OOC: Keys from the Golden Vault

mikeawmids1

Explorer
Out of Character discussion for mikeawmids' Keys from the Golden Vault.

Whizbang, playing CARLATANO THE CHANGELING BARD
Tglassy, playing...
TeraDave, playing TORDAR THE HUMAN BARBARIAN
Metavoid, playing... KHUGEL PIGGLEAGGLE THE SVIRFNEBLIN ROGUE
Taran, playing NYMH THE HUMAN DRUID

Recruitment
IC
Rogue's Gallery

Last edited:

I'm continuing this conversation here because I think the RG is just for characters and not discussion (though, I could be wrong)
Nymh and TORDAR could know each other and have some common elements in their background.

Though if that is the case--based on the picture--Nymh has changed. You've changed man!
I've changed!? How? He was in jail. FOR SEVERAL DAYS! That changes a person.

Did I post a pic somewhere else that I don't remember? I was trying to find a picture that was of 'an average guy', maybe a bit slimmer. I don't really like the moustache so I might change it.

In any case, it would be fine if we knew each other. Nymh travelled around a lot. What is TORDAR's background? (and is it really spelled All Caps?)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Oh its TORDAR. Also nomadic, barbaric, something. They could be from the same tribe, or just met as fellow outlanders. Or as fellow outlanders in prison.

tglassy

Adventurer
Sorry folks, I've been very busy this week. My original idea was to be a Transmutation Wizard, but with the new playtest released today...I kinda want to try the new Warlock class playtest. Would that be allowed? It would have to be the Fiend Warlock, cause that's the only one the playtest includes. Would having Mask of Many Faces step on the Changeling's toes, or would having two people who can do that just make it better?
Let me know what y'all think. I can have a character whipped up pretty quick once I decide.

tglassy

Adventurer
So I really, really want to play this new Warlock. I've already written up the character. If you don't allow it, then I'll use the same character, just as a Transmutation Wizard the nomral way through dnd beyond.

Here are the important parts:
Warlocks are now Half Casters, like Paladin and Rangers. No more short rest spell slots.

They get Medium Armor from the get go, though I start with Leather. I'll have to find Medium.

They get their Pact Boon at lvl 1, which is now a Cantrip that summons it. Upon casting, they can change things, like the form of the Familiar or which spells the Tome grants. Note: Familiars have differnet abilites depending on the form. Blades now always use Charisma for attack and damage. And the Tome now only ever grants two Cantrips and two Rituals, though they can be changed when you recast the spell (which takes an hour). The invocation that lets Warlocks learn all Rituals is gone.

Eldritch Blast and Hex are now class features, though they function mostly the same way.

Spells on a Patron's spell list are now extra spells, and not just extra options. They do not count against the total spells known.

That's most of it. And yes, it is a straight power boost to Warlocks. But come on. At lvl 1, Warlocks only ever had Eldritch Blast and a single spell slot. Yeah, they got it back after a short rest, but that's just annoying. I've played many, many Warlocks in my time, and while I love flavor of the class SOO much, they were always a second rate caster. With these upgrades, they actually stand on their own.

But like I said, I'll just do the Transmutation Wizard if you want. My idea for the character is a Warforged who was a real person but somehow got stuck in this artificial body. Prolly due to some magical mishap. But he doesn't remember it, nor does he remember making a pact with the voice that keeps talking to him when he's resting.

Remove ads