• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Kensei Focus" & "Kensei Mastery" with Implement/Weapon like "Crusader’s Weapon"

simen

First Post
"Kensei Focus" & "Kensei Mastery" with Implement/Weapon like "Crusader’s Weapon"

I wonder if you get the bonuses from "Kensei Focus" & "Kensei Mastery" with "Crusader’s Weapon" to implement attacks? It doesn't say that the power must include "weapon" as a keyword like other +1 stuff etc.

Llamas Notsheep

First Post
I see no reason it wouldn't apply when used as an implement. You gain a bonus to attack rolls/damage rolls using that weapon... not rolls using that weapon for a Weapon keyword power.

RAW pretty clearly seems to support the use of the weapon as an implement. RAI? Probably not, but you never know :)

simen

First Post
Yeah, I think so to. Somewhat the same as Cunning Dagger for a Wizard and casting spells using the property of the weapon for the implement attack.

I ask because I have a player (not me) and we are looking at Paragon Paths. He is a Human Battle-Cleric, started out with 18 str and 16 wis and keeps pumping it. Would be great to boost his to hit on both the weapon and implement attacks.

DracoSuave

First Post
Check with the DM. I doubt anyone would dispute that it's against RAW, but people might find it cheesy. And that may be enough to get it nixed :)

Seems just fine for a swordmage tho.

One man's cheesy is another man's awesome.

Put another way... you can narrate it. It's not difficult. No, -Milamber of Crydee- might not use his staff in distinct weapon kata in order to derive mystical effects, but -The Airbender- might. In 4e, you must divorce yourself from 'All Arcane Magic works exactly the same' for the simple reason you must divorce yourself from 'All Fighters use a sword and shield the same way.' This is exemplified by feat selection and power selection.

Some people derive feats and powers from concept, others derive concept from feats and powers; neither is badfun. The 'I use the weapon to make magic work' IS a fantasy trope, without even saying 'Swordmage.' Hell it's not even alien to D&D. I don't see the weapon/implement barrier as even -bad- really now that I've had time to absorb it, narratively speaking.

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
Seems an appropriate cost to me, since they're taking an entire paragon path for it.

Weapons as impeachments are good, but this is mostly a problem with non-weapon implements sucking. Weapons implements are about right on the power scale, even if they there is some weirdness like two-weapon fighting.

simen

First Post
When you first have taken a Fighter MC feat and a PP you will also take the "Battle Acumen" feat and get +2 hit with both weapon and implement. Quite nice :)

simen

First Post
You have a Fighter PP, Kensai. But you must take that other MC option? With "Novice Power", "Acolyte Power" and "Adept Power"?

I thought they meant that you had to take the MC only feat and a Fighter PP. So, my fault :)

Remove ads