• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Increase in trolling?

While I've noticed this, have reported at least once, and am bothered by it, I don't think ignore listing is the sole solution. Yeah, that stops me being bothered, but for everyone else, the behavior persists, and I think it drags the boards down -- it's like the "broken windows" rationale for neighborhood crime, except this time it is negative posting behavior.

Thorough -- and consistent, to avoid a perception of persecution -- moderation I think is key. That seems to be occurring (though I admit a few threads seem to have gone a bit further than I'd have expected before being locked).

EN World should be welcome and opening ... provided the newcomers adapt to the existing norms. Posting environment here is what keeps me coming back for more than a decade.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could always give them a banner- "OTTers"- like exist for things like the various editions of D&D. A warning and welcome, all in one.

Of course, the Hive would want one too! :lol:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I have noticed is that traffic has been increasing steadily all year (recovering after the hack) and along with it comes a correlating increase in bans. I generally view it as a last resort, but the number of people recently who've left me with no alternative (particularly aggressive attacks on me or Umbran [not that they're worse than others, but they're assured of being seen], political rants, personal insults) has increased (plus the ones who use Twitter to do so). It's not up to 2006-ish levels where one person a week would just go rabid and start attacking indiscriminately, but it's on the up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thorough -- and consistent, to avoid a perception of persecution -- moderation I think is key.

Oh, the mods will be accused of bias and persecution no matter how fair we are. The person on the receiving end of moderation is generally angry, and will feel put upon no matter what we do - remember that they felt they were right to post that way to begin with, or they wouldn't have posted, so any action we take is going to be seen as undeserved.

There are the occasional gems, who, upon getting notice from us, realize the problem and acknowledge whatever portion of it was theirs. These are worth their weight in gold :)

That seems to be occurring (though I admit a few threads seem to have gone a bit further than I'd have expected before being locked).

We try. The process of shaking out those who cannot or will not adjust takes a while. We really want to be sure that folks who have cool things to say stick around, and that means giving the others time to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are not going to adapt.

And, honestly, it is okay if EN World adapts a bit to newcomers, as well. But that takes time, too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, the mods will be accused of bias and persecution no matter how fair we are. The person on the receiving end of moderation is generally angry, and will feel put upon no matter what we do - remember that they felt they were right to post that way to begin with, or they wouldn't have posted, so any action we take is going to be seen as undeserved.

Everyone in prison is innocent.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I'm more convinced with every thread and post that there is intentional trolling at play. You mods, (especially Umbran and Morrus), have my sympathy and moral support. I'm avoiding responding to the trolling with my support for ENWorld moderation because I know that only makes your jobs harder and encourages the trolls to continue.

I've added four people to my ignore list. Those four are prolific posters, but they just are not interested in being nice members of the community. I'm sad that y'all have to actually read and deal with the crap.

Bullgrit

Remove ads