D&D 5E Is Warlock broken?

SailorNash

Explorer
Ranger is a favorite topic to discuss, especially Beastmaster. We've seen several UA revisions and far more fan "fixes". Most of the other classes seem all right, or at least seldom discussed.

But what about Warlock? Everyone agrees that a two-level dip is OP for CHA classes, but beyond that, how does everyone feel at this point about the full twenty-level class?

I've played one for a number of levels, and was left unsatisfied. With only two spell slots, one was always needed for Hex and the other saved for an emergency. Concentration was almost always tied up with Hex, taking away many of your options. Instead of your most thematic spells coming automatically, as is the case with Cleric domains, they are instead choices to be made...further limiting you, when your tight number of spells are already highly restrictive.

The short rest mechanic has already been discussed as problematic. It's seldom to see 6-8 encounters in a day. With 1-2 significant events, the "5 minute workday" classes have a huge edge. Unless the DM forces the group onward, any time the group has time to stop they'll push for a full rest instead of a short one. If you have time for one hour, you usually have time for seven more. And even though they were unwise to waste their abilities too soon, those classes are often not punished for this...if you were to push them onward, you would be risking a TPK, so as a group you have to fall back or rest.

The punishment seems harsher for you as well. Without Wildshapes Moon Druids still have full spellcasting and Battlemaster Fighters when out of maneuvers still have four attacks in plate mail, but without spells you're left with nothing but Eldritch Blast and a few Invocations (some likely also tied to EB). If you do pick up a short rest, you'll regain at most two spells. But the party Wizard likely will as well with his Arcane Recovery, reducing the "cool factor" of your main class ability.

Tomelocks are interesting due to their number of rituals, but in all likelihood you'll already have the more popular Cleric and Wizard classes in the party already, making this redundant. At best you can pick up a few niche abilities that fall through others' cracks, instead of you becoming a master of forbidden magic.

Chainlocks suffer some of the same problems as Beastmasters in having to sacrifice their action to allow their pet to attack. They're hindered further by their pet being weaker, and by Find Familiar being a ritual open to Tomelocks or anyone via feat, giving others a large amount of what they'd otherwise receive.

Bladelocks were an early attempt to create an arcane gish, but with the SCAG cantrips now available anyone can pick these up with cantrip selections or a feat. That combined with their lack of armor makes them less effective than many other possible builds.

It seems that the only "correct" way to play a Warlock is to play something else instead. If you want to play a dark magician, take two levels then Shadow Sorcerer 18. If you want to play a Hexblade, start Paladin, dip a few levels for your Pact Magic and cool summon blade, then break that oath and continue on with your melee class. If you want to be a mind-taker then Mystic is coming (complete with Far Realms influence!), or refluff Lore Bard after you pick up EB for your attack. If you just want to be questionably evil, fluff that up with RP or take Initiate (Warlock) for a few flavor spells.

Before you comment, I know the only "correct" way is the way that's most fun. But Warlock as designed has problems that keep it from being fun. In combat you're almost always spamming EB because there's little reason not to. You have few other options, and you're at-will option is one of the best. In-game I attempted to disguise myself as a magician, but the party was suspicious when I never actually cast any spells? The reason being that as a player, I never could afford to...I needed to conserve my precious slots, because more often than not I only had two for the entire day. The ONLY trick I had was EB, and it was so nice others were wanting to take the level dip to have what I had plus everything else from their own class. I made it to Level 6, still only halfway until I got another spell for the day, while the party Wizard was already casting TEN spells, three at the highest level, with multiple in a single combat knowing a rest would likely be coming soon.

The other problem, though this is more of a DM one, is I've only seen one DM that really played up the Patron angle? In a class so dripping with flavor, people treat dipping here as common as picking up a little martial training (i.e. Fighter) instead of literally selling your soul to an actual devil. Along with perhaps Paladin, this should be one of the most RP-heavy classes due to it's very nature.

Has anyone else tried playing a straight Warlock 20? How does it stand against your Bladesingers or Mystics or Shadow Sorcerers now that the newer options and UA playtests are starting to appear? Has power creep completely outdated this class, and what should be done to make this a viable option? Is anything needed here, similar to saving the Beastmaster Ranger, or should it be left to stand as-is?

If your Warlock is spending 90% of its time spamming eldritch blast, then that's working as intended. That was the role which defined Warlock for much of its existence, so it shouldn't be surprising when you occasionally fall back to it. You don't complain about a Battle Master spending 90% of its time making basic attacks, and they're roughly the same level of complexity.

In the game I'm running, which actually is averaging around two short rests per day, the Warlock is throwing out a spell in every fight, and that's about it. Contrast with the Wizard, who runs himself out of spells over the course of two encounters. It's just a matter of pacing.

If anything, the limited nature of the Warlock's spell list actually works to help it conserve spell slots, since there is so frequently a situation where the Warlock isn't tempted to use a spell because they don't have the right tool for the job. I don't think I've seen our Warlock run out of spells since they made it to level 11.

Last edited:

Has anyone else tried playing a straight Warlock 20? How does it stand against your Bladesingers or Mystics or Shadow Sorcerers now that the newer options and UA playtests are starting to appear? Has power creep completely outdated this class, and what should be done to make this a viable option? Is anything needed here, similar to saving the Beastmaster Ranger, or should it be left to stand as-is?
All of the UA stuff is just unfinished, unbalanced suggestions. If you compare the stuff in the book to the stuff on a website, and you think the stuff in the book looks too weak in comparison, then you should drag the UA stuff back down to par.

Mephista

Adventurer
But what about Warlock? Everyone agrees that a two-level dip is OP for CHA classes, but beyond that, how does everyone feel at this point about the full twenty-level class?
Lots of people are unsatisfied with the warlock. Eldritch Blast works perfectly. The problem? Eldritch Blast is the only saving grace of the class. That's why its constantly spammed. And its supposed to be optional. And everything else (from lack of fiend summon spells for the Fiend'lock, to crappy Invocations, to spell slot/short rest issues, to crappy chain and blade pact options, to AC issues without feats, to Hex's Concentration issues, to difficulty with viable new subclasses, etc.) is highly controversial. The warlock also theoretically had a similar vibe to the Pathfinder Witch class and its curses, but falls flat in that as well due to various issues. And, laughably, you can't even use Eldritch Blast on the Tarrasque or Tiamat, if your game includes either.

While I won't say that the class is broken, it does have a lot of problems that really should be fixed.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The warlock is different. But it has to be, right? We already have a wizard--with 8 variations, plus sorcerer, plus other full-casters that can be played in a wizardy/witchy kind of way.

I think those things that bug some--a more focused set of options that can be used more often--are what appeal to others. But again, it kind of has to be like that.

The "correct" way to play a bladelock is to be a magical assassin, not a poor man's paladin. You use your spells (or your party) to create confusion, then when nobody is looking stab the target, make the sword disappear, and look innocent (high charisma helps) or teleport out with misty step or frame some other sucker using mask of many faces. Look how easy it is to build a bladelock that does any or all of that vs. how many resources are spent in a vain effort to be competitive with a fighter.....

When the party is fighting 100 goblins, the bladelock is just like any other warlock, spamming eldritch blast, because 1) the class isn't built to be a front line melee type (and only a lot of work can make it that way), and 2) since you don't get your weapon until level 3, you probably picked up eldritch blast at level 1 or 2 anyway, because what else are you using for offense then?

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The "correct" way to play a bladelock is to be a magical assassin, not a poor man's paladin. You use your spells (or your party) to create confusion, then when nobody is looking stab the target, make the sword disappear, and look innocent (high charisma helps) or teleport out with misty step or frame some other sucker using mask of many faces. Look how easy it is to build a bladelock that does any or all of that vs. how many resources are spent in a vain effort to be competitive with a fighter.....

When the party is fighting 100 goblins, the bladelock is just like any other warlock, spamming eldritch blast, because 1) the class isn't built to be a front line melee type (and only a lot of work can make it that way), and 2) since you don't get your weapon until level 3, you probably picked up eldritch blast at level 1 or 2 anyway, because what else are you using for offense then?

One can play like a poor mans Paladin and do it well. Just take your 1st level as fighter and MC into the warlock.

Remove ads