Is it rude to offer other players unsolicited optimization advice?

Is it rude?

• Yes

Votes: 78 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 60.6%

Emirikol

Adventurer
The problem I've seen at tables is not that a person offers optimization advice..but forces it down the throat of the player under the guise of "it's important to the party that you be munchkinized out..you're no good if you're dead."

The same player will tend to tell others what to do during combat situations too.

Otherwise, I usually have no problem with it. When I'm a player, I actually have to hold my tongue sometimes on telling DM's how to optimize THEIR end of the game...

jh

I find myself making suggestions to PCs, but mostly only when they're not as familiar with a system.

As long as it's politely and not overbearingly communicated, I don't see much harm in it at all.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Of course it does not have to be rude. But I voted Yes.

As a matter of policy, I do not offer advice unless the subject is brought up by the other player first.

For some people that is surely not a necessary rule, but I have decided it is necessary for me. After all, one facet of maturity is learning appropriate tactics for gracefully dealing with one's own immaturity. :D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
I find myself making suggestions to PCs, but mostly only when they're not as familiar with a system.

As long as it's politely and not overbearingly communicated, I don't see much harm in it at all.
Thanks, you just saved me typing the same thing. :)

Lanefan

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yes.

You should always ask first.

Player 1: Man, my character can never accomplish X!

Player 2: Well, if you want I can give you some advice to make that easier for you. . .

If player 1 says "Yes, I want. . ." then go ahead. If not, keep your mouth shut.

Woas

First Post
I voted no. Offering some advice to a player who may not fully know the rules or just generally has not had as much time playing the game as other people (and thus has not had the chance to try out all sorts of neat combos and tricks) is not rude.

It is rude when the person giving advice does to simply thwart the GM or does it 'behind the GMs bacl' so to speak. For example, telling the person about feats/spells/classes/etc. that the GM may not allow...

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Assuming the advice comes first then the act of giving advice, in-and-of-itself, is not rude.

The method of delivery might make it rude.

If the recipiant in question has already said they do NOT want the advice, then it is most definately rude.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No.

It's rude to say something rudely -whatever the subject matter. Whena bunch of people are playing a game together, such ineraction is to be expected. Just don't fo it rudely, just like you wouldn't do anything else rudely.

bento

Explorer
I play with a group where most of them are new to the game. I've seen a lot of frustration with characters not turning out the way they were planned, or look like a random set of feats thrown together.

I went out and purchased my group a copy of Goodman Game's Power Gamers Warriors book just so my players can see how to plan and build different types of melee fighters and see how effective they can be.

It's funny how a book like that assumes there's some animosity between GM and players, but as a GM who wants his players to succeed, I'm all for them learning more. Not everyone who comes to the table has years of character development experience or knows all the feat trees ever devised.

frankthedm

First Post
Until the game has a minimum amount of damage done by the character based on a character's level, it is vital characters in a party are at least somewhat 'optimized". Otherwise the rest of the party DOES suffer when 25% of it is behind the curve in damage dealing. Either they have a far harder time in combat or they wind up fighting weaker foes and receive less XP for their troubles when the DM scales back the encounter.

Remove ads