• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Dark Sun

Shemeska

Adventurer
"We are going to try very hard not to shoehorn 4e conceits into Dark Sun" -Bill

My first response to the news was to feel truly sorry for fans of Dark Sun. But if they honestly try to avoid the 4e FR treatment and cram default 4e into a setting as unique as Dark Sun, maybe, just maybe they'll have learned from their mistakes up to this point. One can only hope.

Nai_Calus

First Post
Meh, figured, still disappointing. Two years in a row with campaign settings I don't like at all, and Dark Sun doesn't strike me as even being something to mine classes/races from for other stuff, so I'm very meh on this. Here's hoping for something better in 2011.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am quite excited for Dark Sun, and also the comment that they want to show off the amount of different types of fantasy that can be done with 4e. Not only is this obvious with Dark Sun but could suggest stuff for future settings.

Also, what they have talked about so far is quite exciting. While I am perfectly fine with them introducing core-concepts to the game, after all it is your setting when you play. I am happy in that it means more crunch will be spent probably on just new stuff. I am really hoping there is some manner of non-class base psionics.

Also, that cover is kick ass. It is funny the sun itself is probably my favourite part of it.

CardinalXimenes

First Post
My first response to the news was to feel truly sorry for fans of Dark Sun.
I suspect your pity may not be wholeheartedly welcomed by fans of Dark Sun who have been crying out for a 1st edition rollback since the days of 2e. Really, this announcement hits all the fan buttons. They're using the original boxed set setting, they're not trying to fit all of 4e into the setting, and they're promising setting-specific character options and mechanics. What possible offering could WotC make that would be better than this for DS grognards? The only reason I could see for a DS fan to not be excited about this is if they are grimly and unalterably opposed to 4e in all its ways and doings.

avin

First Post
My first response to the news was to feel truly sorry for fans of Dark Sun. But if they honestly try to avoid the 4e FR treatment and cram default 4e into a setting as unique as Dark Sun, maybe, just maybe they'll have learned from their mistakes up to this point. One can only hope.

Eberron 4E > Eberron 3E :p

Maybe they have learned. There's no gods. DMG2 will have new mechanics for games with low or no magic items.

I'm optimist.

Character Build request: include a checkbox that allow players to chose only items that could exist on setting. "Dark Sun legal" to show up on character.

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
So they've done a 'Realms-shattering-event' for FR, basically retconned 4e changes for Eberron, and it looks like Dark Sun is getting a reboot back to its original setting (with 4e tweaks, presumably). Three very different models on how to handle things.
Intriguing observation, thanks. I'm quite glad that WotC didn't feel obliged to stick to one update model for each setting. I like the variety of the three approaches.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
Dark Sun? So that's what I've been working on! So glad it's finally announced.

Anyway, I can't say much about it. I will mention that people who are looking for new, innovative crunch won't be disappointed!

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Has there ever been much reason to worry about WotC "kitchen-sinking" 4e elements into every setting? Both FR and Eberron are and were kitchen-sinks to begin with (although in different ways), after all.

And yes, that cover is awesome. I hope they can keep the quality for the rest of the artwork!

Remove ads