Is it rude to offer other players unsolicited optimization advice?

Is it rude?

• Yes

Votes: 78 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 60.6%

Warbringer

Explorer
the key is "unsolicited"; in which your own desire to show you know more about the game is probably rude. You don't know if the player cares, if they want your "advice", or even if, gos forbid, they haven't optimized for roleplaying reasons.

Now, if they are whining their character sucks and leave it open for someone to step in... not at all, but then again that's not unsolicited.

Harmon

First Post
Rudeness is based on perception.

If a Player continues to make snide remarks and eye rolling and such which indicates that they believe they are speaking to a moron then that would be rude, but if the same person approaches the advise in a method of offering assistance then no it is not rude.

An offer such as-
“You should take Weapon Specialization at forth level, it would make you more efficient,” with a gentle and kind tone would be seen as advice, and done well.

While a person that says the same thing-
“You should take Weapon Specialization at forth level, it would make you more efficient,” with a sneer, a eye roll (you couldn’t play an efficient character why should you bother trying to make one), and attacking the person with tone, now that is rude.

It is about perception. How do you want to be seen, and how are you perceived?

Crothian

First Post
It also really depends on the relationship you have with the person. For instance if anyone I game with offered the advice to me, it would not be rude. These are all friends and we help each other out. But if it is a total stranger, I may consider that rude.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Absolutely I voted "Yes".

Making a character (especially under 3.x rules) is such a PERSONAL process. You need to anticipate (at least loosely) where you want the character to be in the next 5-10 levels, and take the feats and skills that work within those parameters. (Actually I've played with people who statt out to Level 20!!)

(Though, personally, I tend to be the opposite. I tend to generate a character concept with certain parameters and limitations, but otherwise I let the campaign determine where my character goes and what skills are useful.)

Just recently, I was rolling up a Warforged Sorcerer for the "Eberron" campaign we're starting, and was choosing first-level spells. I announced my choice ("True Strike", "Summon Monster I", and "Magic Missile"), and a long-time friend (who assuredly had the best interests for pary survivabillity in mind) stated "You need to take Sleep." I simply said "That doesn't fit my character concept." After a little bit of back-and-forth, I said "This is my spell list. Not yours. If you want to play the party mage, I'm happy to roll up something else."

And perhaps I was a bit snippy, (Sorry, Bruce!! :heh: ) but, friend or not, I HATE getting unsolicited advice on character generation or progression. If I need help, I'll ask.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I don't consider it rude at all.
Course I usually ask it like this:
Why didn't you go this route? Cause sometimes they have a goal they are building to beyond what you see so far.

Yeti

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It depends on how it's done, but I wouldn't consider it inherently rude just because it's unsolicited.

Gold Roger

First Post
Considering I do it all the time, I wouldn't call it rude.

However, I'd say it's extremely rude to tell someone to change his character concept to something more powerful.

If one of my players wants to play a light armored warrior, I'd say "Sure, you might want to take feat x and y for that to make it work", but I'd never say "Dude, light armored warriors in D&D are totally underpowered! You should make a strong guy with a greatsword and powerattack!"

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
No, it's not at all rude, although it *could* be done in such a manner as to be rude.

Insisting or arguing if the person doesn't agree with you? I'd be hard pressed to think of a way you could do *that* that *wouldn't* be rude. ;)

Cor Azer

First Post
I don't see the act of offering advice itself as being rude (which I believe was the brunt of the question), although it is certainly possible to do so in a rude way. Note too though that the adviser needs to be able to take the potential dismissal of the advice with good manners as well.

Mycanid

First Post
If it was me I would make suggestions OUTSIDE the game parameters - and with any advice, timing is a large part of what makes it more palatable. :) As a result I didn't vote yea or nay. It CAN be rude, depending on how and when one does it.

Remove ads