• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just when I thought there might have been hope for the second D&D movie...

Ranger REG

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
Yeah, I think that causes a lot of the frenzy the film generates around here. If it had been released without any ties to "our" game (with a title like The Dragonlord, or something stupid like that), people wouldn't be so frothed up about it. People would probably like it as much as they liked other crappy fantasy movies.

Is what I think.
Not necessarily. It just a lot easier to dismiss said crappy fantasy movie without getting all worked up about it. :p

For example...

Conan the Barbarian. (Rated R.) Cool! :cool:
Conan the Destroyer. (Rated PG-13.) WTF!!! :mad:

Ator. Feh...
Kull the Conqueror. Feh...

Dragonslayer. Cool! :cool:
Dragonheart. Feh...
Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie. WTF!!! :mad:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Goodsport said:
Does Paris Hilton's inclusion in the sequel mean that Zoe McLellan (
heartface.gif
) won't be reprising her role as Marina? :(
It looks like it.

Ranger REG said:
Not necessarily. It just a lot easier to dismiss said crappy fantasy movie without getting all worked up about it. :p

For example...

Conan the Barbarian. (Rated R.) Cool! :cool:
Conan the Destroyer. (Rated PG-13.) WTF!!! :mad:

Ator. Feh...
Kull the Conqueror. Feh...

Dragonslayer. Cool! :cool:
Dragonheart. Feh...
Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie. WTF!!! :mad:
I'd dismiss every one of those as a crappy movie that I could do without ever seeing again, personally.

Templetroll

Explorer
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue191/interview.html

This was an interview with Courtney Solomon and Thora Birch. Some fascinating points in it. The cast was presigned for the trilogy; ;et's see if they show. Solomon expected to have more money for the sequel and the story will be better about 60% of the way through it.

There was also supposed to be an actual 'dungeon sequence' with monsters that he hoped to include in the second film.

I find it interesting that the scenario was supposedly lifted from Solomon's home campaign since much had been made of they pouring over all the material from Wizards to come up with a story.

I know that the first thing I would have done differently was to have a story that involved the characters, their backgrounds and made it personal, not this free the oppressed thing and an artifact that was only useful for the final battle. You need to care about the characters. How much more dangerous does The One Ring seem by being there throughout the trilogy and having its draining effect and corruptive influence on characters you care about.

the first movie should have taken from that opening scene - The wizard's evil work to gain control of *one* dragon and how that work and that dragon forces the characters to work to stop him. There should be a nice fight st the end of the movie with one dragon versus a party, and the wizard covering his tracks, his plot foiled and the next movie is set up. Second movie is the wizard using his position to get the young mage to lead the group into a deathtrap dungeon. They survive, but no one knows that and the wizard is shown, via a crystal ball the party found in the last room of the dungeon, to be seeking the rod to control dragons. third movie you have the good and evil forces moving to get the rod first, while the wizard pulls his political tricks to force the Empress to use her rod first, so that he can be seen as the savior opposing the tyrannical Empire. Only the party has the ability to reveal the truth and they have to use some odd bits of magic to make it to the city in time. I'd use the Folding Boat, robe of useful items and an item with Zone of Truth to make it happen.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I'd dismiss every one of those as a crappy movie that I could do without ever seeing again, personally.
Including Peter Jackson's LOTR? You'd dismisss them without any emotion behind it? You won't accuse Jackson for taking creative license in adapting Tolkien's books? ;)

tecnowraith

First Post
My 2 cents... The writers and producers of the supose sequeal should take a look at Record of Lodoss Wars (anime) on how to write a story based around the D&D book. Eeven though it was TV show/OVA, the creators of this anime based the it on D&D, from what I heard. You cared about the characters, you new about theirs histories and why they got together. It quests, treasure hunying, monter fighting and it show teamwork.

Starman

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:

What! Dragonslayer is a crappy movie?! Blasphemer!

Starman

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
A movie in the vein of Dragonslayer could be done with the small budget reported for D&D 2. And that'd be a good thing, IMHO.

Remove ads