Khorvarian Days & Knights [IC]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
OOC: DarkMaster, because the zombie was only 10 feet away and could be reached by a 5' step... there wsn't enough room to make a charge (since you need at least 10' to charge). To keep things evened out, I thus dropped your power attack to -2 instead, thereby leaving you still at a +6 to hit.

>>>>>>>>>>

Sir Kolarred looks saddened at the wretched creature that used to be a well-respected soldier and man, and decides the best course of action would be to put the husk down. His soul is already on it's way to Dolurrh, so his body should also now be put to rest. He steps forward with his longsword raised high, and brings it across his body in a wide stroke...

Longsword +8 / -2 Power Attack = +6
((Attack [9] + 6 = 15 / AC 15))
**HIT**
((Dam [8] + 3 + 2 = 13))

...and just barely catches the outstretched leg of the creature. He almost had missed the swing completely, but thankfully the zombie stepped into the arc of the sword and caught a large gash across it's calf. It howls once more, and in a fury, tries to bring it's arm crashing down towards the paladin...

Slam +2
((Attack [16] + 2 = 18 / AC 21))
**MISS**

...and it bounces harmlessly off the magical steel plating covering Sir Kolarred's shoulder.

Tyler Du'Orien sees this occur and decides to make take his action next.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

First Post
Tyler looks upon the beast with disgust, and swings his Sharrash from the doorway in an attempt to down the walking dead (10' reach.)

(Talenta Sharrash +1 /attack +9/ power attack -4/ [19] + 5 = 24 ) Confirmation of Crit roll [16] + 5 = 21

(Damage [5] + 1 (magic) + 6 (1.5 str mod) + 8 ( power attack 4x2) = 20 if 21 confirms then it is 80 damage.

OOC: Oops I forgot about the no crit on undead rule... cuz one of my DMs allows Crits on undead... sorry... make that 20 dmg ;)

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The whirling blade of Tyler's sharrash comes flying by the shoulder of Sir Kolarred, and slices deeply through the shoulder of the zombie and down across it's body.

((Sharrash [19] + 5 = 24 / AC 15 [immune to critical hits]))
((Dam [5] + 1 + 6 + 8 = 20 / TOT DAM 33))

The fighter knows when he hits that it was indeed a good shot, as he can feel the snapping of the creature's sinues vibrate up the shaft of the weapon. The blade comes out the side of the torso of the creature... the chain shirt snaps off and drops to the floor... and the upper half of the zombie slides off and drops from the lower half. The two halvles of the creature now lie on two sides of the room.

Tyler steps into the room and smiles... and Sir Kolarred looks down at the creature with pity.

>>>>>>>>>>

OOC: Juggernaut, something to let you know... when I was reading the Eberron Campaign Setting Errata, I saw that they removed the x4 to the crit range of the Talenta Sharrash. So the weapon is only now supposed to be 19-20x2, not 19-20x4. Now personally I think that nerfs the weapon just enough to no longer be worth an exotic weaspon proficiency. So although I really can't allow to keep the weapon as it is (because a 19-20x4 crit range is just TOO huge and nasty and breaks most of the rules they set up in regards to weapon damage versus profs needed, and they apparently agreed and thus the errata), I will keep the weapon as 19-20x3 (which is still incredibly deadly when compared to other the two-handed weapon that has reach and allows trip attacks - guisarme 2d4/x3). If this works for you, then cool. But if you don't like this change, I'll allow you to retrofit Tyler to select a different weapon if you'd rather do that (if you wanted to take one that didn't require an exotic weapon prof and thus gain you a new feat for instance). Let me know. Thanx!

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
'How than would we recognize your partner? Well, I mean... no. We have not met anyone. The entire Waystation seems to be deserted but for you.'

'I... we've noticed the wagontrails outside.. the rain, well... how long have you been trapped in here anyways? How many highwayman did you see? And why in the Dark Six Name would highwaymen steal a prisoner? Who did you guard I mean.. and.. uh why is he a prisoner? Is that guy dangerous?'

The voice of Lynx trails off as Donoval Johns crawls through the hole and is helped to his feet by Zook. Lyran immediately steps forward to check to make sure the man is all right... and a quick scan tells him that there does not seem to be anything wrong with him. Donoval turns around and speaks quickly to both men (as well as the shifter, whose head can be seen through the opening.)

'I'm sorry. Yes, very sorry, let me explain. But time is short. Yet...'

He takes a few steps around the edge of the stable and looks at the waystation about 30 feet away.

'Um, might we do it inside? I really need to find Aaron, and once we find him, we can both explain together. Something is very wrong. Do you mind?'

Without waiting for a response, he turns and hurries off towards the front door of the waystation. Zook had taken a good look at the tunic the man was wearing... navy blue with a pair of crossed swords...

((Knowledge - Local [10] + 4 = 14 / DC 10))

...and does indeed recognize it as the colors of the Karrnath Royal Swords. The changeling nods to the two others and then follows close behind Donoval. Lyran throws a look to Lynx, who tells him he is going to take a quick look around inside the stable before joining them at the station. The cleric nods once, then turns and follows Zook and Johns inside.

Lynx stands back up and shines the rock around the stable, hoping to find some clue. He notices the small loft up above has a length of snapped rope tied to one of the rails, and he supposes this is where the guard was tied up. At the base of the ladder up to the loft he sees the impression in the disrupted dirt and supposes that the guard fell from the ladder as he tried to get down with his hands tied behind his back (and which would explain the thump he heard earlier). Other than that... there isn't much he can find out. Thus he wraps up his investigation and heads back to the waystation in hopes of further answers.

>>>>>>>>>>

Sir Kolarred and Tyler walk down the stairs from the second floor. The paladin carries the remains of the creature they destroyed wrapped up in a blanket, and the dragonmarked warrior holds the tunic, longsword, chain shirt, and traveling identification of the same. He had already taken a look... Aaron Lleir, Karrnath Royal Swords... and he knew that someone was going to pay for this.

As they reached the ground floor, the front door bursts open and in strides Donoval Johns... who stops short when he sees Tyler holding the equipment of his former partner. Johns' eyes widen and his face pales, and he stumbles over to one of the overstuffed chairs and falls into it in shock. A second later, Zook and Lyran walk into the building, and all four party members look at each other, and know there's a lot of explaining to do... both within the group, and with Donoval Johns.

Before getting right down to brass tacks, the party instead takes a little time to get settled in finally. One goes to take care of the horses, one brings in the equipment, one gets a fire started, etc.... and this gives Lynx enough time to finish up in the stable and join the men in the front room of the waystation, where their talks with Donoval Johns can begin.

**********​

OOC: Everyone receives 250 XP for the Waystation Encounter

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Koralled, approaches the second soldier relying on his ability to detect evil to ensure that this is not another undeath trying to fool them.

If he doesn't detect any evil he sits and starts discussing with the men about the Royal swords, subtely asking question about the unit, to verify his identity.

OOC Diplomacy +12 , Kolarred fought for a few years with the Karrnath army so I assume he knows about this unit knowledge nobility +6, sense motive +6

Tor L'Tha

First Post
While the others are making the fire and seteling in the waystation, Zook goes outside in the woods and finds some branches to make arrows with. After a short while he returns to the waystation where he takes to the wall opposite of the main entrance.

“So Donoval, you wanted to tell us something was wrong... you can feel free to tell us what you want now, you may begin with telling us your position in the Karrnath Royal Swords I have noticed your colors” Sense motive Roll(1d20)+6:15,+6 Total:21

While he hears Donoval talk, he take some tools out of the backpack and begins the making of arrows, he uses long time in the process and makes 4 arrows, he wraps the end whit a piece of old clothing and soaks it with lantern oil, he carefully puts them in a arrow case. Craft (fletching) Roll(1d20)+8: 17,+8 Total:25

Last edited:

Zweischneid

First Post
Strolling into the common room, Lynx first of all heads straight for the fledgling fire. Thankful for the warmth, he places his cloak and a few other belongings near the hearth to dry and makes himself comfortable as close to the blaze as possible.

Once he's reasonably dry, he upends a few pockets and one of his bags, spilling scrap-papers, feathers, polished stones, vials, a trailration and similar things onto the table. Lynx than arranges the whole clutter with utmost care into what appears to be just an even greater mess, adamantly ignoring the bedraggled, moaning cat that stalks the set-up trying to get the Wizards attention.

Seemingly satisfied, he deftly spins and juggles one of the ink-vial between his clawlike finger, causing the dark liquid inside to turn into a bright purple and begins, again with great determination, to draw a few delinations and scribbled notes into his notebooks, only looking up occasionally to nod approvingly at one of Kolarreds questions or one of Donovans answers.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Donoval Johns shifts in his chair and pulls his eyes away from the body of his former partner, still being held by Sir Kolarred. He looks around the room at the five men, and as the questions come flying at him, his head swims and he takes a second to shake the cobwebs out of what has been an incredibly stressful day.

'My story is a simple one... although methinks the entire book will be quite long before we are all through. My name is Donoval Johns, and I am a member of the Karrnath Royal Swords... it is our duty to protect the roads and paths of our nation, as well as perform any other duties a protective force must carry out. My... partner... and I were transferring a prisoner from Atur to the Deneith prison facilities in Karrlakton.

As far as the prisoner is concerned... are any of you familiar with an ancient religion call The Blood of Vol?'

Lyran, the pilgrim for the Silver Flame nods his head.

((Knowledge Religion [11] + 8 = 19 / DC 15))

Lyran relays to the others how the Blood of Vol were (and some believe still are), a small group of individuals who believe blood is the source of life and undeath is the path to divinity. The city of Atur still has a large temple called the Crimson Monastery dedicated to the religion. Needless to say, this doesn't sit well with some of the members of the group.

'The male we held prisoner was actually a priest of the Blood of Vol. Or at least he was arrested and convicted as such. Now ordinarily that in of itself would not be a cause for judgement... the Karrnathi people ARE free to worship whomever they choose, unlike some of the more STRICT nations of Khorvaire...'

He throws a look to Lyran, whose holy symbol of the Silver Flame hangs prominently from his neck.

'However, that being said... there are some things that even a free man of the cloth cannot do, and forcibly transforming people into the state of undeath without their consent is one of the most heinous. And that is precisely what this half-orc was convicted of.'

He looks at the five men in the eyes to gauge their reactions to this revelation.

'We had stopped here for the night here before continuing on to Karrlakton in the morning when we were attacked by a group of highwaymen. I was outside by our security carriage, making sure the prisoner would be set for the evening... when I was jumped. I can only assume that Aaron...'

He looks again at the wrapped body in Kolarred's arms.

'Um... could you perhaps DO something with him, please? Thank you. Uh... where was I? Oh... I assume Aaron was also attacked. I was quickly knocked for a loop, and then tied to a post in the loft of the stable. I guess Aaron had more of a chance to defend himself, although had he surrendered or gone down, he might have been able to save his own life.'

He looks down in saddness.

'I really don't know much more than that... other than a couple snippets of words here and there as I was hauled into the stable and tied up. I guess they believed I was unconscious, although luckily I did still have a small bit of wits about me. They mentioned the Blood of Vol... the Ashen Spires... a man named Rod... and needing the priest's help. That's about all.'

Tor L'Tha

First Post
Zook eyes goes from Kolarred to Lynx to Tyler and Lyran, watching if any of them reacted on the petition of doing something whit the undead.

"This now fugitive priest of the Blood of Vol, what is his name? how many do you think your attackers were?" That is something maybe I can figure out by searching the stable for tracks. "This ron you mentioned was that the leader of the bandit group? What others tings besides a carriage, things of importance did you and Aaron carry? The Ashen Spires are north of here aren’t they?" Knowledge (local): Roll(1d20)+4: 8,+4 Total:12

Zook will wait to Donoval answers his cuestions, if Donoval know how many the attacker were he stays in the waystation, if not, he will go outside and inspect the stable for clues about how many the attacker were. Search: Roll(1d20)+8: 12,+8 Total:20

Zweischneid

First Post
They mentioned the Blood of Vol... the Ashen Spires... a man named Rod... and needing the priest's help. That's about all.'

..scribble.. ..scribble.. ..scribble..

Turning around one of his sheets of paper, Lynx notices that the backside is covered with scetches and notes pertaining to the Emerald Claw while the frontside is now filled with hints and rumors about this mysterious blood-cult.

'Damn, what a day!'

Remove ads