D&D Movie/TV Joe Manganiello: Dragonlance TV Show No Longer In Development

"Dragonlance is not a property WotC are interested in developing further currently."

despair.jpg

Actor Joe Manganiello has confirmed that the anticipated Dragonlance TV show that he had been working on is no longer being developed. In an interview with ComicBook.com. According to Manganiello, following poor sales of Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen and the Warriors of Krynn board game last year, "Dragonlance is not a property [WotC] are interested in developing further currently". This decision was also prompted by Hasbro's sale of its media studio, eOne.

In March last year, Manganiello confirmed during an official D&D video update that he was working on a TV show for WotC, and a D&D live action series was greenly by Paramount in January. It's not clear if these are the same property.

Manganiello also talked about his approach to the property, and the new designs he had for the world, the dragons, and even the casting. "I want to make [the show] because I want to see it and I just want to feel that excited and electric about something. The characters...like the casting, I have a look book with over 1,000 pages, but it's not what you expect. The design concepts I had for the world, for the armor, for the swords....I had a fresh take on what the dragons were going to look like, it was going to be nothing like anyone has ever seen."

He has been working on a script for years, and was told by TV executives that his pilot was one of the best fantasy scripts they had ever read. He even offered to buy Dragonlance from WotC.

You can watch the whole interview at the link above.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Yeah, so am I. The animated Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon Prime, adapted from the D&D LIVE STREAM from Critical Role.

It's D&D dude. Not officially, of course. But's it's D&D. Did they scrub out some IP to avoid issues with WotC? Yup. Still an animated adaptation of a live-streamed D&D game.
thus not D&D 'dude'.
Its a funny, cleverly done show, but it doesn't capture the essence of their D&D livestream because its a sanitized adaptation washed clean of iconic D&D creatures, spells and gods, its not D&D, it is a fantasy animated tv show.

Incenjucar

Legend
Let's keep on mind WotC isn't paying us to defend their branding decisions. The Modrons will not descend upon us for violating sacred truths, and Vox Machina is not currently being sued by the Tolkien estate.

Kender did definately steal this show from us, though.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Let's keep on mind WotC isn't paying us to defend their branding decisions.
no one thinks this.

They do think that there are two official and one partnered book available through WotC that are explicitly set in the world of Exandria, that Amazon markets D&D alongside every Vox Machina show and that Critical Role themselves say that they are in fact a D&D show

Incenjucar

Legend
no one thinks this.

They do think that there are two official and one partnered book available through WotC that are explicitly set in the world of Exandria, that Amazon markets D&D alongside every Vox Machina show and that Critical Role themselves say that they are in fact a D&D show
Also Rick and Morty.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Also Rick and Morty.
The creators of Rick & Morty do not say that the show is a D&D show. They do not have 2.5 books available through Wizards of the Coast, nor does Amazon try to sell you D&D stuff when you watch a Rick & Morty cartoon. That box set is also no longer in print, unlike every Critical Role book

So, no. It's not like Vox Machina.

Oofta

Legend
Let's keep on mind WotC isn't paying us to defend their branding decisions. The Modrons will not descend upon us for violating sacred truths, and Vox Machina is not currently being sued by the Tolkien estate.

Kender did definately steal this show from us, though.
Vox Machina isn't being sued by WOTC either. Again, I have no idea what you're talking about.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

it's not a negative - it's an opportunity! I'm seriously this close to getting my youngest sibs and their spouses into an RPG - just have to find the right game. I floated Alien just as a "really cool game that is just like the movie" but that bait hasn't caught yet. They're all really big board gamers, though. My baby bro is 8 years younger than I and my youngest (step-) sis is 18 years my junior, so they really missed the 'exposure by an older sib' contagion. But my baby sis went to Pax Unplugged this past year, the &!#((#, and got to meet all her Board Game YouTubers and chat friends.

So soon, very soon...

Remove ads

Remove ads