Is there a way to get a Kelemvor Cert?

Albinonewt

First Post
Also, although I'll always follow the rules when it comes to what methods of acquiring certs are legitimate, I can't say it would bother me if someone showed up at an AL game with purchased magic item certs. I know I'm in the minority on this, but to my mind AL is set up really well to deal with that.

First, the game is fully cooperative. In a game where there is PvP and competition among players there's no good reason to let players pay to win against each other. Then you're not talking about a fun game, you're talking about traveling around the country to play in cons just to get ganked by a wallet. That's no fun. But, in a fully cooperative game, I'm totally OK with a character having a good weapon, armor, augments et al.. It might allow us to tackle the module at a higher difficulty level or something. So long as the power level of items that are certed in AL remains reasonable there's not likely to be anything too game breaking.

Second, because first right of refusal goes to the person with the fewest number of magic items at the table, if one player at the table has bought several certs it just gives all the other players one less person to compete with for items.

That's my two cents at any rate.

warfteiner

First Post
The problem is with the entire concept of certs, and the idea that the only way to get them is to bribe / harass / seduce an AL Admin. Or be one, I guess.

You know, depending on where you're located... admins can be convinced to come out to events local to you! I hit up my local gaming stores (inside of about a 50 mile radius) every so often, and I do my best to attend as many local events as possible. For remote stuff - say, outside of Michigan - I'm open to it but the event would need to pony up travel, lodging, and whatnot.

If it's a bigger show they may be able to absorb it, and bringing an admin to an event means that we can sometimes bring some very limited goodies with us. Drives people into the event :)

warfteiner

First Post
I wish I could, but alas - I no longer live in Boston, so the drive to Connecticut isn't very convenient. Now, if they're interested in helping with travel arrangements they could always reach out to an admin... ;)

moardie

First Post
To be completely honest, you shouldn't go to a con expecting a certificate, even if you DM. Instead of going with another company I Dungeon mastered for adventurers league this year at Gen Con. It was really exhausting DMing for 12 hours straight. And they stuck 4 of us per room this year (which I can't really complain about since there is no way they are making such a big profit from running Dungeons and Dragons). But I don't think any of the DM's got certificates, at least I didn't. I was kind of hoping I would but it was never an expectation.

Coredump

Explorer
While I am against fake certs, and not happy about buy/sell certs.... I really can't get that worked up about it. It doesn't really impact the game much, and even that small impact only affects me for the one game I play with that guy.

And since our LGS has pretty consistent people...it could only be a factor at a Con.

That said, one of our local players did GM at GenCon, and did get a Kelemvor Cert. It was important to her, and that was cool. And even with my 'it doessn't matter' opinion; it was kinda cool playing with one of those "rare" classes...

Remove ads