• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Thanks Alzrius dude! :)

I have amended all the errata (although some of the items have changed in the print version so I had to double check the bonuses).

eg. Kabiri wears bracers of epic armor +32 and the Broken Crown. He also wields a +11 keen, prismatic, unholy adamantine longsword of wounding.

Hiya Anabstercorian mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Also, I maintain that the Cometary Dragon's Seventh Sense ability remains an unplayable mess.

Its a tricky power to explain.

Epic Bestiary said:
Seventh Sense (Ex): A cometary dragon’s senses extend one round into the future. It can never be caught flat-footed or surprised and gains its dexterity bonus against foes it cannot perceive. To adjudicate this, allow the dragon to replay the round again with the knowledge of what is going to happen next. The dragon can replay a number of rounds each day equal to its age category, beyond that, the time stream becomes too muddied for it to perceive until time once again is allowed to take its natural course.

I am open to suggestions as to how to improve it. Although I need to keep roughly the same amount of text.

Hey all! :)

By the way I meant to say, if anyone (or multiple people) come up with some ideas for a Ring of Unelemental Command. I'll probably add it to the Print Version (and list them in the credits).

I don't like the look of the quarter page of whitespace on the Unelemental entry, it stands out, given virtually all the other pages are filled to the brim.

I have a few ideas for the item myself, but I just never really followed them through. :confused:

Pssthpok

First Post
Howabout...
Seventh Sense: A cometary dragon’s senses extend one round into the future. It can never be caught flat-footed or surprised and gains its dexterity bonus against foes it cannot perceive. To adjudicate this, the dragon is unaffected by events that occur in one round until the following round. The dragon can replay a number of rounds each day equal to its age category, beyond that, the time stream becomes too muddied for it to perceive until time once again is allowed to take its natural course.

and...

Ring of Unelemental Command: This ring is a simple loop of some unknown black metal. Unelemental creatures cannot approach within 20 ft. of the wearer of this ring. If the wearer desires, he can forego this protection and instead attemt to charm or dominate the unelemental.
Creatures from the plane to which the ring is attuned who attack the wearer take a -4 penalty on their attack rolls. The ring wearer makes applicable saving throws from the extraplanar creature’s attacks with a +4 resistance bonus. He gains a +8 morale bonus on all attack rolls against such creatures. Any weapon he uses bypasses the damage reduction of such creatures, regardless of any qualities the weapon may or may not have.
The wearer of the ring is able to converse with unelemental creatures. These creatures recognize that he wears the ring. They show a healthy respect for the wearer if alignments are similar. If alignments are opposed, creatures fear the wearer if he is strong. If he is weak, they hate and desire to slay him.
The possessor of a ring of epic elemental command takes a -4 saving throw penalty against spells and effects involving the elements (acid, cold, electricity, fire).
In addition to the powers described above, the ring gives its wearer the following abilities:
deeper darkness, disintegrate, greater dispel magic (unlimited use)
death ward, entropic shield (unlimited use, wearer only)
destruction, scintillating pattern, waves of exhaustion (3/day)
Overwhelming conjuration; Caster Level: 41st; Prerequisites: Forge Epic Ring, summon monster VI, all appropriate spells; Market Price: ? gp; Cost to Create: ?

Anabstercorian

First Post
You have my sympathy on the seventh-sense thing. It's a bitch of a situation; cramming rules on how to handle a temporal paradox in to a very short paragraph.

Seventh Sense (Ex): A cometary dragon’s senses extend one round into the future; it can't be caught flat-footed or surprised and gains its dexterity bonus against foes it can't perceive. Because this ability creates paradoxes that must be resolved, the dragon is not affected by any effect or attack until one round after they are exposed to it; they can use this grace period to pre-emptively heal any damage it may cause or activate defenses against it, such as a Death Ward to counter a death effect.

This removes the age-category scaling; I'm aware of that. I believe the Time Folding ability gives the Cometary Dragon adequate age-dependent beef.

Edit: Beaten! Great minds think alike, Pssthpok.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Here's my take on the ring:

Ring of Unelemental Command: This 'ring' is and is not; it has no physical or incorporeal existence and cannot be damaged by normal means, and can only be perceived as a fading opaque black band through the use of True Seeing, Analyze Dweomer, and similar magic. Anyone who can perceive the ring can manipulate it to place it upon their person, though it is weightless and frictionless until worn, whereupon it becomes as weighty as lead. Unelemental creatures cannot approach within 20 ft. of the wearer of this ring. If the wearer desires, he can forego this protection and instead attemt to charm or dominate the unelemental.
Creatures from the plane to which the ring is attuned who attack the wearer take a -4 penalty on their attack rolls. The ring wearer makes applicable saving throws from the extraplanar creature’s attacks with a +4 resistance bonus. He gains a +8 morale bonus on all attack rolls against such creatures. Any weapon he uses bypasses the damage reduction of such creatures, regardless of any qualities the weapon may or may not have, and is not destroyed by contact with creatures with the Entropic Mastery extraordinary ability.
The wearer of the ring is able to converse with unelemental creatures through silence. These creatures recognize that he wears the ring. They show a healthy respect for the wearer if alignments are similar. If alignments are opposed, creatures fear the wearer if he is strong. If he is weak, they hate and desire to slay him.
The possessor of a ring of epic elemental command takes a -4 saving throw penalty against spells and effects involving the elements (acid, cold, electricity, fire).
In addition to the powers described above, the ring gives its wearer the following abilities:
•deeper darkness, disintegrate, greater dispel magic (unlimited use)
•death ward, entropic shield (unlimited use, wearer only)
•destruction, scintillating pattern, waves of exhaustion (3/day)
The ring of unelemental command can eradicate rings of elemental command with a touch and constantly urges the wielder to seek them out for destruction, though this has no game mechanical effect.
Overwhelming conjuration; Caster Level: 41st; Prerequisites: Forge Epic Ring, summon monster VI, all appropriate spells; Market Price: ? gp; Cost to Create: ?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Anabstercorian said:
Seventh Sense (Ex): A cometary dragon’s senses extend one round into the future; it can't be caught flat-footed or surprised and gains its dexterity bonus against foes it can't perceive. Because this ability creates paradoxes that must be resolved, the dragon is not affected by any effect or attack until one round after they are exposed to it; they can use this grace period to pre-emptively heal any damage it may cause or activate defenses against it, such as a Death Ward to counter a death effect.

I like this formulation. The two options are exhaustive, right? They can't teleport away to avoid the attack all together, or destroy the origin of an attack, or something of the sort. Pre-emptive healing and/or the activation of defenses is the only thing they can do. Right?

Pssthpok

First Post
Beaten! Great minds think alike, Pssthpok.

Too true, friend!

This 'ring' is and is not; it has no physical or incorporeal existence and cannot be damaged by normal means, and can only be perceived as a fading opaque black band through the use of True Seeing, Analyze Dweomer, and similar magic. Anyone who can perceive the ring can manipulate it to place it upon their person, though it is weightless and frictionless until worn, whereupon it becomes as weighty as lead.

Oh, I like this bit a lot.

historian

First Post
I think those are cool suggestions.

There is another ability I have in mind that I like:

If the wearer slays any being of divine stature while wearing the Ring of Unelemental Command, an unelemental (with the same number of hit dice as the slain deity) forms within 1d6+1 days and is bound to the will of the wearer until destroyed or until the ring is removed from the wearer's control.

This could lead to some interesting epic campaigns IMO.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I like this formulation. The two options are exhaustive, right? They can't teleport away to avoid the attack all together, or destroy the origin of an attack, or something of the sort. Pre-emptive healing and/or the activation of defenses is the only thing they can do. Right?

Teleporting away before the attack hits strikes me as a very legitimate effect, but it's probably best to leave it exhaustive as you say.

Remove ads