Is the current Doctor REALLY the 11th?

GreyLord

Legend
[MENTION=80342]morris[/MENTION]

As I said, I'm old, so it may just be how old people view the new things. I'm sure your parents look at some of the new stuff and have some interesting views on them.

I travel quite a bit, that's why I brought up the items I did. Gaga seems huge in the US...but mention Robbie Williams and no one seems to know who he is. In Britain they know Gaga...AND Williams. In the Middle East, Williams is actually known, Gaga is big (Mynogue is also rather big), and then some artists that no one has heard of that sing Middle East stuff in Arabic or other languages.

And in East Asia...they've heard of everything, pirate everything, but they have some big artists I don't even understand who they are.

I know Britain has had some dark stuff, but typically it's a more slow moving dark which can really creep you out rather than the type of Dark TV I've seen from the US (as I said, best sort of comparisons for that would be stuff like Buffy, Angel, etc.). I suppose you could call it the teeny dark? British would be more of an adult dark?

Maybe it's because Dr. Who is supposed to be a family show that I get more of that "teeny dark" from it...though I didn't get the teeny dark feel from the SJA (didn't get any dark from that show really...so maybe a bad reference).

I think the numbers in the US have risen dramatically, part of the reason they are broadcasting the show in the US at the same day as the UK now...the numbers are significant from what I've heard. In fact, on some episodes I've heard the audience has actually been bigger in the US...but that's just the rumor mill at work and all.

Anyways, as I said, I'm old, and you know how old people get on their old TV shows in relation to the New shows. I've trained my kids up good though, they all like the Old Doctor (and the new doctor) even if their mother only likes the New Doctor.

MarkB

Legend
One of the things that stands out about Dr. Who is that he quite often solves things without violence when American shows of the era would come out guns blazing. This is something I remember well from the old series. But now I'm watching back through old episodes and the violence really stands out. I think I focused on the fresh differences and ignored all the violence. Then again, I'm watching Hartnell and Troughton episodes now. I started as a kid with Pertwee, so maybe the violence subsided during his and Tom Baker's era.

I grew up on the Pertwee and Baker era. I don't think you'll see any lessening of violence there. Pertwee initiates the UNIT era, with the Doctor being effectively backed up by his own army - and they see a great deal of action. Baker sees some more mystery-style episodes, but there are still plenty with overt violence (anything involving the Daleks, for a start). Look forward to Leela, the barbarian companion who has no compunction against killing and is very good at it.

Most of the new run has the "solving dangerous issues without violence" feel. I remember telling my wife that the new Who had captured that well. The current Matt Smith storyline is specifically meant to be more violent and I believe is leading to a morality story about the consequences of violence.

That's my impression as well.

Watching the old series back and keeping in mind what the times were like I think you'll find much more darkness than you might think in the old series. It comes from a completely different direction because society had different fears than we do now. And again, if one were a kid like I was during the original series, they may not have recognized the darkness being a relatively carefree kid.

Indeed. This is the show which so routinely terrified (and thrilled) kids that it coined the phrase "watching from behind the sofa". Some of it may not stand up as well today, but there was plenty of darkness to it.

This is all well and good but....

If we include the radio programs and Christmas specials there are way more than 11 Doctors and even one that was female (albeit, briefly).

I used to have the full list, but sadly, time and stupidity have made it "disappear" from my collective accumulation of massive trivia junk.

And one unfortunate side effect that America has had on Dr. Who, it's a whole hell of a lot harder to find that stuff on the internet than it used to be.

Edit: Found a recently "updated" list that lists any Dr not on the TV Series (other than Mr. Gann) as a "possible alternate version" sounds like someone else is giving this way too much thought (or has something up their sleeve with regards to the production.) But then again, that's what makes Dr. Who all so fun, the unknowing when you are absolutely sure you knew what was going on....

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Edit: Found a recently "updated" list that lists any Dr not on the TV Series (other than Mr. Gann) as a "possible alternate version" sounds like someone else is giving this way too much thought (or has something up their sleeve with regards to the production.) But then again, that's what makes Dr. Who all so fun, the unknowing when you are absolutely sure you knew what was going on....

To me, trying to fit all those other Doctors into a single continuity is giving it way too much thought. The "canon" Doctors are the ones who've appeared in the main series. All the others are pretty much officially-sanctioned fanfic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the numbers in the US have risen dramatically, part of the reason they are broadcasting the show in the US at the same day as the UK now...the numbers are significant from what I've heard. In fact, on some episodes I've heard the audience has actually been bigger in the US...but that's just the rumor mill at work and all.

Your rumour mill is drastically misinformed. The viewing figures in both countries are publicly available and easily Googled.

GreyLord

Legend
Your rumour mill is drastically misinformed. The viewing figures in both countries are publicly available and easily Googled.

I know what they are in the UK...they've fallen with the new (now not so new) 11th doctor typically remaining in the 6-7 milllion range.

All I had for US were rumors. Googling right now to see if there are actual figures via Google though. Rumors were that the US was a vital part of the strategy in keeping Who alive right now...BUT...you could be right. I can't seem to find any solid stats on the US viewing figures via Google, and all I have is rumors...so you could be right.

I do know there has been some fire for the lower veiwing figures of Who recently...BUT...through the same rumor mill I heard about the US figures I also heard that there are more shows of Who on order (13-14 more episodes from what I understand) so more is coming after this season closes out...at least according to the rumors I've gotten.

Just now starting to watch the recorded Who eps 8-10 for this season...been out and haven't gotten to watch it for a while.

Oh well, maybe US ratings are lower than I heard on rumor, can't find info either way...but I'll grant that you could very well be right...afterall...all I have is rumor. On the otherside of a coin, at least from what I think I can see, the current ratings for Who blow Torchwood's ratings out of the water (of course, different time slot, different audiences...so...not too suprising).

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know what they are in the UK...they've fallen with the new (now not so new) 11th doctor typically remaining in the 6-7 milllion range.

All I had for US were rumors. Googling right now to see if there are actual figures via Google though. Rumors were that the US was a vital part of the strategy in keeping Who alive right now...BUT...you could be right. I can't seem to find any solid stats on the US viewing figures via Google, and all I have is rumors...so you could be right.

I am right. Here's an example of a quick Google search; here's another, and another, and another. Only 1.2 million for The Impossible Astronaut - which is currently the record for any show on BBC America. There are plenty of other Google results showing the same figures.

What is the source of these "rumours" you keep citing? They're wrong; but I'm curious as where you are hearing them. The viewing figures don't need to be guessed via rumour; you can look them up. It's publicly available information, just a click or two away.

through the same rumor mill I heard about the US figures I also heard that there are more shows of Who on order (13-14 more episodes from what I understand) so more is coming after this season closes out...at least according to the rumors I've gotten.

Again... "rumours"? The BBC released a press release back in June (covered widely in major newspapers, online sources, and other channels) stating that 14 more episodes had been ordered. Again, public, official information. No need to rely on rumours.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
I am right. Here's an example of a quick Google search; here's another, and another, and another. Only 1.2 million for The Impossible Astronaut - which is currently the record for any show on BBC America. There are plenty of other Google results showing the same figures.

What is the source of these "rumours" you keep citing? They're wrong; but I'm curious as where you are hearing them. The viewing figures don't need to be guessed via rumour; you can look them up. It's publicly available information, just a click or two away.

Again... "rumours"? The BBC released a press release back in June (covered widely in major newspapers, online sources, and other channels) stating that 14 more episodes had been ordered. Again, public, official information. No need to rely on rumours.

Ah, well thanks. Rumors are typically from friends as you sit around the table discussing various things...sooooooo

In the 14 episodes, I had heard that the episodes were actually for next year...but I think I've heard from BBC that they were to be spread out over 2012 and 2013.

Moffet disagrees with the BBC

'Doctor Who' is not being cut down, says Steven Moffat - Doctor Who News - British TV - Digital Spy

But then he stated that it has an average of 10 million viewers (which, even counting the US viewers according to your numbers...doesn't equal 10 million, unless numbers are inaccurate) which seems a little out of place.

'Doctor Who' won't return for full series in 2012 - Doctor Who News - British TV - Digital Spy

Earlier they had BBC officials say it was going to be spread out.

So, I don't know, just the talk around the table says it will have them all out in 2012, but as you know...and as you pointed out with your posts...it's just rumors/table talk.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But then he stated that it has an average of 10 million viewers (which, even counting the US viewers according to your numbers...doesn't equal 10 million, unless numbers are inaccurate) which seems a little out of place.

He's including viewers who use iPlayer, which aren't included in BARB's official figures. There's a massive growing trend towards iPlayer over here, with viewerships in the millions.

As for the actual schedule - the BBC typically doesn't announce the dates for a show until a week or two before launch. But with the 50th anniversary coming up (2013), I think it's pretty safe to expect something major that year.

GreyLord

Legend
He's including viewers who use iPlayer, which aren't included in BARB's official figures. There's a massive growing trend towards iPlayer over here, with viewerships in the millions.

As for the actual schedule - the BBC typically doesn't announce the dates for a show until a week or two before launch. But with the 50th anniversary coming up (2013), I think it's pretty safe to expect something major that year.

Hopefully. I've been hoping they'd do a multiple doctor show. I think "The Four Doctors" is still open. They could have 8-11 for the show...or even crazier, maybe the 6 doctors! Maybe they could have a whole slew of them for something like that.

Probably wouldn't happen, but that would be fun if they did.

Remove ads