Is there a way to get a Kelemvor Cert?

Albinonewt

First Post
Hello:

I've been playing Adventurer's league for about a year now, and have been going to lots of in store events and cons. As such I have played almost every class through high tier 2 or low tier 3. I heard about the Dead Priest of Kelemvor Cert and I thought it would be cool to try that out. Is there a way to get that cert? I know it's pretty rare. I heard about one selling on Ebay for $200 a while ago, so I'm guessing you're allowed to buy or trade for it.

Assuming I'm right (and I don't honestly know that I am), does anyone have that cert for trade or sale? I'd happily pay the $200 for it. I really dig adventurers league, but I'm running out of things to play.

Please PM me if you have one to trade/sell.

Thanks
Newt

StinkyEttin

First Post
There was a very limited number of these certificates produced. I gave out a couple at PAX Prime this year, and think I've got one left. If you happen to find yourself at a convention I'm attending, you may be one of the lucky few. Aside from that, ebay may your only option.

Albinonewt

First Post
Thank you.

StinkyEttin: What cons? It would be worth it for me to fly to one to try to get the cert.

Greg: I'm booking my travel now to go there.

The fact that AL certs are being sold for profit sickens me. Certs for Sam is okay because of its charitable nature, but straight-up profiteering is downright despicable. Not to mention, the premise of paying upwards of $200 for what amounts to one-time use DLC is ludicrous.

I love AL as much as the next person; but this concerns me about the future of the program's claim of providing a consistent experience, if more "pay-to-win" begins to creep into the AL community. While this thread may have started as an innocent means of inquiring how to get a Death domain cert, it's inadvertently highlighted a gray market for certs. If I had less scruples, nothing would be able to stop me from turning my FLGS' excess certs into cash, all while the Admins turn a blind eye or even encourage it. I think that's wrong and should be stopped. What's to stop someone from flooding the market with counterfeit certs?

All I know is that I'm now going to be automatically suspicious of people bringing con certs to my table. They may be a tradition of the past, but that doesn't mean that the way they're handled can't evolve over time.

kalani

First Post
Given the fact that the certificates remain the property of WotC at all times, wouldn't selling them be illegal?

StinkyEttin

First Post
The fact that AL certs are being sold for profit sickens me. Certs for Sam is okay because of its charitable nature, but straight-up profiteering is downright despicable. Not to mention, the premise of paying upwards of $200 for what amounts to one-time use DLC is ludicrous.

I love AL as much as the next person; but this concerns me about the future of the program's claim of providing a consistent experience, if more "pay-to-win" begins to creep into the AL community. While this thread may have started as an innocent means of inquiring how to get a Death domain cert, it's inadvertently highlighted a gray market for certs. If I had less scruples, nothing would be able to stop me from turning my FLGS' excess certs into cash, all while the Admins turn a blind eye or even encourage it. I think that's wrong and should be stopped. What's to stop someone from flooding the market with counterfeit certs?

All I know is that I'm now going to be automatically suspicious of people bringing con certs to my table. They may be a tradition of the past, but that doesn't mean that the way they're handled can't evolve over time.

The promotional certificates are not the property of Wizards. However, they have no trade log, so once they've been used and the character's information filled in, that's it; selling them or trading them is useless. Promotional material has always been a huge commodity. Dice, minis, the character creation cards from the 3rd edition living campaigns--all of these things could routinely be found on ebay and the like. It's just the nature of the game.

That said, calling it pay-to-win is a stretch. Most con certs contain benefits that provide additional options rather than provide outright additional benefits. The Death Domain cert is anything but overpowered; same with the Aasimar cert from Gen Con 2015. That, and their non-tradeable status and limited run makes them much easier to handle in that regard.

I can tell you right now, that the certs I have are flat out not for sale. I have given out a total of 5 since Gen Con 2014 and none of the recipients knew that I had them. Kids, first-time players, and folks that demonstrate exceptional enthusiasm about the program are my preferred targets.

Be suspicious, but as the trade/sale of these con certs is completely permissible, be cautious in denying players the benefit of their use. Provided it is completed correctly, they are legal instruments and entitle the bearer to all of the benefits detailed therein; we don't get to decide on their validity based on our own moral standing.

Given the fact that the certificates remain the property of WotC at all times, wouldn't selling them be illegal?

There no such text on the DnDAL certificates. You are thinking back to previous versions of OP. There is nothing stopping a player from selling one or more of their promo certificates. I believe that stores couldn't do sell item certs since their agreement with WOTC prevents it. Promotional certs are like any other promotional item (like say a d6 that says Gen Con 2015). There is nothing that prevents you from selling a personally owned promotional item.

StinkyEttin

First Post
Thank you.

StinkyEttin: What cons? It would be worth it for me to fly to one to try to get the cert.

My con attendance is anything but predictable. I *try* to attend at least two of the larger cons each year (Winter Fantasy, Origins, Gen Con), but which one varies on a number of different variables--including what I had for breakfast on a given morning. PAX Prime is the one con that I attend regularly.

That said, simply being at the con isn't enough. I'm pretty picky about who I give my certs to; they aren't granted on request. Generally speaking, I reserve the good stuff for people that provide me with an exceptional gaming experience, or those that are new to the program or gaming in general.

kalani

First Post
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I must have been thinking about previous OP rewards and simply assumed the same held true this edition.

Remove ads