Kholdstare's Scales of War 4E Campaign [Discussion] (FULL)

hafrogman

Adventurer
We do seem to have a preponderance of skirmishy melee types.

I've been looking at a couple of other concepts myself. A human invoker (ranged controller) or [-]dragonborn sorceror (ranged striker).[/-] If Insight and I coordinate who's who and rb780nm makes his adjustments, that'll leave us with:

Melee:
1 defender
1 striker
1.5 leaders

Ranged:
1 striker
1 controller
0.5 leaders

Which is a pretty good balance, I'd say. [-]Insight, Kholdstare, others: Feel free to let me know which, if either, you'd like to see in the game.[/-] Just saw Insight's edit, I'll go with Rhy then.

Rhys Belloc
Human Invoker 1
[sblock=character sheet]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rhys Belloc, level 1
Human, Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath
Background: Traveling Missionary (Traveling Missionary Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 11.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +6, Religion +8, Insight +9, History +6, Arcana +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Intimidate, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1, Athletics -1

FEATS
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Human: Implement Expertise (Staff)
Level 1: Battle Caster Defense

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Divine Bolts
Invoker at-will 1: Avenging Light
Invoker at-will 1: Astral Wind
Invoker encounter 1: Scourge of Heaven
Invoker daily 1: Binding Invocation of Chains

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Chainmail, Quarterstaff, Adventurer's Kit
RITUALS
Hand of Fate, Purify Water, Amanuensis
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock][Sblock=Background]Details pending...

An inveterate wanderer, Rhys has been on the road long enough that words such as 'home' have almost lost their meanings. But lately he has been having premonitions of changes coming. But instead of the world changing him, this time he shall be the instrument of change. Luck guides his path, and it has chosen to return him to his starting point. Nearly two decades after he left, will anyone recall the youth who left to seek his fortune?[/sblock][sblock=Appearance]
45669d1286215483-kholdstares-scales-war-d-d-4th-edition-campaign-discussion-full-98232.jpg
[/sblock]

[-]Doen
Dragonborn Sorcerer 1[/-]
[sblock=Character Sheet]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Doen, level 1
Dragonborn, Sorcerer
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Poison
Dragonborn: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Poison
Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +5, Intimidate +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Endurance +1, Heal, History +1, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion -1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +4, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Acid Orb
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar
Sorcerer daily 1: Dragonfang Bolt

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Dagger

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock][sblock=Background]Details pending...

Captured by hobgoblins as an egg and raised to fight for their amusement. Treated as an animal more than a person, the eventual manifestation of his magic gave him the edge he needed to escape, and seek his revenge.[/sblock][sblock=Appearance]
45670d1286215483-kholdstares-scales-war-d-d-4th-edition-campaign-discussion-full-desert_tribe_warrior_by_raxt0r.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
My Sorcerer is nearly all AoE powers (4/5 powers), so, with the Invoker, we should be set in terms of ranged and area effects now.

Someone

Adventurer
Just a word; I'm toying with the character's options (it's the first warlord I make) and probably will make a few adjustments before we start playing, but nothing radical.

Kholdstare

First Post
Party balance adjustment look swell, guys. Later this evening, I will create a Rogue's Gallery thread and ask you all to post your characters there. For those of you who have not done so, I would like to have a brief paragraph or two describing your character's appearance, personality, motivation, and so forth. (EDIT: Looking back over the thread, it looks like most of you have already done this. Thanks! I especially appreciate the pictures...I'll be able to use those for combat maps. Please consider selecting one for your PC if you haven't already.)

Meanwhile, I still need to get up to speed on all of the characters' abilities etc., but I'll try to get the IC thread going soon as well, just so you guys can all get on with the big meeting in the tavern schtick. :)

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Since I'm not sure the DM saw this before (since I added it to my character sheet post later)...

The next rules update makes Rapier a military weapon instead of a superior weapon (and so a weapon that Breena is proficient in automatically, as a military light blade). Since it's a strictly better weapon than the shortsword she's using now (she can't use a longsword one-handed because she's small, and swordmages get another two points of AC from Swordmage Warding if they stick one-handed weapons), I'd like to switch her weapon to a rapier. However, to get that to work in the character builder right now, I'd have to use the house rule functionality to give her the weapon proficiency (rapier) feat as an extra feat. Would this be okay?

Kholdstare

First Post
Since I'm not sure the DM saw this before (since I added it to my character sheet post later)...

The next rules update makes Rapier a military weapon instead of a superior weapon (and so a weapon that Breena is proficient in automatically, as a military light blade). Since it's a strictly better weapon than the shortsword she's using now (she can't use a longsword one-handed because she's small, and swordmages get another two points of AC from Swordmage Warding if they stick one-handed weapons), I'd like to switch her weapon to a rapier. However, to get that to work in the character builder right now, I'd have to use the house rule functionality to give her the weapon proficiency (rapier) feat as an extra feat. Would this be okay?

Sure, no problem! And, thanks for calling it to my attention. Indeed, I had not noticed.

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: I'll post this in the RG, too.

Vashtaryx, level 1
Dragonborn, Sorcerer

Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Fire
Dragonborn: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Scion of an Ancient Bloodline (Scion of an Ancient Bloodline Benefit)

ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 18.

[sblock=STARTING ABILITY SCORES]
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 16.[/sblock]

DEFENSES & HP
AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 10 Will: 16
HP: 25 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Athletics +9, History +10, Intimidate +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +1, Heal -1, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion +0, Stealth +0, Streetwise +4, Thievery +0

FEATS
Level 1: Ancient Soul

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Explosive Pyre
Sorcerer daily 1: Lightning Breath

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Dagger

APPEARANCE
Vashtaryx is a tall, imposing dragonborn, with red and gold scales, the combination giving off a sort of rusty sheen. He wears purple and scarlet robes, denoting the completion of an apprenticeship under the great dragonborn sorcerer, Kashaitas.

BACKGROUND IN BRIEF
Born to a great family from dragonborn lore, Vashtaryx claims direct descent from Tabarasha'as, a consort to great Bahamut. It is from this bloodline that Vashtaryx and his family draws their vast arcane power. This lineage has also given the family great power and influence in dragonborn society, a privilege that has given Vashtaryx access to a superior education. During the course of that education, Vashtaryx served an apprenticeship under the master sorcerer, Kashaitas, who helped Vashtaryx understand and hone his innate arcane powers. Kashaitas has just given the young apprentice his graduation robes and sent Vashtaryx into the world, to see what it offers a scion of Tabarasha'as and the family line of Bahamut.

Last edited:

Kholdstare

First Post
Some brief adventure background:

The Elsir Vale is a relatively civilized region in an otherwise dark and dangerous world. At the heart of the vale, the town of Brindol provides safe haven and welcome to travelers, traders and, of course, young adventurers of all stripes. However, Brindol is well known in the region for being the heart of a conflict with a large army of evil humanoids called the Red Hand, some ten years ago. The Red Hand razed much of the town and the surrounding vale, but was eventually turned back and destroyed thanks to the efforts of a powerful group of adventurers. Today, Brindol has been rebuilt, and the Hall of Great Valor keeps on display several relics commemorating the victory over the Red Hand. Yet, even in this time of peace, there are rumblings and rumors that dark forces may yet again be marshaling somewhere in the wilds of Elsir Vale. Bandit attacks on the local roads have been on the rise, and monster sightings have increased in the fields and woodlands.

Against this backdrop, six young adventurers have gathered at the Antler and Thistle Tavern in Brindol, eager to see the world and make their fortunes...

OOC: Please consider including some sort of brief lead-in to the opening scene at the tavern for the background on your character sheet. It matters not to me whether your characters know each other beforehand, or whether this will be their first meeting.

Kholdstare

First Post
Oh, one other thing. The adventure as written makes use of the 'parceling' method of treasure distribution, and invites me to ask you, the players, for wishlists. I'd recommend you take me up on this, so as not to be left to my newbish whims on what to dole out. An entry as part of your character sheets in the RG would not be amiss. :)

Remove ads