Is the Doctor's name really Doctor Who?

Richards

Legend
Ed_Laprade said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that he once said that his name was unpronouncabe?
In one of the Tom Baker episodes, a Time Lord comes up to him and calls him "Thete," and he responds "I'm called 'The Doctor' now."

Ed_Laprade said:
Given that Romana's name is actually much longer (I could look it up, but I'm lazy) that may be more-or-less true.
"Romanadvoratralundar."

Johnathan

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Truth Seeker said:
WRONG!

He is called, "THE MASTER!"

:p

250px-Shonuff01.jpg

-Hyp.

sniffles

First Post
Richards said:
In one of the Tom Baker episodes, a Time Lord comes up to him and calls him "Thete," and he responds "I'm called 'The Doctor' now."

Johnathan
"Thete" is short for Theta Sigma, I believe, which was implying that Time Lords had organizations similar to college fraternities. It is not the Doctor's name, which has never been revealed.

In fact, IIRC in 'The Shakespeare Code', one of the witches reads his mind and says she can't even find his name in his own thoughts.

The Doctor has actually been referred to once as Doctor Who within the series itself, other than the title. In one of the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee) episodes someone actually addressed him as Dr. Who.

There was a terrible fan outcry at the time, I believe. The writer of that episode may have been shot. ;)

warlord

First Post
As long as were on the subject of Dr. Who: Is Rose ever coming back? I mean I love David Tennet as the Doctor but his new companion for series 3 is just horrible. So much so I'd prefer the Docotr travel alone.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
warlord said:
As long as were on the subject of Dr. Who: Is Rose ever coming back? I mean I love David Tennet as the Doctor but his new companion for series 3 is just horrible. So much so I'd prefer the Docotr travel alone.
I doubt that Rose will be back. But you'll be pleased to know that Martha won't be in about the first half of next season. Instead the actress who played The Runaway Bride will reprise her role and be his Companion. So says next week's TV Guide. In which case I won't be watching. I couldn't stand her.

Remove ads