• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year boy lose's his inheritance

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Since I'm hoping that other GM's will use my idea I decided to not choose who made the law change, rather I'd let The GM decide
The "lost/will not get inheritance, must adventure" is a rather old idea. It's pretty much why the noble background exists in the first place (as most nobles don't need to adventure, they have people for that!).

Is inspiring other GMs the goal of these threads? Because while this is a very laudable goal, perhaps the format of said threads is not the best for that purpose?

I will mention that they choose to change the UK succession law at such at time that it would not actually have any effect on the succession for anyone currently alive.

One reason for doing this is heirs are generally prepared for the succession from a young age. No one cares how angry the person is*, but that's 15 years of training down the drain, and you end up with someone who is wholly unprepared for the role succeeding. Which might mean they have dangerously original ideas!

*but it would be wise to seal them in an iron mask and imprison them on a remote island, just in case.

Aside form the recent UK change, the usual reason for changing succession rules is to specifically delegitimise someone who is unpopular or clearly unsuited for the role.

So, the decision to change the rules at this time implies that the disinherited 15 year old is a deranged sociopath.

Ergo, the answer to the original question is "angry enough to unleash and army of demons to destroy the world".

Olrox17

Hero
This seems to be more of a Crusader Kings topic than a D&D one, so I’ll answer in Crusader Kings terms!
Everyone is going to be pissed at the succession law changing, especially those who stand to directly lose something (the former heir, obviously, but also, for example, the family of his betrothed). Those who’ll stand to gain for this change will of course be elated, but they’ll be a minority.

If the ruler who changed the succession law dies prematurely, we’re looking at a sure fire succession crisis and possibly a civil war.

delericho

Legend
no so much the 15 year old as the other powerbrokers in the Court/government. For instance does the Church approve of the chnge, are there any old traditionlist who are against the idea of a female monarch? Are any of those opposed to the change willing and influential enough to stage a coup?
Yeah, all of this makes for a potentially very interesting situation - suddenly you have a whole web of powerful people around the prince who have lost influence and a whole lot of people scrabbling to get into position to influence the new heir. GRRM's GoT prequels have a fair number of iterations of those concepts, that might be worth checking out.

Of course, it's quite possible that it's not that the prince's supporters are powerful enough to stage a coup, but rather that the elder princess's supporters have already staged one.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I've had a very plausible idea for Dnd and in case your wondering why I haven't listed the edition of Dnd I'll be using it in its because the intent is that with a few modifications the idea could be used in any edition of Dnd. What do you think?

A countries inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year that's the youngest of 3 children that because his older siblings were girls once stood to inherit the families lands and titles has now lost his inheritance

How angry would the 15 year old be that changes to his homelands inheritances laws have resulted in him going from inheriting everything his family owns to him inheriting nothing?
Why would he be any more or less angry than the older girls/women who the original law had inheriting nothing?

Let's say the original law is still in force. A 15 year old inherits everything, and their older - let's say 21 and 30 year old - sisters inherit nothing. The 15 year old being still naive is tricked into losing everything on some scam. If only those older siblings had inherited.

I think it can be an interesting situation - a change of law could well be something that disrupts norms and forces reassessments - but the lense of "how angry would the 15 year old [boy] be" is suspect. More angry might be the neafrious uncle, who was intent on scamming the inheritance off the witless youngster. Perhaps the caring older sisters are the best possible people to protect their wealth and ensure the boy's well-being. His tantrums notwithstanding.

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
I've had a very plausible idea for Dnd and in case your wondering why I haven't listed the edition of Dnd I'll be using it in its because the intent is that with a few modifications the idea could be used in any edition of Dnd. What do you think?

A countries inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year that's the youngest of 3 children that because his older siblings were girls once stood to inherit the families lands and titles has now lost his inheritance

How angry would the 15 year old be that changes to his homelands inheritances laws have resulted in him going from inheriting everything his family owns to him inheriting nothing?
completly depends on the personality of the character. If the 15 year old wanted to adventure and not be bothered with all the day to day BS of running the family businesses etc, he may be happy about it. Or he could plot to kill his sisters so he inherits, or find a girl his age who will inherit more and marry her etc etc.

Historically - at least through the 16th century - a change in a monarch's preferred successor (for whatever reason) didn't mean an awful lot upon the monarch's death if the disinherited child:

1) Was popular
2) Had the support of other nobles
3) Had the support of the church
4) Had an army

Doing mercenary work in order to become sufficiently badass, build a reputation, and raise enough cash to hire an army is a time-honored way of claiming your inheritance.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
I will mention that they choose to change the UK succession law at such at time that it would not actually have any effect on the succession for anyone currently alive.

Sweden changed their rules for the succession to the throne in 1980. Thus we currently have Crown Princess Victoria instead of Crown Prince Carl-Philip.. But they did it while he was very young, and long gone are the day when the monarch actually had any power.

Now, had this been a typical D&D-setting, well then things might have been different. Wars have been started for less.

Remove ads