• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a Birthright type D20 game out there?

Bishop Odo

Explorer
I have been retired out of RPG gaming for some time, and I was thinking of coming back. But is there a “Birthright” type game system out for 3.5, that combines RPGs with more strategic gaming.

Yair

Community Supporter
In addition to the fan-created conversion linked to above, the WotC book Powers of Faerun seems to touch on similar topics. I get the impression that it's far less comprehensive, however, and hardly a combination with another more strategic game system. Another relevant work is Dynasties and Demagauges by Atlas Games, that does extend the d20 System to the political arena, but again isn't really an add-on strategic game level.

Mongoose Publishing was about to publish Bloodlines at some point, that seemed to be a 3.5e version of Birthright with the serial numbers filed off. But it was never released. IIRC.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Not really. There have been some mass-combat/kingdom ruling supplements form 3rd parties, but none were really supported beyond the first book, and IMHO, none very good.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Does it have to be d20?

I've recently ordered "Reign", which has rules for player-run organizations (anything from small family units or business to whole nations), how they can compete and interact with each other, and how the player characters themselves can attempt to influence their development.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
REIGN is excellent. Not only is it excellent, the entire Company rules (which include large-scale organization management from small mercenary companies to entire empires) are modular and can be inserted into any game system, not just the one REIGN uses (which is, actually, pretty good.) My only complaint with REIGN is that the setting in the rulebook confuses the heck out of me, so when I get around to using the book I'll be ditching that.

Cheers,
Cam

Ranger REG

Explorer
Bishop Odo said:
I have been retired out of RPG gaming for some time, and I was thinking of coming back. But is there a “Birthright” type game system out for 3.5, that combines RPGs with more strategic gaming.
If you want the clone mechanics or rules system, I strongly recommend Fields of Blood: The Book of War.

irdeggman

First Post
I echo Ranger REG on Fields of Blood for domain level play.

Birthright.net is a fan-based attempt to redo Birthright in 3.5, so it is pretty close to the original campaign material in flavor. So it it does address both character level and domain level play. And it is "free".

I believe that Mongoose actually published what was suppposed to be "Bloodlines" as a Conan ruleset. I haven't picked it up to see though.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Cam Banks said:
REIGN is excellent. Not only is it excellent, the entire Company rules (which include large-scale organization management from small mercenary companies to entire empires) are modular and can be inserted into any game system, not just the one REIGN uses (which is, actually, pretty good.) My only complaint with REIGN is that the setting in the rulebook confuses the heck out of me, so when I get around to using the book I'll be ditching that.

Well, I'm glad to see that my money was apparently well-spent... ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads