• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm recruiting new players - how does this sound?

Stormborn

Explorer
Now that you have two players you might poll them about what they want to play, in general terms at least. Things like settings, style, starting campaign level, etc. Once you have that info you could modify your flyer.

My reluctance to sign up for such a thing would be in not knowing what I was getting. If I thought that a bunch of people were going to show up, and then the squeeky wheel would determine what was played onlyt o have people slow drop out, I wouldn't go in the first place. If it was better defined I might be more willing to call someone up I didn't know (or at least not well) if it sounded like something I would be interested in.

neg

Explorer
Suggestion...

Surprised someone hasn't mentioned that you might want to post a similar request at this site for players.

I posted a number of years back and got a very large response that ended up creating 3 different gaming groups. Still playing with the best bunch of players from that post.

If you have already done so, or ruled out the possibility, my apologies. I just got a good response from this site, you might too.

Best of luck. It looks good otherwise.

-neg

Nyaricus

First Post
Well, I signed up yesterday to that site with a shorter version of that above message and I already have had 1 guy add me to MSN and chat with me *and* 3 emails! The MSN and one of the emails can only play for a month to a month-and-a-half before they have to go to school or are getting transferred (military), the other plays Sundays and the forth consists of a guy and his gf, 17 and 18 respectively, who can game Saturdays! I am going to likely run a WotC modules with some pregens, stick everyone in and see what happens. If they work out, I ahve two more people in my group and still have two spots open :)

In the interest in still trying to get a few more characters via my FGLS, I still have plenty of responses to the replys to this thread...
Ed_Laprade said:
If you're on a public transportation route you might want to include that, although anyone thinking of using it will obviously need to bum a ride home. However, if you're playing at the FLGS you need to put that in your ad. (Obviously, I have no idea how late it stays open, but some are until midnight.)
We play at players houses and try to rotate it up generally, and we are all over the city (I;m south of downtown in a pseudo-suburb, another is in southern Winnipeg about 15-20 minutes away by car and a third is in the suburbs about 15-20 minutes away from me by car in a different direction - so we're all over the place. I should, however, mention that you need to supply your own ride though - good point!

Stormborn said:
Now that you have two players you might poll them about what they want to play, in general terms at least. Things like settings, style, starting campaign level, etc. Once you have that info you could modify your flyer.
Not a bad idea, I have actually made such a poll thanks to a thread (in archives, I beleive) which asks what you'd put in a player survey, so there's that. However, as a DM, I could only do Eberron (I don't own any of the books, but I know I'd be comfortable with it), Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance (again don't own but I used to read the entire series), Dark Sun or my homebrew Ascension. I just don't want to have to buy books right now for a game I can't run, and I said right in there that I'd be willing to DM another setting. We aren't playing a campaign roght now, so I am goig to run a low level mudule to see how they (the new players) work out; if they do they stay, if they don't then I don't waste my time coming up with a new campaign.

I would, however, considering mentioning that I am fine with playing non-epic campaigns in this flyer.

Stormborn said:
My reluctance to sign up for such a thing would be in not knowing what I was getting. If I thought that a bunch of people were going to show up, and then the squeeky wheel would determine what was played onlyt o have people slow drop out, I wouldn't go in the first place. If it was better defined I might be more willing to call someone up I didn't know (or at least not well) if it sounded like something I would be interested in.
Well, I know people like playing all sorts of campaigns and since I don't have a game going right now, once they are accepting into the group, we can all sit down and decide what sort of campiagn we will play. I was purposely keeping that open and not trying to be specific.

neg said:
Surprised someone hasn't mentioned that you might want to post a similar request at this site for players.

I posted a number of years back and got a very large response that ended up creating 3 different gaming groups. Still playing with the best bunch of players from that post.

If you have already done so, or ruled out the possibility, my apologies. I just got a good response from this site, you might too.

Best of luck. It looks good otherwise.
Well, I have seen a few gamers from Winnipeg around (Devilbat and another, can't remeber their name) and my two best friends have accounts here too (they've never been on them though :p) but other than that, I haven't really considered that. I suppose I could and see what happens...

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Thanee said:
Tired of WoW?

Always doing the same quests over and over.
Always seeing the same monsters.
No excitement, nothing is fresh and new.

Try some real roleplaying.

It's where the true fun is! :D
That would be a fantastic way of turning off a lot of folks.

Nyaricus

First Post
Here's the newest incarnation, with changes:
Attention D&D Players!! (this being in large, 'D&Dish' font)

Hi there! My name is Ryan and I’m a Game Master for a weekly D&D game. We play Saturdays from 5 or 6 pm to around midnight, and are looking to add some new players to our group – hopefully you! The group will consist of me as DM and around 4 to 6 players (well, that's the hope anyway). We are all around 18 years of age and play D&D 3.5 edition (non-Epic only) in either Forgotten Realms or my homebrew Ascension; although I am not against running a game in a different setting, prep-time and familiarity pending.

Players of all experience levels are welcome! If you are a newbie to D&D, we can supply dice and a Players Handbook (‘PHB’), although if you are familiar with the system we will expect you to being your own. Characters will be rolled up at the table, sheets supplied by me – so no need to bring your own! You will have to find your own ride to and from the game, though at the hosts discretion you can crash at his or her house. Pretty much the only thing left is to bring your imagination for some good times with us!

To contact: please email (preferred) me at Nyaricus@hotmail.com or phone (xxx-) xxx-xxxx
So, does it still read well?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Pity yer not in Minneapolis or I'm not in Manitoba. I could use a new group. Found out the game got cancelled despite our making plans for it 3 DAYS AGO!

Oh, and I don't really have any advise for the flyer. Sorry. Our group has tried that and only managed to find weirdos who we either don't want to game with or who don't want to game with us.

I don't have anything specific to add about the ad itself... But now that you're starting to get responses, you might want to start thinking about how you're going to be screening your shiny new players... To see which ones are cracked or broken, because D&D players often don't come with any sort of warranty whatsoever.

I'd suggest arranging a short meeting with each prospect (or with each couple of prospects) like a lunch or dinner or something... Out in public, so that you can get together with them and talk about what kind of game you want and what kind of game they want, and to see if you're going to be able to get along with them or if they give off any sort of creepy vibe or what have you.

This'll give you (and possibly your current player, if you feel so inclined) a chance to meet the new guys, to find out if they can be punctual, and to possibly weed out any stalkers or bad elements before you go inviting some complete stragners to anyone's house.

Later
silver

A 'me to' on both Silverbane and Dog Moon...

Might even be worth it to run a one-shot at the FLGS for about 3 hours..this is a pretty good way of getting a read on each other. Remember, most of your shiny new players will be kinda worried about how 'cracked' the GM is...

Dog Moon.. I just joined up with a new group down here in Eagan/Apple Valley :)
So far its looking good, now if I could only keep my job from pulling me away on game nights :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads