Interest Check, GURPS WWII

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Who would be interested in a GURPS World War Two campaign? I'm not sure I'm going to run it yet, but I just wanted to see if there was any interest out there.

Also, if you did want to play it, would you prefer ETO or PTO?

Walking Dad

First Post
Does it have to be GURPS...

Which edition would it be?

PTO feels less used up as a setting, but I would also like to play a Jewish German, retuning home with some friends (ETO) ... (always good to have someone who speaks the enemies language without accent... may be he can do some infiltration.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm swamped with games right now as it is, but I am definitely interested in lurking. I'm glad to see different systems tried here and I do like what GURPS tries to do with customization.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
It would either be GURPS Third Edition or D6, as those are the only two systems I have that could work for this setting.

I will also try to avoid having the game get too political, but my stance on tht stuff is that it happened 60+ years ago and they were completely different people running the places at the time, so for example if I have German or Japanese soldiers commit a war crime or something, I'm not saying that modern Germans or Japanese would do that, heck, even the allies committed war crimes, look at the russians v. germans or americans v. japanese.

Anyway, that's that, it'll be a while before I can do the game anyway, but good to see that there is interest!

wolfattack

First Post
I would be definitely interested in this game.what is your history for it?or you don't have it yet? and what is ETO and PTO?i don't know what it means.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I'm not sure when the game will start or anything

ETO=European Theater of Operations MTO/Mediterranean... is also a part of this

PTO=Pacific Theater of Operations

For the game I'll probably be running some people who joined the army or marines after Pearl Harbon on Dec. 7. 1941, so it would probably start in '42 or '43 for PTO (just in time for guadalcanal :devil:) or I would probably have the players hit the beach at Normandy for D-Day (June 6 1944) another alternative would be if the characters were replacements in Italy, which could be interesting to roleplay.

wolfattack

First Post
Oh,then it means that.understood. i liked both of your ideas,but i would choose the ETO,the Replacements in Italy idea,maybe we could help conquer Monte Cassino in 1944. i say this because my country fought in Italy,and i would like to play one of those soldiers from FEB (Força Expedicionária Brasileira) wich mean Brazilian Expeditionary Force.

url

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
It would either be GURPS Third Edition or D6, as those are the only two systems I have that could work for this setting.
In that case I would favor D6. It is still free, right?
GURPS always feels to complicated to me, is roll-below and not that good to bear all the complications, epically in character design.

BTW, if you keep it low level and low massive damage threshold, d20 modern could do it, or the mini-WW2 game that was in Polyhedron/Dungeon.

Savage Worlds has it's own (a bit less 'realistic') WW2 line.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Combat resolution is overly complicated in GURPS, but the character creation is very sweet, especially with fun disadvantages and quirks. Odious personal habit, weirdness magnet, and bad luck are some of my favorites. There is another one where you can have a mental disorder, such as a belief that squirrels are secret agents for the Illuminati. If you use your points earned in game to buy off your disadvantage, the GM has fiat on how it happens. Perhaps you seek shock therapy with overexposure to squirrels. Or maybe you find undeniable proof that the squirrels were spies in a grand conspiracy and the world realizes you were the sane one. :)

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
In that case I would favor D6. It is still free, right?
GURPS always feels to complicated to me, is roll-below and not that good to bear all the complications, epically in character design.

We could change the GURPS rules a little bit or something, like say that if you have skill 14, that you would have to roll above a 6 or something, so it would keep the same probability, or we could also convert some of the GURPS disadvantages to D6, so a 5 point disadvantage would be 1D for the D6 system.

BTW, if you keep it low level and low massive damage threshold, d20 modern could do it, or the mini-WW2 game that was in Polyhedron/Dungeon.

Savage Worlds has it's own (a bit less 'realistic') WW2 line.

I don't have any of those systems :( (with the exception that D20 modern has a SRD)

Combat resolution is overly complicated in GURPS, but the character creation is very sweet, especially with fun disadvantages and quirks. Odious personal habit, weirdness magnet, and bad luck are some of my favorites. There is another one where you can have a mental disorder, such as a belief that squirrels are secret agents for the Illuminati. If you use your points earned in game to buy off your disadvantage, the GM has fiat on how it happens. Perhaps you seek shock therapy with overexposure to squirrels. Or maybe you find undeniable proof that the squirrels were spies in a grand conspiracy and the world realizes you were the sane one.

I also like compulsive vowing ex: I swear on my honor as a knight of the round table that I WILL buy you a loaf of bread at the market today!

Remove ads