• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ltheb, that's a great list, but it'd help a lot if you put a line between each entry in it.

I want to add that the Double Death portfolio, for greater deities, grants Improved Negative Energy Absorption - I'm still not entirely certain what that does.

Also, the Double Death portfolio, for First Ones, grants the Rectify power. However, this power normally modifies the Astro [Effect]. Since having that Portfolio allows you to have Rectify without the Astro [Effect], which is normally a prerequisite, I'm wondering how that works.

paradox42

First Post
One that's signifricant in my game (since a PC actually has the Portfolio in question) is, what about the Scion of Secrets abilities of the Secrets Portfolio? Are they actually supposed to be weaknesses, and if so, why does this Portfolio have weaknesses at that stage while no other Portfolios do?

Also, to reiterate what Ltheb said in a slightly different manner (possibly pointing to a cause and solution), the table-row shading in Sky is off by one in the Single table. Hero-Deity and Quasi-Deity are the same shade, making them appear to be one entry on a very casual glance. The mistake affects the rows below it, such that what apparently should be the shade for Old One is instead a bar of "dark" shading that's actually off the table entirely.

jedrious

First Post
I Reiterate:
Jedrious said:
The tables need one of three things done: either remove the prerequisites section of the tables altogether, add in all the prerequisites, or remove the table

The Science Portfolio either needs to be removed or replaced by one that actually represents Psionics(several people on here know about Psionics and can write it up without too much inconvenience)

The Secrets Portfolio is still the only portfolio with a weakness added on after Disciple, also the Greater Deity power of Regeneration has absolutely no game effect since you have to have regeneration in the round you are damaged for regeneration to affect you, if you still want the "if you were not damaged this round" caveat change to fast healing

The Weakness section for Protfolios still does not specify that you cannot take divine abilities to negate a weakness

Needs to be clearly stated whether you intend Outsiders to use just the Spiritual Growth section for Divine Rank, just the Paralelled section of the Templates or Both

The Resonance Section could use another page explaining interaction with Apertures (sensing, protecting, moving, etc.)

Alter Reality and Cosmic Firmament need to be syncronized with their various versions

A paragraph or two in the Artifacts section explaining how Immortals coexist in a reality with non-immortal Epic characters and their epic items

The Divine Ability Uncanny Dodge needs its name changed as there's a class ability of the same name

The epic Feats Improved Toughness and Weapon Mastery need to be changed due to non-epic feats existing with the same name and extremely similar abilities(in Complete Warrior and PHB2)

The Combat Mastery epic feat is not needed since there is a non-epic feat that does the same thing (Improved Combat Expertise in Complete Warrior)

The Armor Masteries need clarification as to whether they affect class abilities that are dependant upon not wearing armor (a Monk with Heavy Armor Mastery for example)

The Eighth and Nineth Sense abilities need clarification as to what they actually do as oppossed to infering that you don't exist yet

Bane [Effect] needs clarification as to whether it must be taken for each creature type, if it applys to all of your favored enemies, or if it simply applys to everyone

Spiritual Ancestry gives the traits of a variety of different beings however two of them have issues: Brood Traits aren't listed anywhere, and the Chaotic Good traits should be Eladrin and not fey since all of the other alignments are outsider Subspecies

Dimentional Ancestry has the possibility of giving Inevitable Traits, however, Inevitable traits are "Fast Healing: An Inevitable heals a certain amount of damage each round (Specified in each variety's description) as long as it has at least 1 hit point. However, damage dealt by chaotic weapons heals at the normal rate." leaving a big question as to how much fast healing(be it a formula based upon HD or Divine Rank)

Currently Diseased and Poisonous [Effect] have no effect upon Immortal v. Immortal changing them to (SU) instead of (Ex) would fix this

Currently the Divine Ability Undeath specifies that you lose your Con score however the Erstatz Divine Ability does not

Currently the Fertility Portfolio has a severe penalty to it once it reaches Demi-Deity status, namely every day they lose a significant chunk of quintessence or populate reality with extremely harmful abominations, consider changing the rejuvenation abilities received at demi-deity status with an ability that reduces the quintessence needed to have a child

Divine Sorcery and Divine Wizardry do exactly the same thing, consider revising to

Divine Wizardry
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 40 Ranks
Benefit: Double your number of Spell Slots for each level.

Divine Sorcery
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 40 Ranks
Benefit: Double your number of Spells Known for each level.

The Asport Divine Ability needs a range listed, and perhaps a slinging scale for the DC similar to what the Scrying spell has

The Great Breath Divine Ability infers that Deities can create outsiders, however, no rules for such creation are listed

The Learned [Spell, Ability, Weapon, Opponnent] Immunity line of abilities do not specify if you can lower the effect for beneficial effects such as healing or buffing abilities

Uncanny Weapon Focus needs clarification on the BAB progression for Epic Prestige Classes

In multiple places you have unfinished sentences
Now the science portfolio we did decide on using my psionics portfolio and a few divine ability adaptations for psionics

Hey guys! :)

That update may just be tomorrow. I am almost done with the text and its basically just the remainder of the dominion texts (all of which were rewritten*) that need to be copied up (and the Psionic portfolio switchover) that needs completed.

*e.g.

Realm
Your realm is a place of evil (diluted by the immortals second portfolio), where all manner of sins are perpetrated by the immortal and its servants.
Inhabitants: Creatures of evil alignment are attracted to such realms. Those sufficiently cowed may join the immortal’s retinue.
Hazards: Aside from the treachery of the natives themselves, those who dwell too long in this evil place will begin to hear whispers telling them to commit evil acts and the longer they stay, the greater the whispers. Treat this as an enchantment based effect. Those who remain here for 1 day must make a Will save. DC begins at 11 and increases by one point per day you remain in this hellish place.

One last thing I forgot - that Combine your Music copy-paste error is still present...
In Cosmic Architect... Impenitrable Will... Aligned Messiah... and Degeneration...

Howdy jedrious mate! :)

Don't know how I missed these. All sorted now, except as mentioned below.

jedrious said:
The tables need one of three things done: either remove the prerequisites section of the tables altogether, add in all the prerequisites, or remove the table

Thats impossible, there are far too many prereqs - it'll just mess everything up and the tables will just look utterly ridiculous.

jedrious said:
The Science Portfolio either needs to be removed or replaced by one that actually represents Psionics(several people on here know about Psionics and can write it up without too much inconvenience)

I just need to find the post (will look for it when I have all the other changes sorted).

The Secrets Portfolio is still the only portfolio with a weakness added on after Disciple, also the Greater Deity power of Regeneration has absolutely no game effect since you have to have regeneration in the round you are damaged for regeneration to affect you, if you still want the "if you were not damaged this round" caveat change to fast healing

They may have been damaged on the previous round, hence the regeneration.

The Resonance Section could use another page explaining interaction with Apertures (sensing, protecting, moving, etc.)

You can't move or sense it, I think I have protecting it covered.

The Divine Ability Uncanny Dodge needs its name changed as there's a class ability of the same name.

The epic Feats Improved Toughness and Weapon Mastery need to be changed due to non-epic feats existing with the same name and extremely similar abilities(in Complete Warrior and PHB2)

The Combat Mastery epic feat is not needed since there is a non-epic feat that does the same thing (Improved Combat Expertise in Complete Warrior)

I had already made my feats before they came out with theirs and I cannot reference theirs in my book.

Spiritual Ancestry gives the traits of a variety of different beings however two of them have issues: Brood Traits aren't listed anywhere, and the Chaotic Good traits should be Eladrin and not fey since all of the other alignments are outsider Subspecies

Brood are my name for Slaad and I similarly equate Fey with Eladrin. Slaad and Eladrin are not OGL therefore I cannot mention them.

Last edited:

WarDragon said:
But regeneration won't do anything at all unless the damage they've already taken was nonlethal.
Yes, if the intent was to allow the deity to heal up via this ability in rounds where they are not taking damage, then this use of regeneration does not work. (Fast healing would, however)

Regeneration has two main effects:
1. It converts all* damage taken to Non-Lethal while you have it. (*Except for things that overcome it, typically fire, acid, etc)
2. It heals Non-lethal damage at X points per round. (I believe on your own turn, although it doesn't specify) So Regeneration 10 would heal 10 points of Non-lethal per round.

So, the god of secrets gets hurt in round 1 before his turn. Since he technically had regeneration up to the point where he was hurt, he would have taken the damage as non-lethal. However, since, on his turn, since he was hurt this round, on his turn he does not heal any non-lethal damage. The one benefit the god of secrets DOES have is that he can use healing magic to heal non-lethal at an equal rate. (So, for example If the god of secrets took 100 non-lethal from the first attack an 100 lethal damage from the next, a healing effect that would normally heal 100 hp will take away both 100 lethal damage and 100 non-lethal, leaving the deity in question at full health)

I'd like to note that this ability is a bit messy when it comes to initiative; A deity will always possess this quality until he is attacked the first time in a round. Then you would be treating that point as the starting point of 'a round' for determining if the deity took damage. (Unless it further changes via someone else damaging the deity) By itself, this isn't terribly hard to track, but in a combat with lots of attacks going on, it will change often.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper_Krust said:
Brood are my name for Slaad and I similarly equate Fey with Eladrin. Slaad and Eladrin are not OGL therefore I cannot mention them.

This is true for "slaad." However, "eladrin" is in fact in the SRD, and can be mentioned freely.

I refer you to the text for summon monster VI, which lists, among others, "Bralani (eladrin)" and thus making the term available.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads