D&D 5E (OOC) Vault of the Dracolich 5E (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit's main worry is how far Hap is from this mountain of doom. He'd rather have several hundreds KM...

I hadn't really thought about where this was going on - generic D&D world basically - but now that I know we're in the realms, I'm a bit curious about the geography. (... I have no idea where the Lamarakhi fit in the Realms. They are from Yoon-Suin originally and I thought it didn't matter for "generic world" ...)

Oh, and what year are we in?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I also know a lot of the players had multiple PCs and got to see more of the adventure. It was a different experience for me because I really didn't know what was going on in the rest of the dungeon. One day I'll have to read the other threads. I find it astounding that you rant that in real time with multiple groups - were they multiple GMs?
[MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]: Bobranthus rubbed Udit the wrong way, I wonder if they would have overcome that... the one I'm the most upset about losing is Kurzon - until the player dropped off the face of the earth, he was a good contribution to the game. In a way it's worse than a PC death. Hope the player's ok...

I'm sure that [MENTION=4550]hbarsquared[/MENTION] 's NOPATHUK WINDSPEAKER will be a worthy replacement :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, I really liked Kurzon, too. River Song was good to play with.

As far as the Realms go, I have to admit - I do a lot of research to run these games, but I've never read a novel set in the Realms and I've only ran stuff in the Realms since 5e started. I played in my own setting for 25 years. So, while I have done a lot of research lately, there's a good chance that any given one of you know more than I do about the place.

Case in point: Since you first asked, I've been trying to figure out the answer. Where IS Blackpeake relative to Hap? It's a good question, and it's not answered in the Adventure (that I can find), aside from somewhere in the Cormanthor woods. I imagine it is on a tributary to the Duathamper River. The river I made flow between Blackpeake and Greenpeak ran from the north to the south, so probably not too far from Tangled Trees. It's in the same general region as Hap, if you want a simple answer.

As far as the year goes, I had to look into that as well (because I don't know much about it). Seeing as I'm going to steal from Rise of Tiamat, it would have to be "before that" - so sometime around 1480? Around the Sundering, anyway, but before all of the recent 5e adventures.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So I did a bit of quick research and I have a few answers.

Apparently, according to this http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Silakul we are in 1479

I have not been able to determine exactly where in Cormanthor this Blackpeak is... and Cormanthor is *big*. but I have a few clues:

"there may be a settlement of Dwarves near High Dale at a place called the Black Peak, ands thats just a one line reference from Dwarves Deep."

Aslo

"College of Rune Magics
College of Shaping Magics
Volkumburgh Vale
[From the DragonQuest module DQ1: The Shattered Statue (TSR 9221)]
Cormyr claims the eastern part of Volkumburgh Vale, although the village of Volkumburgh itself is well east of the border.

Black Peak
[I assume this site is mentioned in the DragonQuest module DQ1: The Shattered Statue (TSR 9221) because of its proximity to the other DQ1 sites, but that is only my assumption.]
"

Volkumburg is "a tiny village nestled in the foothills of the Thunder Peaks, south of Thunder Gap."

Now all this fits together, as the Thunder gap and the High dale are close to each other.

Unfortunately, I then found data that is somewhat contradictory to that:

"He devastated Battledale, Tasseldale, and Featherdale " (while alive). These 3 dales are close to each other (so that makes sense), and it would indicate that his lair would be nearby. However, based on that his lair would be in the Dun Hills, not the Thunder peaks...

So that's what I have...

So, while I have done a lot of research lately, there's a good chance that any given one of you know more than I do about the place.

My FR lore is from 2e and 3e, and is woefully out of date. I'm basically operating in the "post time of trouble, pre spell plague" temporal space (ie about 1370s). You know just as much as I do about 1479 FR :p

Seeing how the second sundering happened in 1480, our characters are in 4e :p

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Not quite in 4e. The adventure was written for D&DNext, so it makes sense that it's between 4e continuity and 5e's. I actually made Blackpeake up, as the mountain it's in is not named, but it IS described. I'm not sure the adventure writers fully intended the mountain to have grown from the Earth Node, but there's evidence to support the theory. (Like the buried Spelljammer and the petrified Treants.)

At any rate, we're more in the "Fitz-gotten Realms" because, while I will look stuff up a bit, I'll make up anything I don't know if I can't find a precedent. If I skip a year before the events in the next game, I probably won't bother trying to fit the Sundering in. Or maybe I will, I dunno.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's how it always works with me. I have made up stuff that turns out to already be cannon, but I didn't know. It probably has to do with the same skill of mine that can predict what's going to happen next in almost every movie I watch. It drives my wife nuts if I tell her, so I've learned to keep it to myself. It's just a matter of extrapolating from the info given what the next most likely thing would be.

It's possible that the adventure writers were thinking of one of the places you found, but they just didn't call it "Black Peak", they just described it as a dark barren mountain. Or did they? I can't even remember perfectly all of what I made up compared to what I read. *Shrug!*

EarlyBird

Explorer
I haven't done a background for Zander, and will be working on it this week.

So all I was wondering on was a hook? Maybe he stayed in the area close to Imani and Hap. Tried settling down and staying away from monsters and adventure until once more he is needed, and he can't say no. Although he should, haha.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You mean between Vault and Rise? Yeah, he could have tried to settle down, but it didn't take. Maybe he already had a wife and kid in Hap? He was missing for a few months when he was infiltrating the Beast Boys. He tries for the simple life, but he's too good at his old sellsword job. (And unsuccessful in his humble job... whatever you want that to be.)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
For kicks and giggles you might figure out where Mord comes from and have them sending random bounty hunters after him. He is a blight upon the ruling class of his homeland after all.

Remove ads