• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm recruiting new players - how does this sound?

devilbat

First Post
Hey Nyaricus,

I finally renewed my Community supporter account, searched my name, and found this thread. So I'll use this opportunity to say a few things and bump it.

I'm in basically the same predicament as you are. I'm looking for two new players, but our age range is quite different, so we won't be looking for the same people. My groups ages range from 24-35. I emailed a bunch of people who posted their email addie from the Winnipeg D&D Meetup page, where you are also listed. Within 30 minutes, I've had two replies. I'm confident we'll have what we need by the end of the week.

A friend of mine posted a player wanted thread in the gamers seeking gamers board here at EnWorld, and had a player within a day. You may want to try taht if you're still looking.

And for those wondering about the distance between Minneapolis and Winnipeg, take it form me, it's an easy drive. My dad lives just outside the Twin Cities (St.Cloud), so I make the trip at least twice a year. It's a seven hour drive to Minneapolis if I can avoid stopping at Omni, the best game store in Fargo, ND.

If there's enough Winnipeggers around here, maybe we should look at having a Gameday at Campaign Outfitters? Whaddya think?

sjmiller

Explorer
My main comment would be to avoid using the word newbie. It tends to have a condescending tone to it. Use "if you are new to the game" instead.

Nyaricus

First Post
devilbat said:
Hey Nyaricus,
Hey devilbat :)

devilbat said:
I finally renewed my Community supporter account, searched my name, and found this thread. So I'll use this opportunity to say a few things and bump it.
cool, thanks :)

devilbat said:
I'm in basically the same predicament as you are. I'm looking for two new players, but our age range is quite different, so we won't be looking for the same people. My groups ages range from 24-35. I emailed a bunch of people who posted their email addie from the Winnipeg D&D Meetup page, where you are also listed. Within 30 minutes, I've had two replies. I'm confident we'll have what we need by the end of the week.

A friend of mine posted a player wanted thread in the gamers seeking gamers board here at EnWorld, and had a player within a day. You may want to try taht if you're still looking.
I mananged to get 5 wannabe players within 24 hours emailing me. I sent out 3 to three of those that replyed, plus maybe 3 more, so a good feedback. We are rolling up characters this Saturday, 3 of my 5 players I met on D&D Meetups :)

devilbat said:
And for those wondering about the distance between Minneapolis and Winnipeg, take it form me, it's an easy drive. My dad lives just outside the Twin Cities (St.Cloud), so I make the trip at least twice a year. It's a seven hour drive to Minneapolis if I can avoid stopping at Omni, the best game store in Fargo, ND.
Cool, I'll have to keep all of that in mind :D

devilbat said:
If there's enough Winnipeggers around here, maybe we should look at having a Gameday at Campaign Outfitters? Whaddya think?
Oooh, that sounds like a great idea! I'd love to play some D&D with some fellow EN Worlders. I know of you and Arnwyn, but pretty much no one else.

Sounds like fun, in any case :D Since it's your brainchild, I'll leave it to you to start up the thread ;)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Dangit. I hate living on the wrong side of Canada.

Nyaricus, if I saw your ad, I'd sign up. I'm an old fart by your standards, though... 30 summers old and all that. :p

werk

First Post
It looks a little wordy to me. Is someone going to stand in front of the BB and read all of it?

I'd probably break it down to basic points:
-------------------------
* 3e D&D DM seeking more players for Saturday night game.

* Newbies welcome!

* Please email Nyaricus@hotmail.com or phone (xxx-) xxx-xxxx for more info.
-----------------------------

Add a catchy title and a piece of art and you should be fine. You can tell them your ages and the stuff about books and setting once they contact you.

devilbat

First Post
Herobizkit said:

Nyaricus, if I saw your ad, I'd sign up. I'm an old fart by your standards, though... 30 summers old and all that.

Well, I've got a couple of nice places for sale that may be perfect for you. I'm sure you can handle our winters.

You're the perfect age for my group. See you soon. ;)

Ulrick

First Post
Here's one that I wrote on 3"x5" index cards and placed them at my FLGS and around campus a few years ago that got a good response.

WILL DM FOR FOOD!!!
A hungry Dungeon Master seeks players
for his Dungeons & Dragons Campaign
Has 12 years of DMing Experience!!!
Likes combat, story driven adventures...and food!
(Contact info)

When propsective players contacted me about food I just told them that DMing is like a part-time job that doesn't pay anything. I do it because I love it. But I shouldn't be expected to chip in for the pizza and snacks too. Its a courtesy thing. And then I referred them to Monte Cook's website where he said the same thing in an article (which I now can't find).

Nyaricus

First Post
Herobizkit said:

Nyaricus, if I saw your ad, I'd sign up. I'm an old fart by your standards, though... 30 summers old and all that. :p
So, how old are you?
The bhjooka root has flowered 4 times in my life time... *whistfully looks off in the distance*
So, uh, how old does that make you?
*head snaps back, eyes alight with inner fire* Thirty summers.

:lol:

Y'know, it's too bad Canada is just so, so... HUGE! There are plent y of ENnies I'd love to game with, alas... :\

In any case, if you are looking for a change of sceenery, talk to devilbat ;)

werk, I am a wordy guy, I guess. I couldn't sum it up any better without saying what I wanted to say. That D&D meetups sight has me listed, btu I think I'm the longest post on there :p

[/b]Ulrick[/b], while it may work for some, that just isn't my way of doing things - glad it got you a group though :)

devilbat, I think end of September/Early October might be good for a gameday. It's gettign colder, but people don't have a lot to do (sports, etc done, already into highschool/university, etc for us young'uns) and aren't yet holed up in their houses for the winter. JMHO, but I think it might work well like that.

Nyaricus

First Post
devilbat said:
Well, I've got a couple of nice places for sale that may be perfect for you.
On another note, devilbat, my friends and I are looking to move out next year and will be looking for a house to live in. It sounds like you are in real estate, or soemthing like it, but do you have any houses for ~5 people with 4 bedrooms? I know it's a it of a strech, and we aren't looking to move out till next spring (May, hopefully), but if you have anything lik that, send me an email please. I would have kept this to a private email, but I see you have that setting turned off in your profile...

cheers,
--N

Emirikol

Adventurer
n:

Good to see you got some responses right away. My last bit of advice is that when you guys sit down for your first game (and anytime you get a new player) that you (or whomever is DMing) should go through your table rules:
1. Which books are allowed
2. If it's ok to skip and not call (and if it's chronic if people will be replaced)
3. If you stop your game for food or if people should eat before
4. If it's a good thing to be polite (or not ;)
5. If you get to re-roll 1's on healing stuff
6. Beer ok?
7. Whether you stop the whole game for people who go outside for their smoking addiction
8. If you want to drop out, just say you're too busy..don't just stop coming and don't tell anyone.
9. etc.

None of it's jerky-stuff, but it helps to talk about it with the players so you're all on the same page. It cuts down on DM-policing and hard feelings later.

All of that is from an article that Monte did in DUNGEON a year or so ago and there were some other table rules.

Basically, all the stuff that's not in your ad ;)

jh

Remove ads