Is the Doctor's name really Doctor Who?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Kesh said:
I seem to remember reading that Billie Piper (Rose) has no desire to reprise the role.

"I think I'd find it very hard to play Rose Tyler again...but...I don't rule out a return to the show in some form or another at some point in the future" were the words she used.

Felon

First Post
sniffles said:
The Doctor has actually been referred to once as Doctor Who within the series itself, other than the title. In one of the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee) episodes someone actually addressed him as Dr. Who.

There was a terrible fan outcry at the time, I believe. The writer of that episode may have been shot. ;)
Wasn't the first Doctor called "Doctor Who" by the computer WOTAN in "The War Machines"?

Squire James

First Post
In the sense that one's name is what most people call a person, I guess "The Doctor" is pretty much his name. It probably now registers more in his mind as "his name" than his original name does.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ed_Laprade said:
I doubt that Rose will be back. But you'll be pleased to know that Martha won't be in about the first half of next season. Instead the actress who played The Runaway Bride will reprise her role and be his Companion. So says next week's TV Guide. In which case I won't be watching. I couldn't stand her.
Ugh, Sally Sparrow would have been a better choice. She's the equal of Sarah Jane, IMO.

Prince Atom

Explorer
evildmguy said:
In one of the last two episodes, the Doctor and the Master are talking and they say how they got those names, IIRC.

edg

I've always understood that they were self-granted titles.

The Doctor, in re the Master's title:

"You picked it. Psychiatrist's field day."

And the Doctor has been calling himself John Smith when he needs a (vanilla) pseudonym since forever. I think it's become something of an inside joke.

Still, at least he's not calling himself "John Doe." That would be silly.

TWK

Prince Atom

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Ugh, Sally Sparrow would have been a better choice. She's the equal of Sarah Jane, IMO.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that episode. It was a real larf after the previous two, when he's being "John Smith" for reals. That I didn't like at all.

TWK

Remove ads