• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC]House of Hell[CoC/FF]

bruin

First Post
Damien tries to turn on one of the light switches but it doesn't work. The group has to rely on the flashlight and stray moonlight for the moment.

Peering into the kitchen area, Kyle and Tanya see another part that wasn't visible from the door. A wash basin is in one of the corners. A window looks out at the outbuildings. Through one of the walls, the electrical cables from the larger outbuilding come into the room and lead along the sides of the walls back into the main room, where the equipments and lights are.

They also see a back door, next to window and leading out to the smaller buildings. However, it has been largely shredded and torn to pieces by some sort of large animal. Some makeshift food pantries have also been torn apart, consistent with a bear's raid for food. The damage doesn't look recent.

The doorway connecting the main room to the kitchen is just a doorway with no actual door.

Damien tries to switch on the radio, but like the lights it won't turn on at this point in time.

Master_Pugs

First Post
"Strange..." Tanya mutters chewing on her lip, "Some sort of abandoned guard post perhaps? Do those even exist anymore... Not that it matters, anyone see any way of getting the power back on?"

Majin

First Post
Damien follows the electrical cables along the wall looking for any problems, and hoping they may lead to some sort of switchbox.

Shattered Archon

First Post
Kyle's frown deepens. "You know, Tanya... under any other circumstances, i'd say it was crazy, but i think you're right... those howls are definately closer, and they don't sound... well... right."

Looking around, he shakes his head. "I don't understand this building at all. I mean, why build it so close to the manor? It's not big enough to house staff or servants, and even if it was they would have quaters within the main building..."

Maybe the family had a wierd, eccentric uncle, or something?

Unnerved by the howls, he looks around the kitchen area for a knife or some similar thing with which he might defend hiumself - as much for peace of mind as anything else.

bruin

First Post
OODM: The DM coughs conspicuosly.

bruin said:
The wooden building appears to have been an old outpost of the state forestry service.

IDM: A sudden breeze picks up and wind rushes through the kitchen into the main room; an unfinished letter in the typerwriter flaps, the papers in the filing cabinet rustle, and one of the doors on the equipment locker creaks open temporarily before banging shut.

Damien follows the cables and finds a converter on one of the walls that connects a larger, heavy-duty cable from the outbuilding with smaller electrical cords which run to the various electrical devices like the lights and radio. There is no switchbox within the main building, though. It looks like the cable must lead out to a gas-powered generator in the outbuilding.

Kyle rummages through the equipment locker but only finds surveying and mapmaking equipment. He finds a tiny knife among the utensils in the kitchen.

Majin

First Post
"I'm gonna go out around the back of the building and see if I can find a generator. Maybe I can get the power back on."

Damien hears the howls again and grits his teeth, hesitating a moment, before turning swiftly around and heading towards the door.

Master_Pugs

First Post
"We should all stick togethor!!" Tanya shouts as Damien slips through the door, then sighs, "Let's go, I hope he knows what he's doing... I have no idea how to fix a generator."

She sweeps the flashlight to the door and follows Damien.

Majin

First Post
Hearing Tanya behind him, Damien slows down to a halt and waits for her to catch up to him with the flashlight. He flashes her an arrogant grin, "Couldn't stand to be away from me for long could you?"

bruin

First Post
As Damien and Tanya approach the larger building, they see a shape to the west pacing back and forth, right near the edge of the clearing where all the buildings are. It is one of the wolves you've been hearing. Aware of your presence, the wolf stops its pacing and stares at you, snarling. But it appears not to want to advance upon you for the moment, nor impede your progress towards the building with the generator. To your left, on the south edge of the clearing, you hear a similar snarl and see another wolf guarding that side of the clearing. They howl, and the third wolf's cry is now directly on the east edge of the clearing, back on the other side of the house out towards the main road. In the distance, you hear four more wolves answering their comrades, but quite a ways off at the moment.

The generator is rusted but serviceable. You pull the cord, but its out of gasonline. An empty gas can sits next it, along with a siphon. Apparently whoever used this was accustomed to siphoning gas out of his truck when needed.

OODM: Taking some liberties with Kyle, since SA hasn't chimed in.

Kyle, still inside, takes a look at the letter in typewriter but can't read it without light. A document, apparently a schematic map of the surrounding wilderness, is sticking out of the filing cabinet. But he can't read that either until Tanya comes back with the flashlight.

Kyle hears a growling outside the front window, and sees the third wolf arriving out by the road. The wolf takes a look around and moves to the north side of the house, leaving the road unguarded.

The wind picks up and the moonlight suddenly vanishes. Rain once again pours down, streaming through the opening in the hopelessly shredded back door. Tanya and Damien are getting wet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads