D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

Matthan

Explorer
Forgive me if I missed it but are we using feats? If so I would have 3 correct?

Yes, I'll allow feats. In 5E, feats are a choice whenever you get an Ability Score Improvement (ASI). You can either take the ASI (+2 to one stat or +1 to two stats) or take a feat that you qualify for. You do not get both. As a pure level 12 fighter, you have four ASIs (lvl. 4, 6, 8, 12) to determine what you want to do with.

Trogdor1992

First Post
Yes, I'll allow feats. In 5E, feats are a choice whenever you get an Ability Score Improvement (ASI). You can either take the ASI (+2 to one stat or +1 to two stats) or take a feat that you qualify for. You do not get both. As a pure level 12 fighter, you have four ASIs (lvl. 4, 6, 8, 12) to determine what you want to do with.
Okay I'll probably take two feats and two ASIs then. Thank you for letting me know, I'm still a bit new at this.

Matthan

Explorer
Okay I'll probably take two feats and two ASIs then. Thank you for letting me know, I'm still a bit new at this.

It's cool. Making characters is a great way of figuring out the ins and outs of the system. When you're looking at Eldritch Knight, notice that you are restricted in your spell schools. You may want to consider looking up some of the class guides floating around to help you narrow down spell choices. I found the class guides really helpful in teaching me the ins and outs of how this edition worked.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Pinching the format from River Song, thanks! :)

Name: Ursus Spelaeus
Class: Fighter 4/Barbarian 8
Alignment: LN
Patron God: Tyr in the aspect of Justice
HP: 120
Hit dice: 4d10/8d12
Passive Perception: 15
Passive investigation: 9
AC: 17/18 (Half Plate+Dex/Dual Wielder)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40'

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 225
Hair: Brown, Eyes: Hazel, Skin: Tanned

Saving Throws:
* Str 9
Dex 2
* Con 7
Int -1
Wis +1
Cha 0

Base Stats
Strength: 20 (+5) Dexterity: 14 (+2) Constitution: 16 (+3) Intelligence: 8 (-1) Wisdom: 12 (+1) Charisma: 10 (+0)

Skills
Acrobatics +2
Animal Handling +1
Arcana -1
*Athletics +9
Deception 0
History -1
Insight +1
*Intimidation +4
Investigation -1
Medicine +1
Nature -1
*Perception +5
*Performance +4
Persuasion +0
Religion -1
Slight of Hand +2
Stealth +2
*Survival +5

* = proficiency

Combat
Init: +0
Melee: Warhammer+3 To hit +12 (1d8+8/Bludgeoning)
Flametongue To hit +9 (1d8+5/Slashing), does 2d6 fire damage and 40 ft light
Ranged: Javelin To hit +9 (1d6+5/Piercing)

RACE: Human

• +1 Str, +1 Con
  • Sixe: Medium
  • Speed: 30ft
  • Languages: Common, Orc

Background: Outlander

• Feature: Wanderer
  • Origin: Tribal Marauder
  • Skills: Athletics, Survival
  • Tools: Pan Flute
  • Languages: Goblin

Class 1: Fighter

• Tools: None
  • Saves: Str, Con
  • Skills: Intimidation, Perception
  • Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting
  • Second Wind (1d10+4) SR/LR
  • Action Surge SR/LR
  • Martial Archetype: Champion
  • Feature: Improved Critical (19-20)

Class
2: Barbarian

• Rage: 4 Times per day (bonus action to start and end)
    • Adv on Str checks and saves
    • +2 damage roll
    • resistance to B/P/S damage
  • Unarmoured Defence: AC 15
  • Reckless Attack: Can get adv on attack rolls
  • Danger Sense: Adv on dex saves against effects you can see
  • Primal Path: Totem Warrior
  • Feature: Spirit Seeker
    • Cast Speak with Animals and Beast Sense as rituals
  • Totem Spirit: Bear
    • While Raging, gain resistance to all damage except psychic
  • Extra Attack
  • Fast Movement
  • Aspect of the Beast: Bear
    • Carrying capacity double, adv on str checks to push,pull,lift or break objects.
  • Feral Instincts: Gain Adv on init. Can act normally on surprise if you enter rage first

Feats:
Human - Dual Wielder
Fighter 4 - ASI +2 Str
Barb 4 - ASI +2 Str
Barab 8 - ASI +2 Con

EQUIPMENT ()

Half Plate
a belt pouch
explorer’s pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
Common clothes, Clothes, traveler’s,
4 Javelins
Silvered Longsword
dagger
antitoxin x2
Longsword Flametongue (ATT)
Warhammer +3
Winged Boots (ATT)
Ring of Free Action (ATT)
Potion of Heroism
Potion of Greater Healing 4d4+4
Potion of Greater Healing 4d4+4

Background: Outlander – Tribal Marauder

• Personailty: I place no stock in wealthy or well mannered folk. Money and manners wont save you from a hungry owlbear
  • Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle.
  • Bond: I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
  • Flaw: I am too enamoured of ale, wine and other intoxicants.

Story:
The tribe of the Cave Bear to which Ursus belonged, was wiped out by slavers looking for fresh meat for the arenas. Young Ursus was one of many children taken and trained in the brutal arts of gladitorial combat. Even though he learnt the martial skills he still clove to his tribal spirits and prayed for the day he could make his escape.

The day came six years after his capture, Ursus and three other gladiators made a run for it. Only Ursus managed to get away. Returning to his tribal lands he found the clan had been rebuilt and found welcome. He through himself back into his barbarian roots with a passion and spent a further seven years living the life of his ancestors.

But his lust for glory had been awakened and the thrill of the hunt was not enough, he left his people seeking adventure and glory.

I still need to look into the magic items.

enworld stuff: GMing one game, applied here and in one other game.

edit: added magic items

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
If I may also put forth a character, Wizard (Evoker) 12th

[sblock="Ignis"]

Name: Ignis
Race Fire Genasi
Class Wizard (Evoker)
lvl 12 Alignment: CG
[sblock="Appearance"] Ignis.jpg
[/sblock]

Languages: Common, Primordial, Draconic (background), Elvish (Background)

[sblock="Stat buy breakdown/ASI"]Str 10(~2pts), Dex 14 (14 ~7 pts) Con 16(14~7pts, +2 racial,+2 ASI) Int 20 ( 15 ~9pt, +1 racial, +4ASI) Wis 10(~2pts) Cha 8

ASI= 4th level +2 Int, 8th Level, +2 Con, 12th Level +2 Int[/sblock]
Str 10, Dex14 +2, Con 18 +4,Int 20 +5, Wis 10, Cha 8 -1

Speed: 30 Size: Medium
HP: 98/98 {HD[12 d6] (50)+48}
[sblock= AC: 19] Elven chain(Chain Shirt+1)=14+(Staff of power+2, Dex+2, Cloak of protection +1)=19ttl Note: Elven Chain grants medium armor proficiency[/sblock]

Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Proficiency Bonus= +4/+7* (+2 to saves from Staff of Power, +1 from Cloak of Protection)
Spellcasting: Spell Attack Modifier= +11* Spell Save DC= 17 *+2 from Staff of Power
[sblock="Combat"]
WeaponAttDmgModtype
Staff of power(+2)
Staff of pwr 2hd
Dagger
lt Crossbow(20)
+6
+6
+6
+6
1d6
1d8
1d4
1d8
+2
+2
+2
+2
Bludgeoning
Bludgeoning
Piercing
Piercing
versatile
versatile
finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60)
ranged (80/320), loading, two-handed
[/sblock]
[sblock="Skills"]
Proficiencies: Investigation, Insight, Arcana(BG), History(BG)
~BG = from Background

Skill Check Modifiers:
-Proficient Proficency Bonus Stat Bonus Total Mod Passive Check
Acrobatics(Dex)
Animal_Handling(Wis)
-Arcana(Int)
Athletics(Str)
Deception(Cha)
-History(Int)
-Insight(Wis)
Intimidation(Cha)
-Investigation(Int)
Medicine(Wis)
Nature(Int)
Perception(Wis)
Performance(Cha)
Persuasion(Cha)
Religion(Int)
Sleight-of-Hand(Dex)
Stealth(Dex)
Survival(Wis)
+0
+0
+4
+0
+0
+4
+4
+0
+4
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0
+2
+4
+0
+4
+0
+4
+4
+0
+4
+2
+2
+2
+0
+8
+0
+8
+4
+8
+0
+4
+0
+4
+2
+2
+0

[sblock="Racial Traits"]
Racial ASI, +2 Con, +1 Int
Darkvision, 60'
Fire Resistance, You have resistance to fire damage
Reach to the Blaze, You know the Produce Flame cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Burning Hands spell once with this trait as a 1st-level spell, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells
Languages, You can speak read and write, Common, and one Primordial
[/sblock]

[sblock="Class Traits"]
Ritual Casting, You can cast any wizard spell you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.
[sblock="Arcane Recovery"]You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.[/sblock]
[sblock="Sculpt Spells"] Beginning at 2nd level, you can create pockets of relative safety within the effects of your evocation spells. When you cast an evocation spell that affects other creatures that you can see, you can choose a number of them equal to 1 + the spell’s level. The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.[/sblock]
[sblock="Potent Cantrip"] Starting at 6th level, your damaging cantrips affect even creatures that avoid the brunt of the effect. When a creature succeeds on a saving throw against your cantrip, the creature takes half the cantrip’s damage (if any) but suffers no additional effect from the cantrip.[/sblock]
Empowered Evocation, Beginning at 10th level, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of any wizard evocation spell you cast.

[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Spells gained during leveling]
Spells GainedScribed bonusTotal known
1st level =(6) 1st
2nd level=(2) 1st
3rd level=(2) 2nd
4th level=(2) 2nd
5th level=(2) 3rd
6th level=(2) 3rd
7th level=(2) 4th
8th level=(2) 4th
9th level=(2) 5th
10th level=(2) 5th
11th level=(2) 6th
12th level=(2) 6th
(6) 1st
(5) 2nd
(4) 3rd
(3) 4th
(2) 5th
(1) 6th
(14) 1st
(9) 2nd
(8) 3rd
(7) 4th
(6) 5th
(5) 6th
[/sblock]
Code:
[U][B]SPELLS[/B][/U]
Total Spells that can be prepared (Level =12, Int=+5)=17
(number of Spells in book) ~Denotes Spells Prepared
[TABLE="width: 500"][TR][TD][U]Spells in Ring:
[/U][I](holds 5 spell levels)[/I][/TD][TD]Cantrips (6 known)[/TD][TD]1st level (14)
Slots:4[/TD][TD]2nd level(9)
Slots:3[/TD][TD]3rd Level(8)
Slots:3[/TD][TD]4th Level(7)
Slots:3[/TD][TD]5th Level (6)
Slots:2[/TD][TD]6th Level (5)
Slots:1[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Bigby's Hand(5)[/TD][TD]Blade Ward
Create Bonfire
Fire Bolt
+Produce Flame ( racial)1/Lrest
Shocking Grasp
True Strike[/TD][TD]~Absorb Elements
Alarm(ritual)
+Burning Hands ( racial)1/Lrest
Comprehend Languages(ritual)
~Chromatic Orb
Detect Magic ( ritual)
Earth Tremor
Grease
Identify(ritual)
~Magic Missile
~Shield
Thunderwave
Tenser's Floating Disc (ritual)
Unseen Servant ( ritual)
Witchbolt[/TD][TD]Continual Flame
Flaming Sphere
Knock
Invisibilty
~Mirror Image
~Misty Step
~Scorching Ray
Shatter
~Web[/TD][TD]~Counterspell
~Dispel Magic
Fireball
Haste
Leomund's Tiny Hut(ritual)
~Melf's Minute Meteors
~Protection From Energy
Wall of Sand[/TD][TD]Elemental Bane
~Fire Shield
~Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Rary's Telepathic Bond (ritual)
Phantasmal Killer
Stoneskin
Wall of Fire[/TD][TD]Bigby's Hand
~Conjure Elemental
Hold Monster
Immolation
Telekinesis
~Wall of Force[/TD][TD]Contingency*
Disintegrate
Globe of invulneralbility
~Investiture of Flame
Sunbeam[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
[sblock=*Contingency] Contingency will be cast the day before entering the great wyrms den, set to cast Misty Step on Ignis should any Dragon move to attack him[/sblock]
[sblock="Inventory"]
Equipment:
[sblock=Staff of Power]This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. While holding it, you gain a +2 bonus to Armor Class saving throws, and spell attack rolls. The staff has 20 charges for the following properties. The staff regains 2d8 + 4 expended charges daily at dawn.
If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the staff retains its +2 bonus to attack and damage roll but loses all other properties. On a 20, the staff regain 1d8 + 2 charges.
Power Strike. When you hit with a melee attack using the staff, you can expend 1 charge to deal an extra 1d6 force damage to the target.
Spells. While holding this staff, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC and spell attack bonus: cone of cold (5 charges), fireball (5th-level version, 5 charges), globe of invulnerability (6 charges), hold monster (5 charges), levitate (2 charges). lightning bolt (5th-level version, 5 charges), magic missile (1 charge), ray of enfeeblement (1 charge), or wall of force (5 charges).Retributive Strike. You can use an action to break the staff over your knee or against a solid surface, performing a retributive strike. The staff is destroyed and releases its remaining magic in an explosion that expands to fill a 30-foot-radius sphere centered on it. You have a 50 percent chance to instantly travel to a random plane of existence, avoiding the explosion. If you fail to avoid the effect, you take force damage equal to 16 x the number of charge in the staff. Every other creature in the area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save. a creature rake an amount of damage based on how far away it is from the point of origin, as shown in the following table. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage.[/sblock]
Elven Chain
Cloak Of Protection
Ring of Spell Storing
[sblock=Necklace of Fireballs with 7 beads] This necklace has 7 beads hanging from it. You can use an action to detach a bead and throw it up to 6 feet away. When it reaches the end of its trajectory, the bead detonates as a 3rd-level fireball spell (save DC 15 You can hurl multiple beads, or even the whole necklace, as one action. When you do so, increase the level of the fireball by 1 for each bead beyond the first[/sblock]
[sblock=Elemental Gem(red)]This gem contains a mote of elemental (fire) energy. When you use an action to break the gem, an elemental is summoned as if you had cast the conjure elemental spell, and the gem's magic is lost. The type of gem determines the elemental summoned by the spell- Red Corundum= Fire Elemental[/sblock]
[sblock=Keoghtom's Ointment]This glass jar, 3 inches in diameter, contains 3 doses of a thick mixture that smells faintly of aloe. The jar and its contents weigh 1/2 pound. As an action, one dose of the ointment can be swallowed or applied to the skin. The creature that receives it regains 2d8 + 2 hit points, ceases to be poisoned, and is cured of any disease.[/sblock]
Dagger
Hand crossbow, Quiver, 20 bolts, (1d6, Piercing, light,loading, range 30/120)
bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, belt/2 pouches, haversack
a statuette of myselfself carved from ivory and decorated with gems worth 1,500 gp (contingency)
Component Pouch (3/spells)
Arcane Focus - TBD(<<Staff of power?)
Ornate Spellbook with brass binding and clasp

[/sblock]

[sblock="Background"]
Sage​

Not one for formalities, Ignis, though of goodly nature, tends to burn every bridge he crosses, hopefully after helping any allies over first. It's get the job done, all business. He does not believe in the passive approach. He's fueled by knowing his power helps to cleanse the world of darkness.
Made of fiery stuff, inside and out, caring not for the trivialities of day to day, nor holding on to the past, his time is of the essence, and his hunger for knowledge arcane, specifically pyromancy, spurns his inner thoughts. The flames of his existence fanned with the rumors on the wind of a great wyrm, and where there is a great wyrm, there are secrets waiting to be liberated unto the light of day. Flame on!

Feature: Researcher
When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature.

Background Traits:
I use polysyllabic words that convey the impression of great erudition.I’m convinced that people are always trying to steal my secrets. I believe nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. My life’s work is a series of tomes related to pyromancy. Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy..
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Magic Item choices]

Tier One Magical Item Choice: You may select one nonconsumable magical item that directly impacts your battle capability of Very Rare or less rarity.- Staff of Power

Tier Two Magical Item Choice: You may select two nonconsumable magical items that directly impact your battle capability of Rare or less rarity. -Ring of Spell storing, Elven Chain

Tier Three Magical Item Choice: You may select one magical item of your choice of Uncommon or less rarity.- Cloak of Protection

Tier Four Magical Item Choice: You may select one consumable magical item of your choice of Rare or less rarity.-Necklace of Fireballs with 7 Beads

Tier Five Magical Item Choice: You may select two consumable magical items of your choice of Uncommon or less rarity.- Elemental Gem (red), Keoghtom's Ointment, (3 doses)
[/sblock]

ENworld PbP info: currently playing in 3 games
:)

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
All finished, Background short to the point, seeing as only a one shot
(I also ran out of flame references :p )

item charges:
Necklace of Fireballs has [roll0] Beads
Keoghtom's Ointment has [roll1] Doses

I enjoyed making this guy, I might use him as a bad guy and have my players come up against him soon ( they are level 6-7 in my 5e Homebrew)

Iope, CG Water Genasi Cleric (Trickery) 12

4zxiwz.jpg

[sblock=Stats]
Code:
Name:       Thelxiope  “Iope”
Class:      Cleric (Trickery) 12
Race:       Water Genasi
Background: Lover (custom)

Size:       Medium (5'10", 140 lb)
Alignment:  Chaotic Good
Deity:      Aphrodite

STR: 8 (-1)              HP: 63 (12d8)
DEX: 17 (+3)             AC: 18 (Breastplate, animated shield)
CON: 10 (+0)
INT: 10 (+0)             Speed:   30
WIS: 17 (+3) Save: +7    Init:    +3
CHA: 17 (+3) Save: +7    Passive Perception: 13

27 point buy expenditure:  Str 8 (0) / Dex 15 (9) / Con 8 (0) / Int 10 (2) / Wis 14 (7) / Cha 15 (9)
Water genasi:  +2 Con, +1 Wis
ASI:  4th level (+2 Cha) / 8th level (+2 Dex) / 12th level (+2 Wis)

Skills:                  Abilities:
Acrobatics         +3    Spellcasting
Animal Handling    +3    Divine Domain (Trickery) / Channel Divinity (2/rest)
Arcana             +0    Blessing of the Trickster (PHB 63)
Athletics          -1    Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity (PHB 63)
Deception          +3    Channel Divinity: Turn Undead (PHB 59)
History            +0    Channel Divinity: Cloak of Shadows (PHB 63) 
*Insight           +7    Divine Strike (PHB 63)
Intimidation       +3    Destroy Undead (CR 2)    
Investigation      +0    Divine Intervention (PHB 59)   
*Medicine          +4    Acid Resistance (racial)      
Nature             +0    Swim 30' (racial)     
Perception         +3    Amphibious (racial; can breathe air and water)    
Performance        +3    Call to the Waves (racial; [I][size=2]shape water[/I] and [I]create/destroy water[/size][/I])
*Persuasion        +7
Religion           +0
Sleight of Hand    +3
*Stealth           +7
Survival           +3

Proficiencies:
Background (Lover): Insight, Stealth
Cleric: Medicine, Persuasion
Armor: Light Armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: Disguise kit, lyre (both from Background (Lover))
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Languages: Common, Primordial (racial)

Spellcasting:
Spell Attack Modifier: +7
Spell Save DC: 15
Cantrips Known: [size=2]light, spare the dying, thaumaturgy, guidance, sacred flame, shape water (racial)[/size]
1st level spells prepared (4): [size=2]bless, cure wounds, [s]guiding bolt[/s] Eros's arrow*, shield of [s]faith[/s] ardor*, create/destroy water (racial)[/size]
2nd level spells prepared (3): [size=2]prayer of healing, silence, lesser restoration[/size]
3rd level spells prepared (3):  [size=2]beacon of hope, dispel magic, mass healing word[/size]
4th level spells prepared (3):  [size=2]freedom of movement, control water, guardian of faith[/size]
5th level spells prepared (2):  [size=2]greater restoration, mass cure wounds[/size]
6th level spells prepared (1):  [size=2]heal[/size]
[I]*descriptive fluff intended to reflect the character concept[/I]

Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type  Range
+2 Shortbow            +9     1d6+5        P  (80/320)
Spear                  +3     1d8-1        P  (20/60) melee, versatile
Spear                  +3     1d6-1        P  (20/60) thrown
Dagger                 +7     1d4+3        P  (20/60) melee, finesse and light
Dagger                 +7     1d4+3        P  (20/60) thrown, finesse and light

Equipment: 
Tier 1:  Animated shield (DMG 151, [i]attuned[/i])
Tier 2:  Mantle of spell resistance (DMG 180, [i]attuned[/i]), +2 shortbow (DMG 213)
Tier 3:  Decanter of endless water (DMG 161)
Tier 4:  Potion of invulnerability (DMG 188)
Tier 5:  Philter of love (DMG 184), (20) +1 arrows (DMG 150)
Arrows, 40
Spear
Dagger, 2
Breastplate
Divine focus:  small nautilus shell
Lyre
Disguise kit
Backpack
Quiver
Waterskin
Common Clothes

Personality Trait: I'm a hopeless romantic, always searching for my lost love.
Ideal: Beauty. When I love, I make the world a better place.
Bond: I had a dream that my beloved died; I cannot rest until I see him safe.
Flaw: All the world is symbols. I read meaning into things even when there is none.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]She liked to swim. The water was a balm. The morning she saw him, she swam in a narrow cove of cold clear water off the coast of the Korinn Archipelago, frolicked in the green waves, delighted in the play of sea foam along the water's edge.

The man rounded the rocky shore and came upon her before she could dart beneath the waves. He walked along the shore, the horsehair of his helm and his epaulets glinting in the sun. Something in the set of his shoulders spoke of a secret that bore like a stone upon him.

Thelxiope, lost in a well of love, watched the soldier for long moments. She could leave the sea, but that would mean a half-life. A life confined to legs that walked, to the indignity of feet, to breathing air. As she considered the man, the sun moved from behind a cloud, lighting his hair on fire. Thelxiope's heart swelled. She left the sea forever.

The tryst was worth it. For three weeks, Thelxiope and the soldier languished in one another's companionship along the shores of the archipelago. She woke the last morning of the third week to find him gone. Trouble brewed in the world of men, she knew. Even a siren hears snippets of rumor. Her solider was on his way to war.

Thelxiope slept fitfully the first six nights after her lover's absence. The morning of the seventh day, she woke from a dream rife with death. She would wait no more. Nay, she would hunt. For love. For life. For ruin, if need be. She would find him.
[/sblock]
Currently DMing: 1 game
Currently playing: 2 games

Last edited:

Remove ads