D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remathilis

Legend
Hmm. I'm wondering if the 24 PHB might be closer to the 14 than the UA has so far implied. The discussion of subclasses implies that aside from moving 1st (and 2nd) level subclasses, we might be back to the older progression of subclass features, which is better for continuity for those older features but worse as the some classes got subclass features far too late (paladin and sorcerer for example) or got too few (bard). Based on this, I think it's possible to reread statements about wild shape and pact magic to imply that these features may yet resemble their 14 versions, with some tweaks rather than the wholesale change UA gave us. (For good or ill).

I am truly wondering now how much of the changes we saw are just wild "let's see how this flies" and how much is feedback based. I've gotten a sinking feeling that those 24 classes are going to look more similar than different.

Last edited:

Hmm. I'm wondering if the 24 PHB might be closer to the 14 than the UA has so far implied.
maybe, but we only have the examples so far to work with for our theory on what it will look like
The discussion of subclasses implies that aside from moving 1st (and 2nd) level subclasses, we might be back to the older progression of subclass features, which is better for continuity for those older features but worse as the some classes got subclass features far too late (paladin and sorcerer for example) or got too few (bard). Based on this, I think it's possible to reread statements about wild shape and pact magic to imply that these features may yet resemble their 14 versions, with some tweaks rather than the wholesale change UA gave us. (For good or ill).
for people who like and want 5e to continue that is a good sign

Remathilis

Legend
maybe, but we only have the examples so far to work with for our theory on what it will look like

for people who like and want 5e to continue that is a good sign
I guess we'll see when packet 6 comes out and we see the 6 earlier classes, especially the ranger, bard, and druid. I can't help but feel uneasy about the fate of the sorcerer spells, Create Spell or weapon mastery now though.

I guess we'll see when packet 6 comes out and we see the 6 earlier classes, especially the ranger, bard, and druid. I can't help but feel uneasy about the fate of the sorcerer spells, Create Spell or weapon mastery now though.
of those only weapon mastery was a big improvement in my mind so yeah I get what you mean.

edit: it actually makes the whole playtest into a joke if they pull the rug and say "Nope just 5e reprinted"

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
so 3.5 needed to be changed from 3e when about 50 options books came out, and 5e needs to be changed to (insert what ever you want to call it) after 40 options books
The point was that the change from 3.0 to 3.5 came way faster and "obsoleted" more books than this new version of 5e will do, I don't really understand their hesitation to re-utilizing the same number system for 5.5/5.2024/whatever.

I can't say I've ever seen anybody look back on 3.5 and see the change in edition as a mistake. Like there'll always be naysayers but you did this before and it worked out fine, stop dancing around and go for it again

I don't have an issue admitting Id find that situation entirely hilarious to the point of breathing problems.

But I doubt it. As contentious as a lot of the playtests have been, the reception does not appear to actually be all that negative, particularly since they reversed the OGL debacle and then some, which if nothing else so effectively restored faith that it was basically overnight that OneDND started to be looked at seriously again.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
edit: it actually makes the whole playtest into a joke if they pull the rug and say "Nope just 5e reprinted"

5e14 and 5e24 are completely different!

5e14 got the PHB, 5e24 is the PHB 50th Anniversary. They got subclasses, 5e24 got the sub-classes. We both got the same fighters, wizards, monks, barbarians and clerics, but our sorcerers have sesame seeds.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The whole point of the way level 1 and 2 are designed was to nod towards those who wanted zero to hero instead of starting out as a superhero. Apparently they are tossing that idea.
Which is weird because the playtests have been all about making 1-2 less interesting to anyone but the Zero-to-Hero set, what with vacating all subclasses to level 3.

I guess they feel the feat is going to do it?

I mean they're putting out classes now, so where is the thing that's going to make 1-2 not Zero Levels by another name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads