Immortals Handbook - Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Magic discussion)

Hell yes! I currently use a slightly modified version of the IH Godsend stats for my Cosmic Level Pathfinder Campaign. It's a really simple conversion, PF and 3.5 are essentially the same with the exception of not needing to do advanced calculus to grapple.

I'll make the PF conversion myself if you want, it's not hard. I'd go as far as saying converting the whole book series would be just as simple.

Hey amigo! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
Well, don't you have 2 more Vampire Bestiaries planned?

They are both basically finished but for the adventure portion (and have been for a few months). :(

After those, D&D Next may be out, and then you can decide whether to make future work 4E, Pathfinder, or D&D Next.

I guess. We'll see how it goes. Although at this juncture I just see 5E diluting the fanbase further and Paizo will probably be contemplating a new Pathfinder soonish so who knows.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Although at this juncture I just see 5E diluting the fanbase further and Paizo will probably be contemplating a new Pathfinder soonish so who knows.

For what it's worth, not only is there nothing to suggest this, but the Paizo guys have explicitly denied this (and unlike WotC, they have some credibility in that area).

I agree... Pathfinder basically exists and was successful because people thought the radical changes to 4E made it a different game and people wanted to stay with something that was still basically the D&D they knew (even without the name)...

So I don't think they'd risk messing that up with a radically new edition. Maybe a few changes on the level of the 3.5 -> PF changes, but even that ... probably not anytime soon. I mean, Paizo doesn't even want to launch another campaign setting, so I really don't see them changing the mechanics.

Maybe when they completely run out of new rulebooks to write, but even then they might just do more campaign setting stuff instead... which they could probably produce at the current rate for 20-30 more years without exhausting it all, there's whole continents barely touched on... plus the other planets...

Hey Alzrius mate! :)

Alzrius said:
For what it's worth, not only is there nothing to suggest this, but the Paizo guys have explicitly denied this (and unlike WotC, they have some credibility in that area).

Yes it'll be interesting to see how Paizo solves the conundrum (that has plagued WotC) of no new rulebooks in development.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yes it'll be interesting to see how Paizo solves the conundrum (that has plagued WotC) of no new rulebooks in development.

They've done a surprisingly good job so far of diversifying their RPG materials (even apart from their merchandising, which is also tightly focused).

They currently have three lines of adventures (monthly Adventure Paths, quarterly stand-alone modules, and Pathfinder Society adventures), monthly player aids (Pathfinder Companion) and campaign books (Pathfinder Campaign Guides), the latter two of which can have as much or as little new rules as they need. Hence, they only need to do two or three new hardcover rule books a year.

So far they're doing a decent job of diversifying those. Several have been monster books, others have gone away from class/feat/spell/magic item bloat via things like Ultimate Campaign. Of course, the upcoming Advanced Class Guide shows that they can't avoid it completely, but they seem to at least be aware of the issue, and trying to slow it down.

Akira Whitlock

Explorer
Question: with the attempt of figuring out a better way to approach epic magic
i have been sifting through this thread and have basically found two things: use empower spell for more damage and heighten spellfor higher DCs , for they are a balanced way to approach spellcasting at higher levels
Obviously there are more metamagic feats available but these make up the two primary damage dealers.
Am i missing anything else major?
Also is there a text/pdf/word/etc document of some sort for epic spells/descriptions/artifacts/epic weapons?

Howdy Akira,

Question: with the attempt of figuring out a better way to approach epic magic
i have been sifting through this thread and have basically found two things: use empower spell for more damage and heighten spellfor higher DCs , for they are a balanced way to approach spellcasting at higher levels.

Those would seem to be the quickest and easiest way currently.

Years ago I was working on something (for 4E) provisionally called 'Spell Templates' and basically these would have been a list of scale modifiers and mitigating factors.

...quick rough example...

You would have had the "Town Template" affecting everything in a square mile (lets say that would have required +40 spell levels; so if added to fireball that's a Level 43 spell...and just to be clear I am pulling that +40 out of thin air, I can't remember any of the figures I worked out)

Then you would have had a list of mitigating factors for offsetting the requirements all based on the dimensions: Time (casting time, favoured time); Entropy (self-mutilation); Fate (possible Chaos/Miscasting Effects); Matter (Components...possible sacrifice); Spirit (Quintessence...possible sacrifice); Thought (additional casters...ie. Circle Magic).

So each of the Mitigating Factors could potentially offset a number of levels. Meaning perhaps a group of ten Archmages could combine to fireball a town.

Whereas Orcus might sacrifice thousands of lives on the most unholy day of the year to cast an Animate Dead spell on an entire country.

Obviously there are more metamagic feats available but these make up the two primary damage dealers.
Am i missing anything else major?

I thought I had a bunch of Metamagic feats in Ascension.

Also is there a text/pdf/word/etc document of some sort for epic spells/descriptions/artifacts/epic weapons?

I had loads of stuff planned for the GRIMOIRE book but that all fell by the wayside sadly. :(

Remove ads