• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the wizard more druidic than the cleric?

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
Generally, the quick solution to the problem of "I really want to be a druid right now" has been to play as a cleric. However, would the wizard be a better fit for a spellcasting-focused druid? Many of their spells deal elemental damage, and a druid manipulating nature with spells like Icy Terrain and Web to control the flow of battle certainly makes sense to me at least. What do you think?

LordArchaon

Explorer
My other options for druid conversion are:
  1. Fey pact Warlock with Warlord training, Combat Veteran paragon path
  2. Fey pact Warlock with Cleric training, Divine Oracle paragon path
  3. Protecting Paladin with Wizard training (heavy power swapping), Spellstorm Mage paragon path

A Paladin with the right powers may be a surprisingly fitting base class for "avenging" druids (although the "avenging paladin" build option is not so much for them, I guess). Also remember that with Channel Divinity, they can take deity-specific powers, and become "nature paladins" very easily. Ok, there are not many good ones, but it's a matter of flavor.

Star pact Warlocks can, surprisingly enough, fit some druids better than Fey ones... The dark feeling is good, and their powers are easy to re-flavor if needed.

The Radiant Servant Cleric paragon path may also fit many.

The options are many.

Oh, and no limitations on weapons and armor if you don't wish so :)

P.S. Speaking of Wizard, a wacky (and somewhat out of the rules) build that came to mind was having a Wizard with high Con, Fighter training and the Iron Vanguard paragon path: choose many spells that push enemies or knock them prone, and apply the Con modifier to damage of those powers... I know it was surely intended to be with melee attacks (although not specified at all), but one could easily say that this kind of "druid" is able to channel his natural/physical prowess into his supernatural powers... I don't know why, but it feels very druidic (and powerful) to me. Besides this 16th level feature, you actually become a much more resilient wizard, thus becoming closer to a druid. With the Enduring Warrior feature and good area of effect powers, you could regain MANY hit points as you kill many enemies at a time. You only miss the ability to heal others...

Last edited:

Amadeus Windfall said:
Generally, the quick solution to the problem of "I really want to be a druid right now" has been to play as a cleric. However, would the wizard be a better fit for a spellcasting-focused druid? Many of their spells deal elemental damage, and a druid manipulating nature with spells like Icy Terrain and Web to control the flow of battle certainly makes sense to me at least. What do you think?

Wizards are controllers, along with 3.x druids. Those druids had healing abilities, but they were generally slow (summoning unicorns) and couldn't be converted like cleric spells.

For 4e, I figure druids will be primal or divine controllers... but that leaves questions like how would you deal with shapeshifting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads