In the Service of Cyre

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Dekana, I stand corrected. I missed that.

Alaric, Roll a History check to see what you find out.

I will give you both, and whomever else responds before I'm on tomorrow, feedback on what you find out.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]if you could roll my history check, that's be much appreciated. like I said, I'm on my phone and am having a bit of trouble even coding this message, much less posting a url. thanks![/sblock]

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
[sblock=Alaric] After looking through the library, reading accounts of the war, and histories of the area, you don't find much about local necromancers or undead threats. That said, there are a number of accounts detailing raids and even minor invasions from Karrnath, coming over the river that divides the two lands. Earlier in the war, under king Connos, Cyre even conquered much of the western bank of Karrnath to put an end to those raids. Baron Hoffsted's grandfather played a key role in holding that land. Any undead in this area would almost certainly be Karrnathi in origin. [/sblock]

[sblock=Kraken] The guard looks surprised. "Um...Undead? In the area? Further north there have been raids sighted, and the farms harried, but this keep commands the coast for miles, and, short of full invasion, Karnnath isn't crossing anywhere close to us. Plus, with how close we are to the capitol? It would be suicide."[/sblock]

Alaric is somewhat less worried by the murmurings of undead. Perhaps the locals have been tricked into believing there are such threats about. He turns to Varis, who seems to have confused him for a wizard.

"I haven't been able to find any information regarding the undead. It seems like any problem these people are dealing with are likely products of Karrnathi aggression. I think we can trust the Baron here. Their records indicate that this family has long been devoted to Cyre."

renau1g

First Post
Prince Oargev relaxes visibly at Alaric's comment, trusting his longtime friend, sometime rival and spends some time washing away the dust from the road. He will ensure that he changes into a new set of clothes for his important meeting with the Baron.

He calls Dev to his side for a moment.

[sblock=Dev]
"Dev, perhaps you can locate the reasons for our hosts disappearance? I trust your ability to conduct yourself with the utmost discretion. If, of course, you wish."[/sblock]

yzard

First Post
Finally finding the library, Thom wanders in, book already in hand.

"Greetings! Is *everyone* trying to read up on local lore and legend? Find anything of note?"

[sblock=OOC]
Arcana Check (1d20+12=21)

I first rolled a vague Arcana / Religion check but wasn't sure how that gets handled and think Arcana might be more relevant anyway.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Kraken does not seem convinced by the guard's words.

"If you say so. Well, I am sure nothing alive or dead would be foolish enough to attack a fully guarded castle such as this." Kraken gives the guard a crisp salute before he departs. "Luck with the rest of your watch."

After the brief conversation, Kraken returns to Oargev's side.

"Hello, Thom. We've already figured out a bit of information. There aren't any records of local undead, but the barony does seem to be the victim of fairly consistent Karrnathi aggression. I suspect we'll have to deal with that soon enough."

Alaric has become somewhat serene now that he's helped to discover the potential threat. He seats himself in a reading chair, and with a calm sense of focus, begins drawing up contingency plans for the march to the next barony.

"When will we be leaving here? Tomorrow morning, I hope."

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock=Prince]"Of course, your highness. I was more than a little curious about that as well. The lad who greeted us, by the way, was quite attentive to your answers...I am sure he was committing them to memory for his report to the Baron. That's not surprising. What was a little odd was..." Dev considers his words for a moment. "He struck me a bit like a man who has committed a crime for the first time, who laughs wildly and capers about. He knows that there will be consequences...but for now, he is free of his slavery to the law. Our young squire had a little of that sense of gleeful disobedience to him. Make of that what you will."[/sblock]

After his brief audience with the Prince, Dev decides to head down to where the castle staff has their laundering done. After all, the Prince's clothes were delicate, and the staff might need some instruction on how to treat them. And if a maid's dress or servant's livery turned up missing afterwards, well...such things were not uncommon. They'd have plenty to spare, he was sure.

(OOC - Planning to use Bluff and Thievery to acquire some garments suitable for infiltrating castle staff. Let me know how you want to play that out. :))

Remove ads