• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part I

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=O3]"I believe there was a brief search that came up empty, or maybe that wild animals had gotten her, I'm not sure. The girl represented one less mouth to feed, one less future to worry about being squandered in this dead end of a town. I think people forgot quickly enough."[/sblock]

When Trenton returns Nav takes a long pull of his ale and makes small talk, "So Trenton, where is it that you hail from? Locally? Abroad?"

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=Nav]"Hmm. Strange that they'd let her disappearance go unquestioned, but keep her legacy so strong."[/sblock]

As Trenton returns, Alexis rises and makes to leave. "Forgive me gentlemen, but I think it best i go and make sure i'm thoroughly prepared for our journey tomorrow. I'm sure one of you can make sure my ale doesn't go wasted.

I will see you both early on the morrow."

With that she returns to her boarding house and prepares for the journey ahead.

michael_noah

First Post
Boldak trudges home after one more weary day in Diamond Lake. Passing beggars on the street, he easily ignores their pathetic requests for coins. He pauses to examine the wares of some shopkeepers as they close their stalls for the night, but realizes that his purse is too empty, though he could sorely use more supplies if the trip to Whispering Cairn takes more than a day or two.

At the boarding house, he is not greeted by any other residents, as they are out spending what little pay they've received on frivolous pleasures. He quickly prepares his pack for the day ahead, what little there is to prepare at least. Before retiring he mutters what amounts to more of an oath than a prayer, and to no god in particular, "...let me wake, and let the damn world not do me in tomorrow either."

As the first slivers of sunlight appear outside, the dwarf rises though no light makes its way into the windowless room he is afforded. With nought else to do, he straps on his armor, takes up his pack and weapons, and makes his way toward the intended meeting.

worthley

First Post
Trenton picks up the coin, and heads to the bar. Upon returning he remarks, "I should head out after this one, and get ready for tomorrow"

Responding to Nav's question, Trenton states, "I am from a wheat farm just outside of town. Before that, I'm not sure. I was purchased by the owner to be a farm hand, when I was younger than I could remember. Now, some miners forced a purchase of the farm, and I'm out of work. What about you? What's your story?"

Last edited:

TiCaudata

First Post
"My story is a long and complicated one, best explained over many rounds." Nav gives a wink and a nod, "Preferrably explained while someone else is buying.

Succinctly though, I was born in town, orphaned a number of years back, and have spent most of my days on the street getting by however I can. Someday, and hopefully soon, I will be out of this hole, and living in another town, if their streets if I must."

"The others may be right. Tomorrow's morn will come early and I have much to do before the night ends. See you when the kham next graces our presence.
Nav bows politely, double checks that the ale has not been wasted, and leaves to gather what few belongings he has and might need tomorrow.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Day 2

Your night begins to wind down as you say your farewells for the evening. Though for others, the night is only beginning. As always, the most destitute wander the streets hoping to find luck or charity. It seems an evening service at the church of St. Cuthbert recently let out, and the church patrons have a fire in their eyes that is probably just a hint of the fire that Jierian Wierus tried to stir in them. Swanky looking men head to the Emporium and the Midnight Salute for a night of mock love. And as you depart the Feral Dog, a group led by an ugly albino half-orc comes in looking to watch the night's dogfights in the pits.

Apart from the general hubbub that seems the custom in filth of Diamond Lake, nothing of special interest seems to happen this night.

Morning comes and brings with it a light rain. In some places the rain would probably seem refreshing and cleansing. In Diamond Lake the wetness instead accents the filth, turning dirt into mud, and gives rise to a smell like mold or wet dog hanging in the air. All in all, it is probably a good day to escape from the town, even if on an idle fancy.

But today your fancies are hardly idle. Rather, they are dreams of desperation.

After taking care of your morning routines, you soon find yourselves on the northeast road leading out of Diamond Lake with the companions that you met only yestereve.

[sblock=OOC]Let me know if there is anything else you guys need to take care of before leaving. Otherwise, feel free to make a bit of small talk, and we'll press on to the office.[/sblock]

Last edited:

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=Dichotomy]As I leaves the Feral Dog, Shavora wings in from a nearby perch to land on my shoulder.

"Ah! There you are my girl! Did you make out well tonight?

Shavora bobs her head in a nod of sorts

"It's a good thing that I already knew where Alexis was staying or I might have tried to send you to find out."

"Pretty one?"

"Yes she is a pretty one isn't she, but nothing you need to worry about, you'll always be my first priority."

I scratch her head gently while gazing on her black plumage fondly.

"I haven't decided whether to reveal you or not yet. You should stay close, but don't be obvious until I let you know ok?"

"Stay hiding...ok...When?"

"You can stay near me tonight, but in the morning when we meet the others again follow from a safe distance."

Shavora is pleased with this arangement and together we walk to a non-descrip building with multiple doors. I cast detect magic and my symbol glows to life on one of the doors. I enter and gather the belongings that I wasn't keeping on my person before. I then find someplace mostly dry and as warm as I can manage and spend the night with Shavora.
[/sblock]

The next day Nav whistles his way to the meeting place to greet the others. He appears mostly the same, but has a backpack and bedroll on his back now, as well as a total of 3 javelins. The pack has a few things hanging off of it, but it looks like most of his life just might be inside it.

"Hello good dwarf! I can't say I'm too surprised to see you here before any of the rest of us. I must admit I am itching to find something of value that will lead us out of this town myself. When do you think the others will arrive? Now, is the Cairn somewhere near this general vicinity?"

Nav describes to Boldak the general area that the office is located. He also tries to make jovial conversation while they wait for the others.

michael_noah

First Post
"I could hardly let you think I wasn't going to show."

Boldak is leaning against a scraggly tree that provides what little cover from the rain there is to be found near the road. As Nav approaches he gives an abrubt nod for greeting, then continues gazing away from town.
[SBLOCK]What the blazes was I thinking? If there is anything of interest in the cairn, this spoony fellow is more like to get in the way than help carry anything out.[/sblock]
After Nav's questions have hung in the air for too long, Boldak deigns to answer, "They'll be here as soon as the mud lets them. As for the mine, it's close enough to that office, can't be more than a half an hour or so even in this."

worthley

First Post
Trenton comes jogging to the others, leaning forward in hopes that the javelins strapped to his pack will give him some cover from the rain. He's also carrying a scythe that looks more like a modified farming tool, than a weapon of war. "Good morning. Are we almost ready to head out?" asks Trenton.

o3caudata

First Post
A beaming Alexis strides toward the group. Her hood is up and her boots are sligtly muddy, but she is otherwise unchanged visually. As she approaches, she surveys the group much like a mother would survey her children on worship day, checking to see that they are prepared.

"Good morning. I trust that you all slept well and are ready for a beautiful day of travel." She holds her hand out to catch a few rain drops and gazes up at the sky. "If we're all collected we should be off."

Her anxiousness to move oozes from her; as if she were attempting to restrain herself and was failing misserably.

Remove ads