Is it rude to offer other players unsolicited optimization advice?

Is it rude?

• Yes

Votes: 78 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 60.6%

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
Well, is it?

I am intentionally cutting out ambiguity and many relevant factors in the poll. I know that. :cool:. Surely offering advice on any issue could be rude in certain situations. My question is more about gaming than social skills.

Some folks are offended by questioning the GM, even if she's "wrong" (see the whole rules lawyer" argument. Some folks are offended by optimizing PCs are all (see "munchkin" argument.) In your opinion, are people who offer to help others optimize doing something questionable? Is it only kosher if it's requested? What if someone has said something patently wrong? Is it appropriate to correct it? Is it acceptable only if the player is new to the game? Only if they haven't expressed a preference not

So: is helping others optimize okay?

Cedric

First Post
I go with the assumption that advice is always welcome. But like all things, it can be taken too far and can be rude.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If I'm understanding you, you're thinking of a situation like:

Player1: "My 15th level dwarf does maybe 12 points of damage per hit, MAX! This character is crap."

Player2: "As a suggestion, toughness is not the best feat to take 10 times in a row. You may want to look up Power Attack, the Cleave feats, and even the Weapon specialization feat, and spend some of your cash on a magic weapon or two instead of on healing potions."

Is this correct?

Kunimatyu

First Post
I think it's only rude IF the player you're giving advice to is just as knowledgeable about the game as you are. If they're new, or just don't have access to all the books that you do, a few pointers or "hey, have you considered X? It'd be really appropriate for your character" should be fine.

Fishbone

First Post
It depends on how long they've been playing. But I've been playing for a few years and I still very much appreciate advice from others.

Doug McCrae

Legend
It's slightly rude. Offering unsolicited advice on any subject is somewhat rude. Then again, so what? Calling someone a fat ugly :):):):) is rude, and more than somewhat, but I do it all the time.

Chiaroscuro23 said:
What if someone has said something patently wrong? Is it appropriate to correct it?

Yes, in fact I think there is a moral requirement to correct someone if they have misquoted a rule or suchlike.

painandgreed

First Post
Chiaroscuro23 said:
My question is more about gaming than social skills.

Unfortunatly, rudeness is a social function and not a game function. Cheating could be considered a game function and not a social function. In general, depending on how it was done, offering optimization suggestions is not rude, but insisting they follow them or gettign upset because their choices are not optimized would be.

Remove ads