[IC] Toranthar - Chapter I: Dark Harvest (Full)

Redclaw

First Post
Come my friends, Heskrash calls out in dwarven. Let's work together to reach the fruit. The hardest to reach is often the sweetest, as you all know, and together we can get to it much easier. He holds out a rope and offers to anchor it that others might safely approach some of the more difficult caches.

Diplomacy (w/+2 from Belleros): 26

nerdytenor

First Post
"I will show the way," says Krik, simultaneously annoyed and impressed by Heskrash's speech. He leaps up the rock, conspicuously avoiding using the rope Heskrash so helpfully put down and relying on his own knowledge of caves and climbing instead.

Nature 11

Atanatotatos

First Post
Oh, that looks fun! says Belleros, and leaps from rock to rock, climbing taller ones, to rach farther plants.
Hey, Mask! Who's winning, huh?

[size=-2]Athletics: 17[/size]

Shayuri

First Post
"The dwarfs are winning," Mask says shortly, irritably. "This little 'game' is benefiting no one but them."

She brushes her hair out of her eyes, tucking it back behind her ears. She could be a poor loser at times.

"Find a dwarf in charge...that singing one perhaps...and tell him that these pitiful scraps pale in comparison to what we can offer them, if they'll just LISTEN to us instead of sending us off to slave labor camps."

Atanatotatos

First Post
Belleros' momentarily cheerful mood disappears at Mask's remark. He descends a steep hill, his abundant harvest in hand, with a slightly depressed face:Yeah... It's quite gloomy here, actually. But... are you sure you can bring us back? Otherwise, there's not much we could offer to the short ones. Then he smirks, continuing Well, not that they shouldn't be pleased enough with our presence alone. We bring some fairness and fresh air in this place, at least...

Shayuri

First Post
Mask gives Belleros a grudging smile and her own mood lightens a bit.

"It wouldn't make any sense to make a one-way portal. It must just be that the method of using it is different on this side. I'm sure that if I can consult their histories, maybe speak to their mages, I can work it out. And then...well just imagine, Belleros. They must dig up all kinds of gems and gold down here, and they'd be more than happy to trade it away for snacks that grow on trees in Faerie!"

Atanatotatos

First Post
Yeah yeah I've never got much into those intricacies... you know my seals are for fighting! But, Mask? ...We can't open a trade! We're fugitives now, remember? We broke the law to get... here! and in uttering the last word Belleros seems more depressed than ever. Gosh, I wanted to see the mortal World, but it seems we won't be getting out of here... Maybe we should have chosen a nicer place to plane-travel to, like, dunno... the Shadowfell?

Shayuri

First Post
"Hmph." Mask scowls and looks away at the toiling dwarfs and their Janissaries. That was -not- the fate she intended to embrace.

"If we return to the feywild with armloads of dwarf gold, I'm sure we can persuade them to make an exception in our case," she tells Belleros. In truth she was certain of no such thing; the fey folk could be sticklers about violated taboos, but she would need Belleros to be with her, regardless of what she decided to do. "We'll just need to earn the trust of these cave-dwellers, learn the workings of the portal, and return with fantastic tales of wealth to be redeemed."

Sparky

Janissaries... nice!

Success! Heskrash and Krik bring in the last two successes. 8/8 successes, 0/4 failures. Good work, good team work and great posts!

Across the cavern other crews are gathering on their plinths, some are still working the grudging rock fruit. Korask calls your crew to the plinth for a break, "Your meal is on its way."

With the last few sling-loads emptied into the basket, it lifts away, rising up into the now-fully lit chamber. The rock is mostly brown and dull, but there are wide intrusions of purple and green, layers that slash diagonally across the vast cavern.

The waterfall glitters in the reflected light of the Sunstone, the spray of its fall wets the water-smoothed stone, revealing jewel tones sleeping in the dull brown rock. Something like a breeze blows from the falls, cool and damp, smelling of wet stone and earth. And again the musky note.

The crew spread across the plinth, small clusters of Naeduri, watching Mask and Belleros. The two runaways discuss their situation, their lilting elven voices riveting the attention of the cave-bound dwarves and dragonborn.

"They don't look like no phoenixes to me."

"Oh, and your Naedur's resident phoenix expert, you are?"

"You've seen the pictures, same as me!"

"Yeah, I s'pose. They don't look like no demons, neither."

"No."

"I don't like this, Wallack."

"Nope."

"Hey, Apprentice, is it true the Adversary's here? I didn't see him at--

A chorus of screams split the relative silence of the cavern. And then the light... shifts. The cavern falls into darkness and then flares into blinding brilliance. Darkness, brilliance. Darkness, brilliance. There is a strange pressure in the air as it grows hot and the brilliance of the light becomes unbearable as the Sunstone falls into the cavern and shatters on the stony floor.

The massive chains that anchored it to the roof of the great dome crash down next to the Sunstone further splintering the great shards of dimming stone.

Cries from the cavern floor ring out in the guttering light of Naedur's sun. There were people down there!

OOC: Reflex from everyone, Easy DC (10), to see if you're blinded.

Edit: Right you are, Atan. Rolls against the PCs! (I still need to get my 'combat' sheet set up with stats for reference, so make your next posts reflect if you're blinded or not).

Last edited:

Remove ads