I Want More Nentir Vale!

I'm a huge fan of the Nentir Vale.

That said, they've said as much about the Nentire Vale as they need to.

I'm as busy a D&Der as they come with kids and career and other responsibilities. I run published adventures pretty much exclusively. But that doesn't mean I don't customize those published adventures to the world the players and I create together each week.

Wanting more "official" canon is wanting too much more consistency for much too small a gain.

Or in other words:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

NhojGnol

First Post
Well, Hello Everyone,

From a "4E newbie or returning oldster :D " I like The vale for the same reasons that many here have stated; It's Simplicity. It has the feeling of some of the original AD&D settings I used to game in. Also some of the "early" FR stuff; before all the books and box madness. I guess "vanilla" is the best fit here.

I would like to see a slow and careful progression of expansion; attempting to keep the simplicity and the "universal" feeling of the additions.

Part of the alure of the vale, for me, is the fact it can be dropped in any world and fit; or a world built around it. Another part is the size of the vale. It's "Just Right" to get started in without being overwhelmed. I would hope the new areas keep that same feeling/usefulness.

There is also the fact that it is not "Lore heavy" as stated in many other posts (nuff said) :)

Either way, we as players and DM's will continue to do what we have always done; Use what we need or like and toss the rest. (way simplified, I admit)

Just my .02c worth;
Nhoj (Yea it's John backwards, let the flames begin :lol: )

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Just to confirm, I don't really want loads more details about the Nentir Vale (the map we've all seen and loved), I want a map of what's outside the Vale, a few alluring names of places, the odd article about a bunch of Halfling Bargee folk that eat cactus and would gut your mother as soon as look at you.

A map with dark places with names like-

Lost Souls Mire
Helscar
Forlorn Mountains

And doted points of light struggling still to keep out the dark, too isolated to stand shoulder to shoulder, like the Vale much battered and broken by the humanoid storms they've had to weather.

I want Geography with pockets of flavour that can be meh'ed or yeah'ed as suits, a nice big continent wide map with the names of terrible places- ideally now I think about it I want the entire continent to be a lot darker than many of us imagine and the points of light to be few and far between, pockets of resistance, struggling to stay afloat in a see of troubles.

That's what I want- more of the Nentir Vale, expand the map.

Again, pretty please.

I think 4e is ready for a continent now, or even a fresh world, slow build- not too much detail, a map to begin...

Cheers Goonalan

Klaus

First Post
The recent Backdrop: Mistwatch article was an awesome way to expand on the vale, zooming in on a smaller region (in this case, a fishing town in the northern part of the vale).

Ditto on the Reavers of Harkenwold module in the DM Kit, which further detailed that part of the vale (including maps for two towns).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I also would like some more info, A map of the wider region and some detail on Falcrest.
There's plenty of information on Falcon Crest here.

Falcon_Crest.jpg

ourchair

First Post
I never really followed the Nentir Vale, though I do use the "Core World" as the assumption in my Chaos Scar game.

I'd really support having a Nentir book if only because I couldn't be bothered to piece together the world from various details spread between the various books.

caudor

Adventurer
Wanting more "official" canon is wanting too much more consistency for much too small a gain.

I'm afraid I don't understand how more information about the default campaign world of D&D is wanting too much consistency. Anything written about the Nentir Vale can simply be enjoyed or ignored.

To me, the lore of PoL is very well done and hints at other wonders yet to be revealed.

I like what they have done and don't see anything wrong with wanting more. To me, more Nentir Vale would be a big gain.

Phaezen

First Post
From DDXP - The Nentir Vale related products are:
Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale (June)
Not just monsters, organizations are introduced:

• Raven Roost Bandits
  • Ironwood Circle
  • Tigerclaw Barbarians
  • Bandit groups
  • Drow group
Conquest of Nerath (June)

• More Axis and Allies style
  • HUGE box with a big map showing more of the world around Nentir Vale
  • Shows several of the factions in the area
    • Faction based on the Nentir Vale area/adventurers
    • Elven Faction
    • Evil monster faction
    • Lawful-Evil Slaver / Infernal Posessed faction

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'm afraid I don't understand how more information about the default campaign world of D&D is wanting too much consistency. Anything written about the Nentir Vale can simply be enjoyed or ignored.

I understand your point and I could use a little more info. but the vagueness of the info is its appeal I think.

Otherwise we could just say "Anything written about the Forgotten Realms can simply be enjoyed or ignored."

So we can do this with any campaign setting using your theory. But I think the appeal of the Nentir Veil is the same appeal Greyhawk used to have...easily adapted because of the blanks and lack of details.

If they put out a whole lot of info on the Nentir Veil, that's more ignoring I have to do, and in my opinion, would make the Vale just the latest in a line of over produced settings*.

(*your mileage may vary)

Scribble

First Post
Yep... That's how I feel. There's a fine line between more detail, and too much detail.

I want a general description of the world as a whole, with some more detail that's generic enough to be popped in or out as needed.

I want something more like the Realms in the Grey box (but even a bit less info then that)... Not the realms from 3e. :)

Remove ads