D&D 5E (OOC) Vault of the Dracolich 5E (Full)

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
[MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION], what kind of illusion can Udit do? Minor Illusion can only make a 5 foot cube image... but maybe a sound of people running the other direction would be sufficient.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
[MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION], what kind of illusion can Udit do? Minor Illusion can only make a 5 foot cube image... but maybe a sound of people running the other direction would be sufficient.
Oh just minor image. I was thinking more Imani, him being a powerful wizard and all that.

Udit has a few unusual features, but he's not fully optimized...

tglassy

Adventurer
What, You don’t like that I can be a party in and of myself? How is that disruptive?

That’s cool, though. I’d really like to see how the Mystic progresses. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Terrus, but having the option to switch would be nice.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rise of the Dracolich has definite potential :D

We'll have to figure out healing and tanking though. Our barbarian and cleric have the same player lol

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm really looking forward to hearing your analysis of the mystic class [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], it's been one heck of a play test. My impression is that their nova capacity is high and that the number of possible builds is *very* high - it may be the most flexible class in the game.

tglassy

Adventurer
I’ll write one up.

I’d love to play them at higher levels. I think one of the limiting factors they need is to have a limit on how many points they can spend in a round. Right now, they are limited to how many points they can spend activating a discipline, but with so many options for actions, bonus actions and reactions, one Mystic can “go nova” (defined by me as using a discipline skill at the highest setting allowed) up to three times in one round. It’s how I did some of the more impressive stunts.

Now, Wizards, in contrast, can only cast one spell a round, limited to Cantrips the rest of the round, if I’m not mistaken. Having the limit of psi points used be per round instead of per discipline would give more flexibility than a wizard, but keep the Mystic from A, overpowering everything, and B, using up all their points so fast.

Unless using up the points is the deterrent. They’re pretty subpar without power points. Is it, then, ok for them to go nova if they can only do it a few times before having to stay in the background?

As for flexibility, OMG, yes. You can make a Mystic to mimick any other class. Stealthy, Tanky, Blasty, Healy, Skill Monkey, you name it, they can do it.

I almost feel that the Mystic is what the Sorcerer should have been. Instead of making the Sorcerer choose individual spells like a wizard, let them choose spell categories that open up new abilities as they get stronger. Storm Sorcerer starts with Mastery of Water or Mastery of Wind, for example. Just a thought.

Overall, I liked the class. I liked the psychic specific disciplines. The Wu Jen disciplines make you feel more like Avatar, the Last Airbender than a psychic, but it works.

But they do try to be too much. There are too many disciplines, too much choice. I’m not sure how to fix that, but being able to magically know any skill at any time is pretty intense.

tglassy

Adventurer
There are some skills I forgot to use, like how they can use a bonus Action to heal every time they use a discipline skill. That would have been helpful.

As much as I like the Genasi, I was thinking about it last night, and I realized I’ve tested the mystic pretty well, but not as it’s own thing. The mystic is psychic, and I didn’t really play any psychics. I played a tank, a healer, a blaster and a skirmisher.

So, I was wondering, if we continue, if I could make a new mystic to play as either an Awakened or a Nomad. They can even be the Genasi’s older siblings. Maybe a Teifling and/or an Aasimar. I love Terrus, but I want to try one that’s much more of a psychic than the Genasi turned out to be. You know, diving into people’s heads, that sort of thing. Maybe one who only speaks telepathically. And Nomads are cool. Teleporting, invisible skill monkeys.

I don’t have to, it was just a thought. I figured since I’m play testing, I may as well make an actual Mystic rather than a copy of other classes.

Remove ads