• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

immortals handbook

Hi Anabstercorian mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
If a character wanted to exchange an entire level of character development for a single Divine Gift, do you think that would be reasonable?

I think it would certainly be balanced (in fact one of the Divine Gifts actually bestows an extra level), as to whether it would be 'reasonable' I think would depend on the circumstances.

Generally I advocate allowing characters to expend five feat slots and perform an esoteric quest to gain one Divine Gift (provided they also meet the prerequisites - which don't involve things like Divine Rank in my book).

Upper_Krust said:
Apologies for the slow reply mate. Dunno how these posts got past me, I really don't. :confused:

Of course, if I can.

Okay so firstly forget that poncy Divine Rank mumbo-jumbo. Hes a Demigod; that means he gets 6 Divine Gifts (roughly equivalent to the Salient Divine Abilities)...or he could trade five of those for one Cosmic Gift.

I am presuming since his Clerics get the Strength Domain he is something of a 'Warrior Priest' himself right?

I tell you what. I'll let you pick the Divine Gifts. You give me six numbers between 1-130; or one Divine Gift and one Cosmic Gift (pick one number between 1-80) and I will tell you what they are. ;)

I'm only going to do this once mind you and I won't be held responsible if you wind up picking some of the more 'meat and potatoes' Divine Gifts like Regenerator or Shapechanger. :p

This character is actually similar to Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, absolute ruler of his people in both secular and divine matters, since they aren`t divided in this culture. He was indeed a mighty warrior once, cleric devoted to deities of Pharonic Pantheon, who was elevated to godhood by Horus-Re 500 years ago. He created a very elaborated society that in his opinion is closest possible to the ideals of Maa`t, but he can`t see that it is also a bit stagnatic and even xenophobic. I actually wanted his clerics to have more Domains, like Nobility, War or even Tyranny for some closer to LE, but according to Deities and Demigods he can posess only 3 without additional Salient Divine Abilities. Is it diffrent in your system?

I would like to choose Divine Gifts 5, 20, 35, 67, 89, 112, but it would be easier for me if you could choose some suitable for such a Deity, he could be descibed as a more LN version of Horus-RE( or Re-Horakhty). Thanks anyway!

Hiya mate! :)

Melkor said:
This character is actually similar to Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, absolute ruler of his people in both secular and divine matters, since they aren`t divided in this culture. He was indeed a mighty warrior once, cleric devoted to deities of Pharonic Pantheon, who was elevated to godhood by Horus-Re 500 years ago. He created a very elaborated society that in his opinion is closest possible to the ideals of Maa`t, but he can`t see that it is also a bit stagnatic and even xenophobic. I actually wanted his clerics to have more Domains, like Nobility, War or even Tyranny for some closer to LE, but according to Deities and Demigods he can posess only 3 without additional Salient Divine Abilities. Is it diffrent in your system?

I allow alignment plus two others. So your character would have the Law Domain and any other two.

Characters with extreme alignments gain 4 Domains to start; others gain 3 and Neutral deities only gain 2. However, the more extreme the alignment the more limited their choice of worshippers.

Melkor said:
I would like to choose Divine Gifts 5, 20, 35, 67, 89, 112, but it would be easier for me if you could choose some suitable for such a Deity, he could be descibed as a more LN version of Horus-RE( or Re-Horakhty). Thanks anyway!

After looking over your choices I agree that that was a bad idea on my part since some of those chosen were unsuitable. Its a lot more difficult going over them than say feats; because they are a lot less specifically targeted towards certain classes.

There is a Cosmic Gift called Authority that might very well be the sort of thing you are after; its a lot like a more powerful version of Rulership.

He could combine that with a Divine Gift called Divine [Effect]* and choose the wrath option which would be like a gaze weapon variant of the Divine Blast.

*You get to choose from one of ten different delivery methods (eg. Blast; Breath; Immolation etc.)

Or he could have the Divine Inheritance gift which allows him to borrow the Divine Gifts of others.

Perfect Body gives you the full +5 inherant bonuses for your physical stats (Con/Dex/Str).

Third Eye lets you gaze into your opponents soul and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Dharma gives you parity with any single ability your opponent possesses.

...I could go on, but I don't like giving things away. :p

Like I said its very difficult to choose Gifts for any one character because they are far more open-ended than feats. Its not like taking a fighter and you have a very limited choice of feats; I estimate the Divine Gifts are about 75%+ universal.

Upper_Krust said:
Hiya mate! :)

I allow alignment plus two others. So your character would have the Law Domain and any other two.

Characters with extreme alignments gain 4 Domains to start; others gain 3 and Neutral deities only gain 2. However, the more extreme the alignment the more limited their choice of worshippers.

After looking over your choices I agree that that was a bad idea on my part since some of those chosen were unsuitable. Its a lot more difficult going over them than say feats; because they are a lot less specifically targeted towards certain classes.

There is a Cosmic Gift called Authority that might very well be the sort of thing you are after; its a lot like a more powerful version of Rulership.

He could combine that with a Divine Gift called Divine [Effect]* and choose the wrath option which would be like a gaze weapon variant of the Divine Blast.

*You get to choose from one of ten different delivery methods (eg. Blast; Breath; Immolation etc.)

Or he could have the Divine Inheritance gift which allows him to borrow the Divine Gifts of others.

Perfect Body gives you the full +5 inherant bonuses for your physical stats (Con/Dex/Str).

Third Eye lets you gaze into your opponents soul and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Dharma gives you parity with any single ability your opponent possesses.

...I could go on, but I don't like giving things away. :p

Like I said its very difficult to choose Gifts for any one character because they are far more open-ended than feats. Its not like taking a fighter and you have a very limited choice of feats; I estimate the Divine Gifts are about 75%+ universal.

So can a Deity get additional Domains, I assume that it is possible through Divine Gifts? I use additional Domains from FRCS and other sources, so most Deities have 4 or 5 Domains.

It seems that Authority and Divine Wrath( Immolation) would be suitable for this character, I will also change his Domains to Law/Nobilty/War and Portfolios would be Rulership and War. I am curious of how will it affect his stats, since he might see action before your masterpiece comes to my desired posession( unless he dies off-screen destroyed by couple of Overmasters).

poilbrun

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
Wouldn't that be "wasting" a divine gift? Except if it is stackable with wishes (and since the bonus is the same, inherant, it shouldn't stack), it looks like a great gift for "low-level" deities, but a waste in long term, since I guess that every deity will eventually be able to have 5 wishes cast on them for every ability. Of course, at the time of D&Dg, WotC showed us a very low-level deity (god of beggar, if I remember correctly). In such case, the divine gift might be useful, even though I still believe it would be a poor choice since it will more or less become obsolete (at which point, I don't know, since 5 wishes per ability score is 150,000 XP, but if I remember correctly, gods will be able to use Worship Points instead of XP in spells).

Anyway, enough rambling. Give us the IH, so that I can look at all the gifts! :D

I wanted to tease you and say "Give us the IH, so that I can see if all the divine gifts are such a waste", but I wasn't sure I would be able to convey sarcasm caused by frustration with a smiley! :p

Hi Melkor mate! :)

Melkor said:
So can a Deity get additional Domains, I assume that it is possible through Divine Gifts? I use additional Domains from FRCS and other sources, so most Deities have 4 or 5 Domains.

Yeah you can get additional Domains (from Divine Gifts) and additional Portfolios (from Cosmic Gifts).

Melkor said:
It seems that Authority and Divine Wrath (Immolation) would be suitable for this character,

Divine Wrath is the gaze weapon version; Divine Immolation would be the death throes version; Divine Blast is the ray attack version etc. ;)

Melkor said:
I will also change his Domains to Law/Nobilty/War and Portfolios would be Rulership and War. I am curious of how will it affect his stats, since he might see action before your masterpiece comes to my desired posession (unless he dies off-screen destroyed by couple of Overmasters).

The benefits of Portfolios are multifaceted but won't necessarily change his 'stats' as such. To be honest the only way to explain it would be to post one of the Portfolios...but I don't really want to do that just yet. Sorry. :eek:

Hi poil brun mate! :)

poilbrun said:
Wouldn't that be "wasting" a divine gift? Except if it is stackable with wishes (and since the bonus is the same, inherant, it shouldn't stack),

It doesn't stack. Its a 'quick fix' for those who don't have liberal access to Wish/Miracle magic.

poilbrun said:
it looks like a great gift for "low-level" deities, but a waste in long term, since I guess that every deity will eventually be able to have 5 wishes cast on them for every ability.

Deities below Demigod status gain Divine Gifts in my system.

So you could even have one of your Disciples take this gift...so you can see the benefits.

poilbrun said:
Of course, at the time of D&Dg, WotC showed us a very low-level deity (god of beggar, if I remember correctly). In such case, the divine gift might be useful, even though I still believe it would be a poor choice since it will more or less become obsolete (at which point, I don't know, since 5 wishes per ability score is 150,000 XP, but if I remember correctly, gods will be able to use Worship Points instead of XP in spells).

Exactly. But would they want to expend Worship Points for this?

Also you hit the nail on the head; when you used the word 'choice'. ;)

poilbrun said:
Anyway, enough rambling. Give us the IH, so that I can look at all the gifts! :D

Soon my friend, soon. :p

poilbrun said:
I wanted to tease you and say "Give us the IH, so that I can see if all the divine gifts are such a waste", but I wasn't sure I would be able to convey sarcasm caused by frustration with a smiley! :p

You guys know you can say what you like and I will take it all in good spirits. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads