[IC] Toranthar - Chapter I: Dark Harvest (Full)

Atanatotatos

First Post
Belleros looks around depressed, and seeing everyone is working without questioning, he starts to lazily collect those strange fruits. Oh well...Hope they taste good, at least...
The young Eladrin goes around the field picking the bearings without haste, but steadily. ...bet I can get'em more quickly than your mage hand!

[size=-2]ooc:Endurance 26[/size]

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
"Duty calls" says Zlatan to himself, beginning to head down to start picking fruit. "Duty is a valuable tool, showing us how the activities we may not like are valuable to others and to the community." As he begins to warm to his theme, he reaches the bottom and raises his voice to the other workers. It rings clearly and loudly across the space.

"I know this work is hard and difficult. It can bring pain, injury and makes the back ache. But you must all remember that hard work is a cornerstone of our society - each of you who contribute to that work and do your duty well will receive your reward, and the approval of your fellow beings. We have some newcomers amongst us today. Let them see that the Dwarves are a kind and honourable people, and that they help those who struggle - if indeed they do struggle. If it turns out they have skill at this, let them see that skill is appreciated. Do not be jealous - let your heart soar free that each of us will finish the quicker. With Moradin's guidance, the work will be done."

As he finishes his speech, he begins to gather fruit, working in tandem with whoever is next to him. He also keeps an eye on Heskrash and stays close to him - as he should.

OOC: Diplomacy 19. 1d20+8=19

Sparky

The dragonborn seem surprised at being addressed by Mask. Everyone had been snatching glances as they worked, curiousity plain on their faces. They seem pleased at her use of their tongue, but bemusedly put off that she would presume to instruct them. Their mild distaste turns to grudging admiration as the young wizardess' powers prove equal to their own, more conventional efforts. Their dwarven counterparts are skeptical and their heavy brows furrow as they continute their work.

Success! 3/8 successes

Belleros finds a way to make the boring task palatable - competition! And with the boundless energy of youth, he fills his sling, empties and comes back for more it before any of the others have filled their first.

Success! 4/8 successes

The dwarves in the crew warm to Zlatan's words. When the young cleric finishes, one of them cheers and starts singing in a deep, sonorous voice. It is a song favored by laborers for generations. To Mask and Belleros the tune seems vaguely familiar, though changed, rendered in minor chords and with a darker aspect than the melody they know. The words are very different as well, but... they make a quite striking counterpoint to the elven lyrics.

Success! 5/8 successes

OOC: Does anyone sing? (CHA ability check, Easy DC, this song's not about skill, but about rhythm and repetition, and no it doesn't go 'Heigh-Ho! Heigh-Ho!')

nerdytenor

First Post
Krik, to his own horror, find himself humming along tunelessly to the dwarven melody. His humming is replaced by a low grumble as he refocuses on the task at hand, looking for any easily accessible swathes of stone-fruit that may have gone unnoticed by the others.

"I will not be outdone by that Balash," he mumbles to himself. Krik's gray-green scales have taken on a darker tinge - whether due to the lighting or his mood is hard to say.

OOC: I sing (professionally even!), which you may have guessed from my handle. Krik? Not so much. Perception 12

Redclaw

First Post
Recognizing the song from his previous service experiences, Heskrash does his best to join the dwarven chorus. He manages a quick wink at Zlatan as he adds in words from his own language, as if to remind his friend that it isn't just dwarves down there. His draconic verses work surprisingly well with the dwarven ones, providing a pleasant and invigorating harmony.

OOC: cha check to sing, 20

Sparky

Krik spots a dense cache of rock-fruit and many of the others move over, singing all the while, to help him gather it in. The dwarves among them jostle Heskrash, raising their voices markedly, grinning from within their beards as their stocky frames move between the scrubby vines.

The hours pass. It is approaching noon. As each of you trudge up the plinth and unload your slings, Korask can be heard shouting approval from above as he hoists the basket down for the last bundle. Light from the Sunstone is bright now, brilliantly and crisp. Shadows fall in many directions down in the cavern where the Sunstone's light is caught and reflected into the dark cavern corners.

OOC: The next check rolled is at +2 for Krik's Perception. The check after that is at +2 for Heskrash's bold-toned voice.
Successes: 5/8
Failures: 0/4

Shayuri

First Post
Egged on by Belleros' impromptu competition, Mask starts gathering with her hands as well as with magic. When she sees what Krik is up to, she seems to catch on and start hovering near him. He spies a ledge, but can't reach it easily. Mask however suspects that the ledge could easily have more of these plants on it. She casts her light up before it, then lifts her staff up to project magical force and 'feel around' for more of that fruit. If she was right, she could add yet more berries to the baskets. If not, she was wasting a bit of time in a fruitless search.

(Nature check at +2 for Krik's perception. Total: 10. Roll Lookup )

Atanatotatos

First Post
As the fruits start to diminish in number, Belleros looks around to see if he can find some still abundant plant, and seems to find just the right place to pick from.
By the way! You know what I overheard some dwarves whispering before? Apparently we're reincarnated phoenixes. And we mate!, says Belleros cheerfully addressing his friend.

[size=-2]Ooc:perception at +2 for Heskrash's song: 18[/size]

Shayuri

First Post
Mask gives Belleros an amused glance and asks, "Is this the dwarf's fantasy, or your own?" in a teasing tone.

"In all seriousness though, I've been thinking. There may be some possibilities in this situation. A huge opportunity for both of us. But we have to get that Keystone to work again."

She shakes her head in frustration. "I need to talk to their sages, consult their histories. Instead I'm here, picking berries."

Sparky

The work chanty continues and the work goes on. After long the cavern is bright with the direct and reflected light of the Sunstone. A musky smell wafts up from the once-shadowed corners. It makes the natives of Naedur tense.

Mask is disappointed to 'feel' no rockfruit on the ledge. She brings the staff down and steps back into a bush that snags her white raiment. Turning to extricate herself, she spies a dense cluster of fruit on a length of vine that had grown into a crevice.

Success! 6/8 successes

Belleros is getting a feel for the cavern and the plants. His keen eladrin senses, attuned to living things, spy another cache nearby. Others, curious about the guests (or trying to keep an eye on them), stay near the energetic youth.

Their brows furrow at the fluid syllables that fly between Mask and Belleros, but they continue to work, hands filling slings with the delicate fruit.

Belleros' perception check will add +2 to the next Nature, Endurance or Diplomacy. Perception provides bonuses to rolls, but not successes. If you care to make a case for other skills please do. Two more to go.

Remove ads