• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it rude to offer other players unsolicited optimization advice?

Is it rude?

• Yes

Votes: 78 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 60.6%

No it isn't rude. The only way it COULD be is if it continues to be "offered" after the subject has made it clear he does not need or desire advice on specified subjects.

Okay, two additional caveats: First, that we are talking about ADVICE here rather than dictates expressed from an attitude of superiority. Second, that it is understood that just because you don't ASK for advice doesn't make the mere offer of it in ANY way offensive. Those who think so got another think coming.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Chiaroscuro23 said:
So: is helping others optimize okay?
Of course it is.

As with anything, advice given in good faith is simply that: advice, take it or leave it. When did that ever become 'bad', I'd like to know.

Delta

First Post
Perhaps in theory it doesn't need to be. But I've only seen it done in a rude, "you obviously don't know what you're doing" manner.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
ShadowDenizen said:
Just recently, I was rolling up a Warforged Sorcerer for the "Eberron" campaign we're starting, and was choosing first-level spells. I announced my choice ("True Strike", "Summon Monster I", and "Magic Missile"), and a long-time friend (who assuredly had the best interests for pary survivabillity in mind) stated "You need to take Sleep." I simply said "That doesn't fit my character concept." After a little bit of back-and-forth, I said "This is my spell list. Not yours. If you want to play the party mage, I'm happy to roll up something else."

Dude, you need to not take Summon Monster I!

DS

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think it is only rude if you are:

1) offering it to someone you know to be unreceptive to unsolicited advice.

2) doing so in a rude fashion (being loud and obnoxious about it, interrupting, belittleing choices made, etc.)

TheEvil

Explorer
I voted yes, primarily because it is mostly the case with the people I currently game with. I have learned that it is best to hold the advice unless it is explicitly asked for, then be ready for it to be rejected. :\

Graybeard

Explorer
Like many others hee, I think it depends on the people involved and the advice/situation. I have one player in my group who wishes to play her character the way she wants to and doesn't want advice. That doesn't stop one of the other players from interrupting her during her turn saying things like "you shouldn't do that. You should do this instead.". On the other hand, there are other players who want advice on maximizing their character. As a GM, I welcome advice from more experienced GMs on rules and certain situations that may happen in the game. As a player, I prefer to make and play my characters the way I feel like it. I will ask for advice from other players when I make the PC sometimes. I will tell them what type of PC I want to make including general class, basic personality, etc. and ask for advice on feats, skills, and future Prestige classes.

kingpaul

First Post
I said "no", but it really depends. If the player is rather inexperienced, then probably not. I have a feeling they'd welcome some ideas on how to progress their character. Also, if you know a player doesn't have a source you do, and there is something in that source that fits that player's character, then I don't see anything wrong with that either.

Remove ads