D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (River Gang)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Would Aquaria's "Shape Water" cantrip be of any use here? As in, could she use that to make the swim easier on her? Or would that just give advantage, which she already fumbled?

GM: Yes, it would give her advantage. Presumably, she's trying it, but it's not really helping. It's hard for her to see, as the water gets all churned up in places, and it's taking a lot of effort just to go where she means to go, far or less get some psychic focus. She takes 9 damage scraping her arm on the black spire, I'm afraid, (the -2 for the Kayaks were from the shields strapped to the front, I said they'd help, but made everything skill checks, so I went with damage reduction for them) and worse, she goes over the rapids. She moves 30 feet down the river before she can get her bearings. No one sees her go, busy as they are, but I expect Auraia can "feel" her distress. She's a bit on her own at the moment, what would she like to do?

Udit and Auraia's kayak makes the treacherous turn with some deft paddling on both their parts. In the calmer waters, Udit begins to seek a safe landing spot. (Either side will work, at least twenty feet from the black spire). Auraia begins to look around frantically trying in vain to find a sign of her sister.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Aquaria's going to shake this off and head back to where she's supposed to be. If the check fails again, she's going to swim to the surface and "Jump" so Auraia can use "Transposition" to switch places with her, then Auraia will activate "Levitate" so she doesn't fall back into the water. Once Auraia has her barring levitating over the water, she's going to teleport to the ledge.

Athletics: [roll0] or [roll1]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Forget the teleport stuff. She just swims back to where she's supposed to be.

That she does. It's hard going, but she salmons her way up the rapids. Somewhat out of breath and battered, she joins up with the others.

GM: As this isn't an important scene, and will only result in possible damage to a kayak (and it will survive) I am going to roll for Drako. I hope eayres33 doesn't mind. [roll0] Sorry about that.

There is a loud scraping noise as the second kayak slides along the black spire. It is only Kurzon's heroic effort that keeps them on the correct side of that fiendish rock. They quickly catch up to the first kayak, and Aquaria surfaces behind them, to her sister's relief.

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Drako Sateen

Yeah, what could go wrong Drako thought to himself as the current began to overpower him. “I’m losing control Kurzon the current is stronger than I am. I need your help to move it hard to the right.”

Drako paddled with all his might, but his call to Kurzon came a moment too late as the hit the rocks but by a minor miracle bounced into the side channel.

“Sorry my friend,” Drako began as he regained his composure now soaking wet, “I will do better in the future.”

OOC:
Hey Drako failed by way less than that. :) No issues moving it along I had this written so I'm still going to post it.
Drako fails the athletics check, but Kurzon makes the save so Kurzon and Drako take 3 damage and the kayak takes 7
Kayak handling: 1D20 -1 = [9]-1 = 8

HP 28/31

FitzTheRuke

Legend

The River Gang make their way in the Kayaks to where the stream flows into the side of Blackpeak through a dark tunnel. Outside the tunnel, Udit considers that both sides of the stream are fit for beaching the kayaks, in the wide soft mud where spring flow overwhelms the tunnel entrance, but the current, more moderate flow leaves dry.

Inside the tunnel, there are steep, muddy banks on either side of the stream. It would be possible, but slippery, to travel by foot, with the threat of falling in the stream. Furthermore, it appears that the tunnel winds inward and downward, the water an echoing roar. Neither walking nor taking the kayaks appear to be easy, but both are possible if you dare.

GM: So... which do you want to try? (Neither?) It's like a dark waterslide in there. Don't forget light sources. Please point out to me if you have darkvision or not. Almost in!

Damage Taken
Aquaria 9, Kurzon 3, Drako 3, K&D's Kayak 7 taken (of 16)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
EDIT: the GM and I posted at the same time, so the following isn't really relevant anymore, I'll leave it just for roleplaying purposes

Udit will land the Kayak on the west side of the side stream - this way the main river can be accessed on foot if needed.

Udit takes a quick look around. Seeing no immediate threat, and relieved to see the others pulling up behind them, Udit mutters a few quick words taught to him by the Beetle of Mislaid memories - and the image of a bush appears over the kayak, concealing it somewhat. He motions for the others to gather round as he crouches low and takes out his bow.

"Everyone made it? Good good! Some good paddling there Auraia. You Ok Aquaria? Uh, do you need healing or stuff?"

"So, erm, looks like the Wizard didn't mention this spot. Typical. That could have gone real ugly. So um, I suggest we go ahead and scout the side stream so we have no more surprises on the river. It's no good sneaking in by boat if you drown on the way. I can go ahead, I'm pretty quiet, I have good boots! I'm open to suggestions though, maybe you have some kind of magic to do that instead" he concludes as he wiggles his fingers in an exaggerated way. Udit then stands up to get a better look of what is around them.

OOC: Is it possible to look ahead from our vantage point? How far are we from the Black Crag? Any signs of danger around? Are we out of sight of the tower? How is the terrain, is going on foot practical, is there cover?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit peers ahead, looking and listening. He had made sure the kayaks would stay put with rocks, and had put a few branches over them.

(OOC: assuming there is *some* vegetation around here)

Udit sighs, and turns to the others

"Uh, I know some of you can, but I can't see in the dark. What about you two?" he asks as he looks at the two genasi. He had to admit he really wasn't quite sure what they were... oh well, they seemed nice enough. "So erm, about that, I have torches, but then bad guys will see us coming."

He looks at his companions again "Uh, some of you are kinda banged up, should we heal before we go?"

He then glances back at the river. "I really don't like the sounds of that, not one bit. I have a hundred feet of rope. We can send in someone ahead to get a better idea of the layout, and tie a rope around their waist. We can tie the rope to a tree, or I can hammer in a piton if that fails. Once we bet a better idea of what's ahead, we can move forward without any more incidents"

tglassy

Adventurer
"I would appreciate some healing," Aquaria said, holding her arm.

Auraia slapped her shoulder, "You can do that yourself."

Aquaria blushed, turning her blue tinted skin a lovely shade of pink, "If one of the men wanted to help me, there's no reason I shouldn't let them," she said in an embarrassed, hushed tone.

Auraia rolled her eyes. "Watch out for her," she said. "She's not as innocent as she looks."

River Song

Explorer
"Due to my mixed heritage, I can see in the dark quite well and though I am poorly suited for scouting, not being seen may be the best option." Kurzon buckles on his breastplate and leaves the rest of his armour in the kayak taking his shield and weapons. "Though I will be of little use if I am clunking about."

"Let me tend those injuries," placing his oddly warm hands on his injured companions he chants a soft prayer to Tyr and the wounds fade quickly.

"Ok?" he asks. "I guess I will lead the way then, the rest of you can follow a fair bit behind with the torch."

[roll0]
[roll1] Darkvision 60ft

[sblock=Ministat]
Init: +0
AC: 20 (17)
HP: 36/36

Spell Slots 1st 3/3
Divine Senses 3/3
Channel Divinity 1/1
Lay on Hands 2/20

[/sblock]

edit: lol's for the stealth roll!