• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

immortals handbook

Hi Anabstercorian mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
What tier would Superman be placed on, in your mind? At least, which tier would he most typically fall in to in terms of raw power, if not Divinity?

I think its clear that Superman would be in and around Intermediate God status. He is the closest comparison to Marvels Thor in the DC Universe; although Supermans physical ability scores are perhaps slightly higher.

According to my Thor tribute issue the following are comparative to Thor:

Tyr, Asgardian God of War
Leir, Celtic God of Lightning
The Hulk, Earths strongest man-monster
Pluto, Olympian God of Death
Ulik, Strongest of the Trolls
Horus; Egyptian Warrior God

The following are comparative to Odin:

Kurse
Zeus, Lord of Olympus
The Destroyer
Mangog
Silver Surfer (when he was the Herald of Galactus)
Thanos

(Obviously in the DC Universe the Highfather is akin to Odin and Darkseid is akin to Thanos.)

The following are more powerful than Odin:

Ego, the Living Planet
Ymir, the Frost Giant
Surtur, the Fire Demon
The Midgard Serpent
Galactus

Clay_More

First Post
I can imagine it must be extremely hard to compare the deities, especially since the various myths and folklores use differents means of evaluating the strength of their deities.

I would think that the Viking Mythos Thor might be even stronger than the Marvel equivelant. After all, in Scandinavian Folklore, Thor is said to have lowered the water level of all the oceans of the world by drinking from it, he lifted the Midgard Serpent from the ground (even though it was huge enough to reach around the entire world). He is even said to eat faster than fire itself (for some reason, most scandinavian gods are attributed with either drinking or eating something very fast when they are described.... well, at least it explains why we are as we are).

Since you are a man of mythological interests, will you include any guidelines for transferring real-life deities to the system? Many mythological tales have explanations of great deeds performed by the deities (shooting an arrow this far or that precisely, killing X number of X in X time, drinking or eating X amount of X, wielding a weapon that weighed X tons etc.), could these be used in any constructive way to determine the strength of the individual deity?

Anyways, Im rambling, my drunken and disorderly brain isn't operating on maximum capacity these days :(

Hi Clay_More mate! :)

Clay_More said:
I can imagine it must be extremely hard to compare the deities, especially since the various myths and folklores use differents means of evaluating the strength of their deities.

I think you have to objectively seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Clay_More said:
I would think that the Viking Mythos Thor might be even stronger than the Marvel equivelant.

I really don't like the idea of non-Pantheon Rulers (or co-rulers) being Greater Gods.

Thor would certainly be one of the most powerful Intermediate Gods though, for sure. Likewise so would Hades and Poseidon.

Clay_More said:
After all, in Scandinavian Folklore, Thor is said to have lowered the water level of all the oceans of the world by drinking from it,

Yes, though I always wondered how his bladder was supposed to compress water. He must have been relieving himself while he drank. :p

Clay_More said:
he lifted the Midgard Serpent from the ground (even though it was huge enough to reach around the entire world).

Well, as I recall he lifted part of it. The Midgard Serpent was disguised to look like a giant house cat. As Thor tried to lift it, its body simply bent like a cats, the most he could manage was to lift its paw.

Clay_More said:
He is even said to eat faster than fire itself

Well actually it was Loki who challenged 'Fire' to an eating contest in Utgard-Lokis castle and lost ~ since Fire consumed everything meal, plates and all.

Clay_More said:
(for some reason, most scandinavian gods are attributed with either drinking or eating something very fast when they are described.... well, at least it explains why we are as we are).

:D

Clay_More said:
Since you are a man of mythological interests, will you include any guidelines for transferring real-life deities to the system?

'Real-life' deities you say! :p

Clay_More said:
Many mythological tales have explanations of great deeds performed by the deities (shooting an arrow this far or that precisely,

I think much of this can already be accomplished by epic feats, though I do add a few interesting Divine and Cosmic Gifts along these lines. ;)

Clay_More said:
killing X number of X in X time,

All seems a bit abstract. :confused:

Clay_More said:
drinking or eating X amount of X,

Probably indicative of high Constitution (eating lots) and Dexterity (eating very fast).

Though again there are always ways to do things better or faster.

Clay_More said:
wielding a weapon that weighed X tons etc.),

I do have rules for such weapons. You could even have weapons made from collapsing stars or black holes.

Of course you do need the strength to wield them. ;)

Clay_More said:
could these be used in any constructive way to determine the strength of the individual deity?

Absolutely. Can and are.

Clay_More said:
Anyways, Im rambling, my drunken and disorderly brain isn't operating on maximum capacity these days :(

Try not to get too stressed at college mate.

Hey Paragon mate! :)

Paragon said:
Any new developments?

I think we can more or less go ahead with the first pdf. I'll just be careful with non-SRD epic material.

So if I am being honest I think I can wrap things up in about 2 weeks. But don't heed a word of that until I say its actually finished. You all know what I'm like by now. :eek:

I still have to get v4 (of the CR/EL document) ready over the next day or so. I thought I would have it today, but I had (and have) some unexpected family business to attend to today (and tomorrow) and I had also underestimated how long it would take me to detail every monsters CR...I started last night and I only have the animals/vermin/epic and monsters 'A' finished so far. So only about 400 monsters to go. :rolleyes:

Paragon said:
anything we can do to help?

Just hang in there. :)

I'm sorry for the protracted delay. :(

Impeesa

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
I think we can more or less go ahead with the first pdf.

*faints*

;)

Upper_Krust said:
I'll just be careful with non-SRD epic material.

Can you call your reworked epic feats and stuff like that 'new' material? Or does that not even need to go in the first pdf? Also, if you need to cut stuff now for the sake of compliance, will it go back in the print version (assuming the SRD is properly updated by the time that comes around)?

--Impeesa--

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
So Krust, what are your thoughts on Vajra? I spose its kind of a weapon, but it seems somewhat like an abstract concept sometimes almost. Or maybe I'm crazy, whatever. If it is indeed an item would you have any compulsion to stat it? (vink, vink) :D

Hi Impeesa mate! :)

Impeesa said:

:D

Impeesa said:
Can you call your reworked epic feats and stuff like that 'new' material?

Ever since 3.5 I have been really downsizing the WotC related material in the Immortals Handbook (firstly eliminating all traces of D&Dg, then revising epic magic etc.)...to be honest this is something I should have done months ago...but without the benefit of hindsight... :rolleyes:

So I will try and rework as little epic material as possible.

Impeesa said:
Or does that not even need to go in the first pdf?

There is stuff I would use, but I think I may be able to circumvent most of it without hampering the rules.

Impeesa said:
Also, if you need to cut stuff now for the sake of compliance, will it go back in the print version (assuming the SRD is properly updated by the time that comes around)?

Absolutely.

Hey Paragon mate! :)

Paragon said:
you don't have anything to apologize for. I was just curious.

In some respects I do have to apologise.

I have sort of been dragging my heels; mostly down to the intricacies of v4 getting in the way and my own exacting standards for the IH. I'll set myself a deadline of this Monday fortnight and hopefully I can have everything virtually finished by then. *touches wood*

Paragon said:
good luck!!

I appreciate the support mate! :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads