part of the same world as the Nentir Vale. Back when they first announced the now likely cancelled Nentir Vale Gazetteer there was a note in a WotC podcast I think that said the Dragondown Coast was the next area to be detailed after the Nentir Vale.

caudor

Adventurer
Nentir Vale reminds me of the old product called 'Thunder Rift'. Anybody remember that?

The natural evolution of a campaign setting is to start in a small region and expand outward from there. I think that is how most campaign worlds get started.

Remove ads