• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Fieari

Explorer
poilbrun said:
Well, seen that way, Cosmic String is an awesome power. I like the idea of the enemy tied to the planes in a way that he is virtually undefeatable.

A question though: what happens to the layer/plane/dimension when such a creature awakens? What happens when the creature really dies (because it is killed by an opponent of higher status)?
Hrm... I'm suddenly getting a vision of Thieves and Kings, with regards to Cespinarve Rogue. In the comic, he's a runty mountain wyrm (a dragon litterally the size of a mountain) that after being told off by a high-epic level thief, stops eatting cities (swallow whole) and actually does some heroic things like fighting off some really nasty demon-like things. Although he wins, he does get poisoned in the process, sending him into an ages long sleep... during which time, mages and sorcerers use his dream as a world to visit and manipulate for their own causes.

Sounds a LOT like Cosmic String here...

At anyrate, to get to my point, when Cespinarve is finally woken up, the dreamworld vanishes, and all the "matter" within it utterly vanishes, and all the souls within it are either sent back to their bodies in their original worlds, or in the cases in which said bodies have died already, go to their respective eternal destinations.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I love the idea too. It means that villians can come back at pivotal points in the game. Time and time again the foul can arise from their own bones and slaughter pcs again and again. Cosmic threats that linger even after they are trapped, influencing the weak willed while so trapped. Possessing mortals and sundering them in an effort to be free once more. Id imagine plots could develope around freeing these horrors. Or even plots where, if one destroys the being and it's dimension with it, one becomes a god and can create their own hell.

Hey all! :)

Apologies for my sloth, I got into a flap about Hordes of the Abyss and I felt compelled to lay the smackdown over in the General Discussion forums this afternoon. ;)

poilbrun said:
Well, seen that way, Cosmic String is an awesome power. I like the idea of the enemy tied to the planes in a way that he is virtually undefeatable.

Glad you guys like the Cosmic String idea, I think it makes for a cool cosmic nemesis or recurring villain.

poilbrun said:
A question though: what happens to the layer/plane/dimension when such a creature awakens?

Technically nothing, remember its just a sentient manifestation.

However, if you were on the layer at the time you could possibly be shunted into another. Any such being will have the ability to expel you from itself.

If you were on its layer when it awoke, its face could look like the sky, or the ground (as with Ojukalazogadit).

From the outside it may only look Macro-Diminutive (or whatever), but from the inside it would still be technically infinite)

poilbrun said:
What happens when the creature really dies (because it is killed by an opponent of higher status)?

I think the layer/plane would start to shrink/break-up, or in some fashion destroy itself.

I remember an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation, where Wesley Crusher created a Warp Bubble which Doctor Crusher (his mum) got trapped within, but she didn't notice it because it was like a duplicate universe. Anyway, in the warp bubble (where shes still on a duplicate Enterprise) the crew sporadically began to disappear and no one remembered them, as if they were erased from reality. Not only were people dsiappearing, but also the entire universe was contracting (because the warp bubble was decaying). The Doctor kept asking the computer how big the universe was and kept getting a different answer until the universe was the size of the Enterprise.

Anyway, very cool episode, well worth checking out.

So thats basically how I would interpret planar death. The whole area will start to contract. This could manifest in different ways for different planes, perhaps if you killed the Old One who represents gluttony it might look like the plane was starting to eat itself.

Anyone who couldn't escape would be destroyed, being erased from reality. Also the same thing would happen if you were caught by the 'tidal wave' of destruction).

The only thing I am unsure of is exactly how fast it would contract. Maybe 1 second for every hit point the plane-being originally had. Which would probably give you a few hours.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
writers block...assistance anyone?

ABOMINATION, HOL'EIN (Hollow One)
Medium Outsider (Abomination, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 35d8+700 (985 hp)
Initiative: +22 (+14 Dex, +4 Divine, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 71 (+10 Dex, +4 divine, +22 natural, +25 deflection), touch , flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +35/+69
Attack: Slam +69 melee (4d6+39/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 slams +69 melee (4d6+39/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Air mastery, breath weapon, dimensional folding, divine electricity, improved grab, spell-like abilities, strangle, weakness gaze
Special Qualities: Abomination traits, cold immunity, construct traits, damage reduction 15/epic and good, electricity immunity, fast healing, fear aura, fire immunity, internal limbo, legendary constitution, legendary dexterity, legendary strength, outsider traits, regeneration 15, scion of storms, slipstream, sonic immunity, spell resistance 49
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str 70, Dex 30, Con 66, Int 60, Wis 60, Cha 60
Skills:
Feats: Improved Critical (Slam),Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Slam), Weapon Focus (Slam)
Environment: Any lower plane or the material plane.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 36-70 HD (Medium), 70+ HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: ?

Abomination Traits:

• Divine Traits: Abominations are effectively quasi-deities and as such add a +4 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance.

• Immunities: Abominations are immune to enchantment, illusionist and transmutation magic. They are not subject to energy drain, ability damage or drain.

• Special Qualities: Abominations are not subject to death from massive damage and have maximum hit points per Hit Die.

• Telepathy: Abominations can communicate telepathically with any creature within 1000 feet that has a language.

• Virtual Size Category: Most abominations have at least 15 points of strength beyond the average for creatures of that size and as such gain a Virtual Size Category.

Air Mastery (Ex): Airborne creatures take a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls against a hol'ein

Breath Weapon (Su): The hol'ein can inhale with supernatural force, creating a cone of vacuum 60 ft. long capable of sucking targets into the demiplane that acts as its stomach. Those caught within the area of effect must succeed at either a Reflex save (DC 59) or a strength check (DC 59) to avoid being devoured. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Dimensional Folding (Su): Using its breath weapon the hol'ein can swallow creatures of any size, even those larger than itself.

Distasteful (Su): Any creature that bites or eats any part of a hol'ein must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 59) or be forced to vomit or regurgitate the monster in the subsequent round, during which it can take no other actions.

Construct Traits: Inspite of being very much alive, these artificially created abominations possess traits almost identical to those of a construct. Immune to mind-affecting effects and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, any effect that requires a fortitude save unless it also works on objects. Can heal damage and can be repaired. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability drain or energy drain. Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less; cannot be raised or resurrected. Darkvision 60ft. They do not, however, gain any bonus hit points based upon their size and dopossess a constitution score.

Divine Electricity (Su): Anyone grappling with, or being struck by one of the hol'ein’s natural weapons suffers an additional amount of divine electricity damage equal to the base damage dice of the attack. If the hol'ein scores a critical hit with its natural weaponry this damage is also doubled. Half of ths damage is electricity and the other half divine power and is therefore not subject to reduction by protection from energy (electricity) or similar magic. be raised or resurrected.

Fear Aura (Su): Hol'ein can radiate a 35-foot radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 56) or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 39th). A creature that saves cannot be affected by the same hol'ein’s aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the hol'ein must hit with a slam attack. It can then attempt to grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can begin to strangle.

Internal Limbo (Ex): The interior of the hol'ein is actually larger than the exterior would suggest. Those consumed by the hol'ein find themselves not in the creatures digestive tract, but rather on a dismal demiplane that vaguely resembles an endless thundering wasteland that frequently hit by deadly lightning, powerful winds, torrential rains, none of which the hol'ein has control over without using it's other abilities. Beings with the ability to gate or planeshift can escape, all others are marooned until rescued. Teleport spells function within the hol'ein, but you cannot teleport out. The more the hol'ein eats the larger the demiplane becomes, some may even have communities composed of stalwart survivors. Should the hol'ein be destroyed, the demiplane within collapses and its contents are forever lost. The hol'ein exists simultaneously outside this demiplane and inside thisdemiplane. The other self of the hol'ein that exists within this demiplane can use it's breath weapon to set other free, it serves as a doorway between the two dimensions, the one the hol'ein is in and the internal limbo that exists within the hol'ein. Damage upon either self is suffered by the other self. Similarly all else is also so affected. For one is merely an extension of the other.

Legendary Constitution (Ex): The hol'ein's prodigious stamina is renowned. Their constitution score is twice that of other abominations their size.

Legendary Dexterity (Ex): The hol'ein's amazing agility is renowned. Their dexterity score is twice that of other abominations their size.

Legendary Strength (Ex): The hol'ein's strength is the stuff of legend. Their strength score is twice that of other abominations their size, and as a result gain +4 Virtual Size Categories.

Outsider Traits: Hol'ein have darkvison (60 foot range). They cannot be raised or resurrected.

Regeneration (Su): A hol'ein takes normal damage from weapons that are both cursed and epic.

Scion of Storms (Su): Any storm based attacks dealt by the hol'ein (whether from its spell-like abilities or tempest of vengeance ability) have half their damage treated as divine energy.

Slipstream (Su): Hol'ein cannot be affected by temporal magic unless they so wish, neither can they be undermined by time travel.

Spell-like Abilities (Su): At will – Any and all non-epic spells (one per round, unless feats, ect. would allow otherwise) with the following descriptors: air, cold, darkness, divination, earth, electricity, evil, fire, force, mind-affecting, shadow, and sonic, and/or from the following domains: Air, Cold, Corruption, Darkness, Death, Earth, Fire, Pain, Repose, Sand, Summer, Thirst, Time, Weather, and Winter and/or from the following schools of magic: divination, evocation, illusion, necromancy, and transmutation . Caster Level 39th; Save DC 56 + spell level.

Strangle (Ex): If the hol'ein strikes the same target with two slam attacks it can attempt a strangle, provided the target is no more than one size category larger than the hol'ein. This is akin to drowning although the initial Fortitude save (DC 63) increases by 1 each round the hol'ein tightens its grip. The victim also suffers 6d6+20+6d6 (electricity) per round.

Weakness Gaze (Su): When the hol'ein desires, 3d10 Strength drain, 30 feet, Fortitude save (DC 56) negates. The save DC is Charisma-based. Those creatures otherwise immune to ability damage/drain, still suffer half the effect if they fail their saving throw.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Look, just stop. When you take a bunch of interesting, thematically coherent epic monsters and glom them together, you don't get more awesome, all you get is a mess. Higher numbers doesn't mean more cool.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Feel free to adjust, modify this however you see fit. I like the basic idea, but Im at a loss as to how to continue. Ive got a creative block that wont go away. Essentially they are hollow, quite human looking, and disturing to say the least. They exist within themselves and have a plethora of spell-like abilities. The suck their victims in only to torment them eternally. Then they spit them up as undead. The spell-like abilities are fairly close to their selection. I figure them having them all, but Im too lazy to write all the spell-like. They have strong ties to all the horrid aspect of the wastelands. They are intended to be empty husks filled with more emptyness than anyone could ever imagine.

Sledge

First Post
UK, I think that the recent server crash may have reverted your version of Bestiary to 1.2 Might want to reupload the current version.

Hey Sledge matey! :)

Sledge said:
UK, I think that the recent server crash may have reverted your version of Bestiary to 1.2 Might want to reupload the current version.

I just double checked and you were right.

I have changed it back to 1.5.

Anyone who bought the Bestiary from ENWorld this past month should go back and redownload.

Thanks Sledge mate! ;)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Cool beaners, got the update, thanks krusty. Side note...my campaign has a huge problem. There's an artifact in our campaign that is so blasphemous that it turns any mortal who is foolish enough to touch it...into an abomination, permanently. The problem is this...it turns them into an abomination that still looks entirely human in it's true form. This is of course quite deceptive. And the abomination itself is meant to be quite deceptive. It's suppossed to be Maskim related and it is suppossed to be sorcerous in nature. With a great deal of magical abilities. A true horror that shames even the greatest infernals.

Can anyone help?

Remove ads