Immortals Handbook - Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Magic discussion)

Hiya mate! :)

Cheiromancer said:
I'm exploring the pricing of epic items, and I came up with a value of 60 million for a rod of invulnerability that grants hardness 50 to its bearer. I figure that to be +10 ECL, and should be appropriate for a character to get some time around 135th or 140th level.

Does that sound about right?

ECL 154 (Powerful Intermediate deity or relatively weak Greater god)

60 million, divided by 10,000 = 6000.

6000 squared = 77.

Therefore since we use half the enhancement bonus of an item (which uses bonus squared x 10,000) from ECL, reverse engineered we double it to find the level whereupon the item is appropriate.

77 x 2 = 154.

Equipment is 1/3 ECL. Therefore the artifacts would total ECL +51. Which is about ECL +13 per artifact.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I just realized that I forgot to multiply by 5/6. (I'm using v4) So a rod granting hardness 50 would be only an ECL +8.3 artifact. So it is appropriate for a 100th level character, and should cost only 25 million.

25 million, divided by 10 000 = 2500

2500 = 50 squared.

50 x 2 = 100.

For low-epic characters I'm thinking more that they'll have 1 item worth about 25% of their total equipment value, and 3 or so worth 10%. And a bunch of items up to 5% of the maximum value. Does this sound reasonable?

Hiya mate! :)

Cheiromancer said:
For low-epic characters I'm thinking more that they'll have 1 item worth about 25% of their total equipment value, and 3 or so worth 10%. And a bunch of items up to 5% of the maximum value. Does this sound reasonable?

Well certainly there will be a transition period between going from perhaps 12-13 or so items (not counting one shot items like potions and scrolls) as characters turn epic level, to the four items possessed by immortals.

So the trick will be whittling that down to the four most important, that the character wants to be identified with.

What you could do is limit a character to four epic items, but allow them to keep their non-epic items. The benefits of these will become less and less pronounced, also once you throw in a few immortal encounters where disjunction or anti-magic are used, such items will be seen for their true worth.

Arg-ha Lardgoa

Half-Ogre King
can you post a quick guide on how much QP would be used per XP for creating items. My characters are 20th level hero deities and some are going to want to make artifacts.

Hi Arg-ha mate! :)

apologies for the slow reply. :eek:

Arg-ha Lardgoa said:
can you post a quick guide on how much QP would be used per XP for creating items. My characters are 20th level hero deities and some are going to want to make artifacts.

Well that depends on whether or not you are using QP for just the XP costs or both the XP or GP costs.

I suggest using 1 QP = 1 XP for such purposes, and 1 QP = 25 GP.

Although once you create the initial artifact, it will grow with you in power - the downside of that is you can only use 4 artifacts (epic items) at a time.

Hi Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
On a sort of different note, UK... are you a Doctor Who fan?

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a 'Whovian', but I have seen all the episodes and I even watch the Torchwood spin-off series (for better or worse).

My favourite all time episodes are Inferno (3rd Doctor) and Earthshock (5th Doctor).

In fairness, Inferno was probably inspired by the Star Trek: TOS episode Mirror, Mirror (which ironically, I just watched on television an hour ago while I was getting my dinner). But there is something about the old episodes lacking in the new ones, I think primarily the scope.

...although to pre-empt the inevitable, thats not where I got the idea for the name Time Lords from (I found that digging around some old occult book; I think it was a side reference to Aeons or beings from Sirius...something like that).

Pssthpok

First Post
Not at all surprised. :)
With recent computer, eh... calamities, I have much more room on my drives and have taken to searching out the older Doctor Who episodes. I'm not impartial to the 9th and 10th Doctors, however.

All the same, any thoughts on the TARDIS at all? A living thing... capable of incredible feats of technology. What PL would you rank it in? The highest?

The being from Sirius were the "Dogon", IIRC.

Hi Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
Not at all surprised. :)

I'm from the United Kingdom, I'm into sci-fi, comics and roleplaying games. OF COURSE I am a Doctor Who fan! :D

Pssthpok said:
With recent computer, eh... calamities, I have much more room on my drives and have taken to searching out the older Doctor Who episodes.

I generally find the 3rd, 4th and 5th Doctors have the best episodes (from my perspective that is).

Pssthpok said:
I'm not impartial to the 9th and 10th Doctors, however.

I think its biggest crutch has been its success. In that by courting the mainstream to an extent it distances itself from sci-fi. But I don't hate it for that, its still good television.

Pssthpok said:
All the same, any thoughts on the TARDIS at all? A living thing... capable of incredible feats of technology. What PL would you rank it in? The highest?

Interesting question. PL 10 Temporal Age seems to be a start (although for some reason I have that down as 1.0 on the Kardashev Scale - I may have to rethink that). Doctor Who's Time Lords are listed as 4.0 on the Kardashev scale. So as a society they should be in and around the Old One/First One level of power.

Pssthpok said:
The being from Sirius were the "Dogon", IIRC.

Sirius is quite a popular cosmic tourist spot. ;)

Hi Pssthpok mate! :)

Meant to add before, if you are checking out Doctor Who episodes you should check out Blake's Seven (that show is fantastic). Only 52 episodes (4 seasons of 13), but virtually everyone is a gem. Make sure you watch them in order though. ;)

Remove ads