• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infinite damage at level 1

Samir

Explorer
... So we're pretty much settled on this, then? Its a free action with a trigger, so its only going to happen to each creature once
It's a free action with no trigger ("As a free action, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares" has no trigger), thus it can be done as many times as necessary. Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue, because the zone is only 1 square big, so (under normal use) at most you can teleport one creature per turn--unless you're teleporting that creature up, in which case it lands in the same square, taking falling damage and letting you do it to him again.

Nifelhein

First Post
Personal fix? Movement inside one's turn. The poor creature starts his round 3 squares above ground, THEN he falls, that means he does not start his turn in the square but rather 3 squares above it, you can pull him 1 square but that is about it.

Problem solved.

As for the number of said free actions one can take, I would give the player 1 attempt per target in said condition, if the guy saves he immeditaly resumes his turn, don't care how many times you can do it, the amoutn of time you have for it is not undefined and as large as you want it to be.

jester_gl

First Post
Since the teleportation errata has been mentioned multiple time already, yes we are aware of it. That particular power actually ignore that minor setback.

When you get teleported, you get to make a save. If you succeed on the save you don't move. But with this power, the ardent can just use another free action to teleport you again, ad nauseum until it works.

The fact that this power can teleport you UP is just the sugar-coating on a cake made of bacon.

Edit: I think I will simply report this power to wizards and hope they do something about it. This thread was to find a way by RAW to neuter it, but we are threading in the realm of houseruling here. Good luck and be careful not to fall an infinite time to your death in the same 6 seconds.

Last edited:

Nifelhein

First Post
So technically a creature that could never fail a save against being teleported would be able to stop time in the campaign world because the ardent would attempt to teleport it ad nauseum.

TIME WARP!

keterys

First Post
Making the free action contingent on a creature starting its turn looks like it'd make sense thematically and balancically, so I'm willing to believe it's RAI and a good way to run the power.

Another option is to just not allow vertical teleports, using the same rules for teleports as forced movement. That solves a number of other problematic powers at the same time.

Yet another option is to just use the existing rules for restricting free actions which already exist. Once per creature sounds about right.

Gunpowder

First Post
*Looks at 4e forum and sees claim about infinite damage at lvl 1*
*clicks on it just to see what tortured reading of rules is required to pull off the exploit*

Good job OP not only does your "exploit" require you to stretch RAW thinner than carbon nanotubes but also to out right ignore parts of it, (the whole "DM limits number of available free actions") It also ignores the role of the DM, you know, the guy who is trying to host the game.

The DM is not a computer. It is impossible to exploit him via rules. In a video game if you discover that you can cancel out of a move half way to gain an unblockable hit, the game can't tell that you are cheating. other people will, and then you won't have anyone to play with, assuming this is a multi-player game, in single player have at it, the only one you're hurting is yourself. The game cant tell you no, the DM can though.

And no this is not arguing "Nothing is broken because the DM can houserule it" This is arguing "This loop will ever never see table play because either the DM will smack it down (and possiblely you) or if you keep at it you will not have a table to play at."And if it never sees table play it doesn't exist.

So I don't think WOTC should waste time errata this. I would rather have them be working on something productive.

Truename

First Post
Making the free action contingent on a creature starting its turn looks like it'd make sense thematically and balancically, so I'm willing to believe it's RAI and a good way to run the power.

Another option is to just not allow vertical teleports, using the same rules for teleports as forced movement. That solves a number of other problematic powers at the same time.

Yet another option is to just use the existing rules for restricting free actions which already exist. Once per creature sounds about right.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned turning it into an opportunity action. It's a houserule, but seems like RAI.

Since the zone is only one square (correct?) then teleporting vertically would block the zone from being used on other creatures, which would actually put a pretty high opportunity cost on the 45% chance of 1d10 damage a vertical teleport gives you.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned turning it into an opportunity action. It's a houserule, but seems like RAI.

Since the zone is only one square (correct?) then teleporting vertically would block the zone from being used on other creatures, which would actually put a pretty high opportunity cost on the 45% chance of 1d10 damage a vertical teleport gives you.

You beat me to it man. I was just working my way down the thread to see if anyone had thought of this solution yet, lol.

An OA is really perfect. It can be done once per enemy turn and on top of that if the ardent does the 'teleport up' or 'teleport off convenient cliff' they burn their OA for that turn for nothing. Not a huge expenditure but it could be inconvenient.

Gotta hand it to OP, that's the first legitimate (if trivial) infinite damage at level 1 I've ever seen someone come up with ;).

Gunpowder

First Post
You beat me to it man. I was just working my way down the thread to see if anyone had thought of this solution yet, lol.

An OA is really perfect. It can be done once per enemy turn and on top of that if the ardent does the 'teleport up' or 'teleport off convenient cliff' they burn their OA for that turn for nothing. Not a huge expenditure but it could be inconvenient.

Gotta hand it to OP, that's the first legitimate (if trivial) infinite damage at level 1 I've ever seen someone come up with ;).

Except it breaks the rules on page 267
Free action: free actions take almost no time or effort. you can take as many free actions as want durign your turn or another combatant's turn. The DM can restrict the number of free actions in a turn.

Remove ads