JollyDoc's Age of Worms (Updated 11/30, Epilogue!)

gfunk

First Post
Well Storm's player's wife had her pregnancy induced this week so Storm will likely be out of the picture for the rest of this campaign. However, I would not rule out a return for "Savage Tide."

Again, a thousand thanks for Joachim for giving me Balakarde's Everful Purse. Though the 25 gp a day it generates is hardly impressive for its "minor artifact" status, the other additional abilities are priceless. +2 luck to Int and Wis and not to mention a +10 luck to Knowledge and Spellcraft checks bring Faust one more step closer to his goal of omniscience. In return, Joachim was given Faust's share of treasure for an idefinite amount of time.

Very nice update JD, though I'm not sure why I finally cracked under the weight of Grubber's "no fly, no boat" rule. Strangely enough, Grubber's player's was out of town so Ika was playing him. I guess I used his absence to take out my frustrations on him :eek: .

Also, on a related note, I guess making the entrance to the Fissure so long adds to the atmosphere and story somewhat but it was booooooring. Maybe we took the express route but it was kind of surprising we didn't run into anything.

Last edited:

R-Hero

Explorer
jollydoc said:
Giovanni leaned over and retrieved the purse. Suddenly, he felt a presence in his mind. It did not speak, and the warlock could not even be sure it was capable of doing so. It felt somehow…incomplete. What he did feel from it, however, was a thirst for knowledge. He felt his own vast store of information abruptly…expand, for lack of a better word. He knew things he never recalled studying. It was as if the information had always been there.

Quotes like this, is the main reason why I haven't tried my hand at writing.
If I was writing a story hour, I would have got to here and panicked and said "Havok felt his brain get gooder..." or some thing as brilliant as "Giovanni's stats went up.." :(

Bravo, J.D.

JollyDoc

Explorer
R-Hero said:
Quotes like this, is the main reason why I haven't tried my hand at writing.
If I was writing a story hour, I would have got to here and panicked and said "Havok felt his brain get gooder..." or some thing as brilliant as "Giovanni's stats went up.." :(

Bravo, J.D.

I'm just glad all that book-learnin' I got has finally paid off!! :D

Joachim

First Post
Havok levelled again...this is what he will look like going into Day 2 of the Wyrmcrawl Fissure!!

Giovanni Vito, aka "Havok" (Warlock 19)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 19d6+57 (131 hp)
Initiative: +19 (+23 with Sign) [this is not a typo...thanks, Hawk]
Speed: Move 30' (6 squares), Fly 30' (good)
Armor Class: 22 (+5 Dex, +5 Armour, +2 Insight), 17 touch, 22 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+14
Attack: Eldritch Blast +19 ranged touch (10d6)
Full Attack: Eldritch Blast +19 ranged touch (10d6)
Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
Special Attacks: Invocations, Eldritch Blast
Special Qualities: Human traits, Detect Magic (Sp) at will, Deceive Item, DR 5/cold iron, Fiendish Resilience 5, Fire Resistance 5, Electricity Resistance 5, Imbue Item, 3 Fate Points remaining, +1 inherent bonus to CHA, -1 penalty to all strength skill checks
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +18, Will +21
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 21
Skills: Concentration +30, Knowledge (planes) +24, Knowledge (religion) +24 [+28 regarding Kyuss or his cult], Knowledge (arcana) +24, Spellcraft +26 (+33 to identify scrolls with detect magic), Use Magic Device +27 (+34 for any check involving scrolls)
Feats: Noncombatant (Flaw), Absent-Minded (Trait), Sudden Still Spell, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Arcane Mastery, Maximize Spell-Like Ability [Eldritch Blast], Empower Spell-Like Ability [Eldritch Blast], Quicken Spell-Like Ability [Eldritch Blast], Improved Initiative, Quicken Spell-Like Ability [Wall of Perilous Flame], Ranged Precision (Team Feat), Superior Flank (Team Feat)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary or Murder (Gfunk, Ika et al)
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: Goods
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Before you stands an unarmed and unassuming bookish young man of no more than twenty years, complete with thick spectacles. As he clenches his fist, you swear that his hand is bathed in a sheen of dark emerald energy.

COMBAT
Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first invocation acquired by all warlock is the eldritch blast. The eldritch blast is a ranged touch attack that is treated as a 1st level spell and has a range of 60 feet. At Giovanni's current level of power, his eldritch blast deals a base of 8d6 damage (10d6 with his Greater Chasuble of Fell Power).

Invocations (Sp): Giovanni has acquired a small number of invocations that he can use. Invocations are identical to spell-like abilities, with the exception that they have somatic components (only). Invocations can be used at will with no limit in uses per day. Giovanni has access to the following invocations:

Least:
Eldritch Spear (Blast Shape): The range of eldritch blast increases to 250 feet.
See the Unseen: Grants Darkvision 60 feet and see invisibility (24 hour duration).
Dark One's Own Luck: Grants CHA bonus to one save (included with Will save above, 24 hour duration).

Lesser:
Eldritch Chain: Eldritch chain bounces into 1 additional target for every 5 levels (secondary targets take half damage).
Flee the Scene: Use dimension door with close range (25 feet + 5 feet every 2 levels) at will, and leave behind a major image of self in its place.
Fell Flight: Fly at land speed with good maneuverability, 24 hour duration.

Greater:
Wall of Perilous Flame: Use wall of flame at will, but half of the damage is fire and the other half results from arcane power. Targets that are taken to 0 hit points by a Wall of Perilous Flame are destroyed.
Chilling Tentacles: Use Evard's black tentacles at will, but creatures also take 2d6 cold damage.
Vitriolic Blast: Eldritch blast deals acid damage, ignores SR, and deals 2d6 additional damage for next 3 rounds.

Dark:
Retributive Invisibility: Use greater invisibility at will, and deals 4d6 damage in 20 foot radius if dispelled.
Dark Foresight: Use foresight at will, and communicate telepathically with a close target of the effect.

Detect Magic (Sp): Giovanni can use detect magic at will.

Deceive Item: Giovanni can always take 10 on Use Magic Device, even if stressful situations would not normally allow him to do so (such as combat).

Fiendish Resilience (5): As a free action once per day, Giovanni can call upon the dark forces to heal his wounds. He gains fast healing 5 for a duration of 2 minutes.

Energy Resistance: A Warlock selects two types of energy (in Havok's case, Fire and Electricity) to gain resistance (5 points).

Imbue Item: A Warlock with the proper item creation feats can use his Use Magic Device skill to simulate spells required in the making of items. The DC for arcane spells is 15 + spell level, and the DC for divine spells is 25 + spell level.

EQUIPMENT

General:
Greater Chasuble of Fell Power, +3 Belt of Charisma, Gloves of Fortunate Striking, Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, Spellsight Spectacles, Headband of Conscious Effort, Ring of Feather Falling, Ring of Resistance +5, Talisman of the Sphere, Bracers of Health +2, Boots of Dexterity +2, "Dawn's Light" (intelligent +1 Soulfire Mithril Chain Shirt, can cast Cure Moderate Wounds 3/day and maintains a continual Deathwatch), Ioun Stone (+2 Intelligence), Ioun Stone (+2 Strength), Ioun Stone (+1 caster level), Heward's Handy Haversack, Staff of Ghostform (21 uses), 2,688 platinum pieces.

Wands:
Wand of Cure Moderate [23 charges], Wand of Cure Light [35 charges], Wand of Restoration [23 charges], Wand of Mirror Image [32 charges], Wand of True Strike [49 charges], Wand of Sign [35 charges], Wand of Benign Transposition [46 charges], Wand of Comprehend Languages [44 charges], Wand of Detect Secret Doors [47 charges]

Scrolls:
5 Scrolls of Silence, 5 Scrolls of Knock, 12 Scrolls of Heroics, 4 Scrolls of Blindsight, 2 Scrolls of Regroup, 3 Scrolls of Assay Resistance, 11 Scrolls of Solid Fog, 1 Scroll of Teleport, 2 Scrolls of Ghost Trap, 5 Scrolls of Time Stop, 2 Scrolls of Mordenkainen's Disjunction (18th level), 2 Scrolls of Shapechange (20th level), 2 Scrolls of Dragonshape (20th level), Scroll of Gate (20th level)

gfunk

First Post
Sunday Night Update

1. Havoc tries to gate in some help. He is successful . . . sort of. He is very tactful and not at all demanding.

2. The party follows the trail of Balakarde's Everfull Purse to . . .

3. A remote fortress populated by hydras. The owner of said fortress tries to parlay w/ the League but Faust responds. He is very demanding and not at all tactful.

4. High level combat ensues; some highlights:

a) Grubber gets owned by a table (a mere nightstand mind you, not even a full dining set)

b) Lots of holes are disintegrated in the fortress

c) We see a half dozen dispel magics bandied about not to mention a couple of time stops, a liberal dash of timeless body, and walls galore including blade barriers, prismatic walls, walls of force, and walls of perilous flame.

5. Faust returns to his undead lovin' ways but the League puts a quick stop to that.

gfunk

First Post
Faust "Holocaust" Cenodoxus (Kineticist 19)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Medium Abberation (Elan)
Hit Dice: 19d4+76+16 (141 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+12 w/ Hawk's Motivate Dexterity Aura)
Speed: Move 40' (8 squares)
Armor Class: 21, 12 touch, 19 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+8
Attack: +11 ranged touch, +6 melee touch
Full Attack: +11 ranged touch, +6 melee touch
Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
Special Attacks: Psionics
Special Qualities: Naturally Psionic, Resistance, Resilience, Repletion
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +20
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 30, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Autohypnosis +25, Concetration +36, Knowledge (Arcana) +46, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +43, Knowledge (Nature) +43, Knowledge (The Planes) +43, Knowledge (Religion) +46, Psicraft +22, Spellcraft +24
Feats: Noncombatant (Flaw), Psionic Mastery, Privileged Energy [Fire], Power Penetration, Greater Power Penetration, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Body, Overchannel, Expanded Knowledge (Evade Burst), Expanded Knowledge (Contigency (Psi)), Maximize Power, Quicken Power, Extend Power
Environment: Somewhere fiighting monsters w/ a lot of non-associated class levels
Organization: Solitary or Murder (Joachim, Ika et al)
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: Goods
Alignment: True Neutral

Despite his repulsive exterior and atrophied body, this humanoid-shaped, cloaked figure has an intellect that eclipses even that of the eldest wyrms. And power to match . . .

Naturally Psionic: Faust gains 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant him the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Resistance (Su): Faust can use psionic energy to increase his resistance to various forms of attack. As an immediate action, he can spend 1 power point to gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws until the beginning of his next action.

Resilience (Su): When Faust takes damage, he can spend power points to reduce its severity. As an immediate action, he can reduce the damage he is about to take by 2 hit points for every 1 power point he spends.

Repletion (Su): Faust can sustain his body without need of food or water. If he spends 1 power point, Faust does not need to eat or drink for 24 hours.

Psioncs (Sp): Faust has a power point pool of 408. His DC to resist powers is 20 + power level (subject to augmentation) (21 + power level for psychokinetic powers)

1st: Inertial Armor, Vigor, Precognition Defensive, Crystal Shard, Synchronicity

2nd: Energy Missile, Damp Power, Psychoportive Shelter, Ego Whip

3rd: Energy Cone, Energy Wall, Dispel Psionics, Touchsight

4th: Control Body, Energy Ball, Dimension Door (Psi), Energy Adaptation, Telekinetic Manuever

5th: Power Resistance, Anticipatory Strike, Energy Current, Celestial Conduit

6th: Disintegrate (Psi), Dispelling Buffer, Temporal Acceleration, Contingency (Psi)

7th: Mind Blank (Personal), Reddopsi, Evade Burst, Energy Wave

8th: Recall Death, Shadow Body, Greater Teleport (Psi), Telekinetic Sphere (Psi)

9th: Assimilate, Timeless Body, Tornado Blast

EQUIPMENT

Headband of Intellect +6, Gloves of Health +4, Bracers of Dexterity +4, Psionatrix of Psychokinesis, Third Eye of Concentration, Cloak of Resistance +5, Ring of Evasion, Ring of Power Preservation (Gift from Melchor Harpell), Dojre of Mindlink (8th level, 22 charges), Several CMW/CSW potions, 1 Scroll of Greater Spell Immunity, Boots of Striding and Springing, +1 Mithral Chain Shirt of Soulfire, +5 Mithral Buckler, Balakarde's Everful Purse

Balakarde's Everful Purse
Crafted by the great Mage Balakarde, this minor artifact always starts the day with 25 gp if a single gold coin is placed in it the day before. In addition, its owner enjoys a +2 luck bonus to Int and Wis as well as a +10 insight bonus on Knowledge and Spellcraft checks.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Did Havoc use a silence scroll on this thread? Where is all the witty banter? Advice from readers for further powergaming optimization? Rules we overlooked?

I like pie.

Tearlach

First Post
Hmm I thought replies were deleted anyways :p

Okay witty banter...Isnt it spelt Malchor Harpell....

Oh golly that was lame.

Keep up the good work lads :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Tearlach said:
Hmm I thought replies were deleted anyways :p
Quiet, you. That was an accident. The entire ENWorld board crash was not a conspiracy by SH writers to clear the clutter from their threads. No sir. Not at all...

No, really, it wasn't.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Demiurge out.

Remove ads