• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Increase in trolling?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Maybe this is just pointing at the pink elephant in the room, but...

Is it my imagination, or is there a marked increase in attempts to troll around here? At least in the Miscellaneous Geek Talk forum, (the only one I regularly read). It seems to me that some of the "new guys" from the WotC forums really like to poke at people and argue to get a reaction. So far it doesn't look like anyone much takes the bait, and lately the baiting seems too obvious to trick someone into an argument.

I mean, humorously, I just read a post that referred to Star Wars as "Star Bores" at least 4 times in a one-paragraph post. It made me actually chuckle, the trolling seemed almost desperate to pick a fight with a SW fan.

So,
First: Has anyone else noticed or felt this?

Second: It kind of makes the forum less fun when you see kids in the crowd actively trying to incite a fight. Even if no one takes the bait, it just makes the forum less comfortable as a lounge for friendly discussions when you know some folks seem to be only interested in deliberately aggravating someone else.

But maybe after a few months of finding that folks around here don't enjoy fighting as much, the attempts to troll will cease?

Bullgrit

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I'm noticing it too. And I have been reacting to the stuff they've said, even though I probably shouldn't have. I'm not usually one to go for a baiting attempt, but..

What's the protocol for placing someone on ignore? I've never done it before to anyone. Do I tell the person I'm doing it, or do I just do it and forget about it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think there's any set etiquette to it. I know people have announced additions to their ignore lists and some who haven't. I have noticed, however, that most of the announcements are in the heat of the discussion and came off...huffy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's bad form to announce it. Just add them to the list and quietly go on with the rest of your posting. I have a couple of people on mine.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Agree with [MENTION=31216]Bullgrit[/MENTION] on this one. I really hope that it dies down, because it's an overall negative addition to the site, in my opinion. I love EN World for its civility, and I'd really hate to see that erode out of some sense of "let's seem welcoming to other site's users."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Agree with [MENTION=31216]Bullgrit[/MENTION] on this one. I really hope that it dies down, because it's an overall negative addition to the site, in my opinion. I love EN World for its civility, and I'd really hate to see that erode out of some sense of "let's seem welcoming to other site's users."

What's the alternative? Closing down the ability to gain new members? I figure it's a clash of cultures and we're seeing it particularly because a substantial group with a different posting culture migrated in all at once. Give the process time and things will calm down.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is a case where "don't feed the trolls" and "use the ignore list" will serve you well. If nobody takes the bait, they'll get bored with the practice.

Remove ads