• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arg-ha Lardgoa

Half-Ogre King
Selling your soul

here is an interesting question, suppose a character had sold his soul to an efreeti prior to ascension, what happens at ascension since the soul no longer is in possession of the character and is a possession of the efreeti?

possible archer idea?

Instant Shot (Ex/Su)

Your arrows fly through the air in no time at all.

Benefit: Arrows or other missile weapons you fire do not take any time to reach their targets. All such attacks catch their targets flat-footed.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi all! :)

I'm starting to shore up some of the weak areas of the Ability lists.

Specifically with regards class based powers.

I like each to have 4-8 Feats, 3-6 Divine, 2-4 Cosmic and 1-2 Transcendental.

I think I am lacking Transcendentals for most:

Barbarian: ?
Bard: ?
Cleric: perhaps Sanctity should be Transcendental
Druid: perhaps Molymorph should be Transcendental
Fighter: TransAttack Period or Perfect Strike
Monk: Quivering Aura
Paladin: perhaps Cogency should be Transcendental
Ranger: ?
Rogue: perhaps Underhanded should be Transcendental
Sorcerer: ?
Wizard: ?

The last two probably blend into a catch all 'Spellcasting' category.

I also think I am probably shy a few Ranger abilities. I have come up with Inspire Animosity, but thats probably going to be a Divine Ability (In fact I am wondering about a range of Inspire [Insert Class Ability] type abilities (Inspire Sneak Attack etc.).

So if anyone can think of some good Ranger abilities, feel free to post them. Another Monk and Barbarian cosmic ability would be cool too.

I'm wondering about a Clerical ability whereby Turned Undead are automatically resurrected instead of destroyed.

Does anyone see any other Class weaknesses (other than Psionic Classes)?

A few people have spoken to me about more Archer based powers, so I'll be looking into coming up with a few more of those.

Any thoughts?

Archer: "Away with you," objected the archer as the enormous beast prepared to rend him in twain. With a single motion, he loaded the demon in to his bow and shot him back across the battlefield.
Through some sort of attack, you can load and fire any adjacent opponent away from you to re-establish distance.

Archer: He faced a swarm of eagles carved from glass. Their glinting feathers blinded him with the sun's light. It was no matter: he drew a forest of arrows from his quiver and strummed them along the bowstring, and glittering shards rained from the sky.
Archers with this feat can do full damage to a swarm with projectile weapons, regardless of how small the swarm's constituents are.

Archer: "You have no arrows," laughed Besax.
"It is no matter," said the bowman, as he strung and fired his contempt through the demon's heart, killing it instantly.
A bowman with this feat requires no ammunition to fire his bow, so long as he can name what it is he draws from the environment - be it physical or abstract - to

Archer: "But you had no bow," gasped Besax in his final breaths.
"It was no matter," said the bowman. "Your arrogance provided the sinew, your confidence the string."
As a fletcher carves bows from wood, great heroes can carve bows from the world. If unarmed, he can draw a metaphysical bow from nowhere as a normal 'draw a weapon' action.

Cleric: "Do not raise hand against me," warned the saint. "I am sacrosanct."
The vampire sneered. "I am unimpressed." He raked his claws across the saint. He burned instantly to ash.
Divine channelers with this feat automatically receive a free turning attempt (and exercise it without an action) whenever they are attacked in melee by undead (or other creatures they are capable of turning.)

Cleric: "If you are so powerful, why do you merely heal?" said the Angel in dismay. "Why do you not prevent such illness?"
God thought upon this, then issued forth a proclamation: all that he hath healed was never harmed.
With this (cosmic? transcendental? omnific?) ability, any healing you do is retroactive to the time of harm. For example, Joan of Arc is laid low in battle by an errant bowshot and instantly slain. When she rises in to heaven, Logos resurrects her: immediately history is rewritten so that she was miraculously resurrected at the instant of the arrow's impact.

Ranger: "From whence did you come?" cried the demon. "No man can travel through the astral as a demon!"
"I am no mere man," whispered the harrier. "I traced your path, and I knew it well, so well that it stepped aside to let me past. No matter where you go, I can hunt you. I can find you."
Trackers of sufficient skill can undertake gnostic trials to become so intimately tied to the trails they follow that they are one with their beginning and their end; on a successful tracking check, they can appear nearby their quarry. This is based on gnostic, a-rational principles and is not impeded by antimagic.

Monk: The sky fell. The world shattered. Heaven wept. A nation collapsed in to ashes. The hammer crashed on to the earth. Wormwood was falling to earth, and all was ending.
"No," said the wise man, raising his hand and striking the stone with the Constellation-Halting Atemi. Immediately it ceased it's plummeting, forced to pause, where upon he deflected it from it's path in to a more auspicious course through the heavens.
Monks of sufficient puissance and wisdom can stun not only constructs and other creatures normally unable to be stunned, but inanimate objects as well. By expending a use of stunning attack, he may perfectly block any incoming physical projectile, regardless of how ridiculous it may be.

Barbarian: The barbarian stepped forward. Blood flowed as men poured themselves against him and dissolved as if against a stone wall.
With this ability, any attack that successfully downs the target retroactively becomes a free action; in this fashion, a potent warrior can wade through a limitless sea of levies without slowing.

Barbarian: "He roared in fury. The earth bellowed, the sky shook. Thunder burst from his mouth and echoed from the canyon walls. In a rage, the cliff face slid down to smash his foemen as the earth clenched rocky fingers about their ankles, the sky belching forth lightning. The Elementars had heard the shout of wrath, and they answered." Basically you get so pissed off that the very world is driven to action by your rage.

Here's an idea for wizards/sorcerers. Perhaps Divine/cosmic in power:
An ability that gives a wizard/sorcerer levels in the other class at a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio. (So a level 100 wizard could cast spells as a level 20 or 25th level sorcerer, much as many monsters like dragons have integrated spell lists. (Perhaps requireing either massive ranks in spellcraft or Knowledge: Arcana)
A sorcerer can invoke all sorts of spells at divine levels but not know how they work or how to piece them together? An epic wizard is just a guy with a staff, with no innate magic powers asside from his mastery of "wizard math?" (useless with the spell-likes and alter reality you give out, as well as being unable to affect anything with SR. Good utility though)
I think your metamagic capacity and the Epic Spellcasting feat are enough for epic mages to "Chew on" as far as main-ability enhancing powers. Perhaps a "Greater Improved Familiar Power" or somesuch that would allow epic level monsters as familiars (Like max ECL of famailar = 1/2 caster level) or a feat/divine power that gives you Familiar advancement progression reguardless of class levels.
Perhaps an Improved Tenacious Magic Divine/Cosmic Power, like the old one, but instead of pick one spell, it works for all that you cast. (And only disjunction/antimagic will stop the effects).
Perhaps a power that lets you treat magic immunity as SR = Your Caster Level + 20. If you have spell penetration, you need an 18 or better to affect the monster. (Perhaps with additional restrictions, like the monster automatically succeeds the save, etc.)
Another one based on the 2E writeup of Elminster, perhaps a power that increases your caster level to 20 points higher than any spellcaster of similar class you face. (Max of doubling your caster level)

Last edited:

More ideas

Persistent Shot

If you make a ranged attack and miss, every round thereafter, up to a number of rounds equal to your base attack bonus, your arrow makes another attack roll against its target with a cumulative +1 attack bonus until it hits. During this time the arrow is considered to be adjacent to its target and may be sundered.

Perforating Shot

As above, but the arrow continues to make attack rolls even if it has already hit. Successful attacks do not contribute to the cumulative bonus.

Perfect Sneak

If you are unobserved, you may teleport as a free action to any place you can see. Your destination point must also be unobserved.

Pssthpok

First Post
Is there a Point Blank Shot tree? Here's one off the cuff...

PBS: +1 to ranged attacks within 30'
IPBS: +1 to ranged damage within 30'
GPBS: +2 to ranged attacks within 30'
PPBS [Epic]: +2 to ranged damage within 30'
PB Mastery [Epic]: +4 to ranged attack and damage within 60'*
Uncanny PBS [Epic]: Allows bow and arrow enchantments to stack to total attack and damage within 60'.
Super PBS [Divine]: Adds divine bonus to damage within 120'
Hyper PBS [Cosmic]: Ranged attacks deal double damage within 120'
Ultra PBS [Transcendant]: Ranged attacks always threaten criticals within divine aura

*each increase in the range affects all PBS effects

Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

Hey there matey! :)

Arg-ha Lardgoa said:
here is an interesting question, suppose a character had sold his soul to an efreeti prior to ascension, what happens at ascension since the soul no longer is in possession of the character and is a possession of the efreeti?

Well I'd have to read the fine print on the Efreet's contract.

You may need to buy back your soul before ascension could take place, of course a potential immortal soul may cost more. ;)

Arg-ha Lardgoa

Half-Ogre King
that's what I was figuring. There is a buy back clause in the contract, and you would not want to read the fine print in the contract, unless you had a very high INT and had lots of ranks in Prof (lawyer) :D :]

Sledge

First Post
Hiya UK, I'm starting to drool here. I know you wanted to wait for a finished product, but I'm not so patient. Gimme gimme gimme, um please?
Seriously I would love to see this sooner rather than later.

Hey Sledge matey! :)

Sledge said:
Hiya UK, I'm starting to drool here. I know you wanted to wait for a finished product, but I'm not so patient. Gimme gimme gimme, um please?
Seriously I would love to see this sooner rather than later.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather wait for Beta 1.0...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads